You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SaltyMoonshine

The Queen Elizabeth is the worst T-6 BB in the game. Change my mind.

23 comments in this topic

[NASSA]
Members
48 posts
4,722 battles

Three times I've tried to grind the UK BB line, and every single time I have to stop after just a couple of games in the Queen Elizabeth - and I've only done operations in it. 

This thing is just awful. The guns are woefully inaccurate, it's made of gasoline and catches every fire thrown at it, it's slower than a dog with one leg, and every time I play Aegis I die at the first encounter when the entire enemy team focuses me down as the ship can't tank anything.

Contrast with the West Virginia and I do 100k operations, Aegis included, without any problems, and the only thing it has going for it is decently accurate 406mm guns. 

But get in the Queen Elizabeth and the ship is an endurance test. It is dreadful. There is no way in hell I want to try taking this thing into random battles because it can't even clear the first hurdle of the race in operations. 

BUT....it's standing between me trying to advance the UK BB line. I don't have the free exp to get past it atm.How does anyone make this absolute garbage bote work? 

Spoiler

shot-20.02.15_18.56.04-0390.jpg

shot-20.02.15_18.56.20-0724.jpg

shot-20.02.15_18.56.13-0218.jpg

Edited by SaltyMoonshine
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,001 posts
5,814 battles

Statistically, as of this post on NA the worst tier 6 battleship is New Mexico. On EU the worst is Bayern.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
38 minutes ago, SaltyMoonshine said:

Three times I've tried to grind the UK BB line, and every single time I have to stop after just a couple of games in the Queen Elizabeth - and I've only done operations in it. 

This thing is just awful. The guns are woefully inaccurate, it's made of gasoline and catches every fire thrown at it, it's slower than a dog with one leg, and every time I play Aegis I die at the first encounter when the entire enemy team focuses me down as the ship can't tank anything.

Contrast with the West Virginia and I do 100k operations, Aegis included, without any problems, and the only thing it has going for it is decently accurate 406mm guns. 

But get in the Queen Elizabeth and the ship is an endurance test. It is dreadful. There is no way in hell I want to try taking this thing into random battles because it can't even clear the first hurdle of the race in operations. 

BUT....it's standing between me trying to advance the UK BB line. I don't have the free exp to get past it atm.How does anyone make this absolute garbage bote work? 

Hide contents

Sounds like youre shooting HE. Stop doing that, start shooting AP. Its a good ship same tier, the problems start when you get thrown in tier 8 matches. The ap on her is really good on cruisers, if youre the kind of numpt who only shoots bbs then youre in trouble.

anyway the kgv is a beast so just tighten your gluts and grind. The monarch is worse so beware.

Edited by monpetitloup

[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,325 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Sounds like youre shooting HE. Stop doing that, start shooting AP.

^So much this.  I see QE players thinking the UK BB line are all HE spammers.  But the AP on QE is quite good.  In Aegis, you can outright one salvo delete those BB's who sail out broadside.  

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles

In Aegis, if you sit back and spam the vanguard, then you are too slow to move thru without being focused down by the column from the NW. You will die. Push, AP, dodge torps...

[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,502 battles

I thought the same thing, I hated the QE, then after I ground her out my stats said that I really did like her. It only took 5 battles to grind past her.

shot-20_02.15_08_20.54-0978.thumb.jpg.f2c01c151b8a774afdb218babcd9a782.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,342 battles

I did not enjoy the grind through Queen Elizabeth, at all, in any way. But the one tier 6 BB I would NEVER want to grind again was Izmail. Whoever thought up her turret design should be sent to the Gulag, and then be beaten with empty vodka bottles. And where did her side armor go? The thing can be penned by sailors kids shooting wrist rockets from the banks of the harbor. So while QE was bad, she will never be at the bottom of the list while Izzy is in the game.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles
30 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I did not enjoy the grind through Queen Elizabeth, at all, in any way. But the one tier 6 BB I would NEVER want to grind again was Izmail. Whoever thought up her turret design should be sent to the Gulag, and then be beaten with empty vodka bottles. And where did her side armor go? The thing can be penned by sailors kids shooting wrist rockets from the banks of the harbor. So while QE was bad, she will never be at the bottom of the list while Izzy is in the game.

Lol Umikami! I don't have Izmail (and not interested) but everything I read about her was to "go bow in giving up one turret of firepower and never show your broadside. At least you are brave enough to try her...

[WPORT]
Members
7,215 posts
12,216 battles

Change yer own mind.  I'm not going to.  I've been under-whelmed by the Q.E., too.  :Smile_veryhappy:

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles

yeah, gonna have to go with the idea the QE is garbage.

The Iron Duke was certainly OK for T5, and the KGV is quite good for T7.

But (and I'm a real AP user on the RN BBs, so it's not the HE performance), the QE is definitely severely sub-par for the line.  She's the Emerald of the RN BB line.

The armor is awful, and you eat pens all over the place for stuff you could bounce in other ships, not to mention take reliable citadels much more easily than other RN BBs (except the Nelson).

You don't have the improved heal, the turret rotation is possibly the worst of the line, and, oh god, are the guns awful.  I get more hits, and do more damage, in the lowly Iron Duke than I do the QE. Heck, I can hit more stuff in the Bayern.

There's always one ship (at minimum) in a line that's the pits, and the QE is definitely the one for the RN BB line.

[-N-]
Members
274 posts
16,972 battles
On 2/15/2020 at 9:41 AM, Umikami said:

THANK YOU!!!! I've been saying this for AGES but nobody agrees with me. Forget the fact that you have to show full broadside to get off most of your firepower, forget that WG forgot to add meaningful armor, forget that I have on several times  brawled with Izmail at point blank range in Exeter, Perth, Indy or Fiji and gotten away with it thanks to the wild inconsistency of the guns even in the supposed death zone (which is real enough on other Russian battleships like Pyotr or Sinop or Vlad) Oh no, it's Russian so it must be good; also Spreadsheet doesn't lie :cap_haloween:

Sorry OP, that was a tangent. I don't remember having too much trouble in Queen Elizabeth myself, but I ground through her back in January of last year so I can't remember how I did it. I do still regularly play Warspite, and although she's very unique some things still stay the same.
--You have 15 inch guns at T6. And unlike Warspite your HE is actually good. Use both ammo types.
--You have a turtleback, not a great one like the Germans but still better than what the Japanese and the Russians have. So angling helps a lot.
--Most BBs at T6 have decent secondary range to complement their main guns. QE does not. So don't be a back-camper but keep a safe distance. 

[FTH]
Members
1,016 posts
16,246 battles

When I ground QE I sold and bought the ship back 13 times in total...6 of those times just in one weekend...you wont see me try to defend it lol.

• Funny 1

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles
On 2/24/2020 at 6:36 AM, Nine_Lives_ said:

Sorry OP, that was a tangent. I don't remember having too much trouble in Queen Elizabeth myself, but I ground through her back in January of last year so I can't remember how I did it. I do still regularly play Warspite, and although she's very unique some things still stay the same.
--You have 15 inch guns at T6. And unlike Warspite your HE is actually good. Use both ammo types.

Im currently regrinding her on a line reset, and she's far worse than I remember, in actual play.

Unfortunately, QE's guns can't hit the broad side of a skyscraper. The Bayern has better accuracy guns, and they're 15" too.  The New Mexico has 50% more 14" rifles, and they hit harder and more consistently than the QEs. Same for the Izmail. The Fuso's 14" have radically better accuracy. And Normandie, while only 13", has 50% more guns and more accuracy. 

Overall, even taking the RN HE into account, the QE has by far the worst guns of the entire T6 BBs.  This is made much, much, much worse by the fact that you can't aim them at anything: the turret traverse is so attrocious that you can't keep your guns on anything in even the slightest turn. And you can't possibly react to anything.

So in terms of "getting shells on target", the QE is waaaaay below everything else, which outclass her in range, ROF, number of rifles, and ability to train on target.   Have the 25mm AP overmatch doesn't make a whit of difference.  Even the RN HE isn't good enough to compensate, because you can't LAND SHELLS. 

--You have a turtleback, not a great one like the Germans but still better than what the Japanese and the Russians have. So angling helps a lot.

The turttleback is pretty useless. It's no more effective against enemy BBs than the normal armor scheme of the NewMex or Fuso. 

The QE suffers from the same problem the Normandie does:  too much 25mm armor all over the place, which means you eat pens while angling. 

Yes, the QE's armor is better than the Izmail while broadsiding, but in any other situation, it's considerably inferior. The Izmail is much more able to angle well, and doesn't have the easy-to-HE-farm superstructure or upper decks. 

So, in practice, the QE's armor scheme is inferior to all the other T6 BBs:

• it can't tank AP broadside like the Bayern
  • it can't tank AP angled like the NewMex or Fuso or Izmail or Bayern (won't eat citadels, but won't bounce either - lots of pens)
  • it won't take overpens, as the armor is sufficient to cause a pen instead in the vast majority of the ship (including the normally overpen-reliable bow/stern)
  • It's very vulnerable to HE spam, with lots of nice 25mm and 38mm armor decks that HE loves to pen.

--Most BBs at T6 have decent secondary range to complement their main guns. QE does not. So don't be a back-camper but keep a safe distance. 

QE's secondaries are pathetic. the AA is OK, though.

But the worst part of the QE is that she's BY FAR the least maneuverable of the T6 BBs.  She's only marginally faster than the New Mexico, but turns far, far worse, including bleeding speed in a turn at an atrocious rate.  She CANNOT push, and CANNOT keep her guns on things well enough to be even a second line support vessel.

The result is a ship that does well at really one playstyle:  sitting far in the back, Spamming HE at anything (but primarily BBs), slowly steaming in straight lines in order to keep it's very Blah guns trained at targets.  It really is the worst of the T6 BBs. No contest.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,878 posts
25,114 battles

Queen Elizabeth's performance is actually middle of the road.  The worst?

Worst Tier VI Battleship in performance is New Mexico.

Slow reload.

No Overmatch advantage like 16" and 15" guns do this tier.

Lackluster USN BB dispersion.

If all that isn't enough, she has 1.5 Sigma.

Terrible gun range for a Battleship.

21kt Speed.

Slow, massive target.  Very easy to hit.  The bulky ship invites lots of AP Pens at least, and the very pronounced superstructure invites lots of easy HE shell hits.

Even in the very specific confines of Tier VI Ranked where BBs should do well, New Mexico is a regular bottom feeder.

Here's also an interesting fact.  Arizona's gunnery shares many of the same terrible characteristics as New Mexico's guns.  She even has worse reload than New Mexico.  But Arizona is well loved due to her gunnery.  So what gives?  What's the difference?

Arizona's 1.8 Sigma vs NM's 1.5

Arizona has the consistency that New Mexico wishes she had.

Arizona has has always placed highly in Tier VI Ranked, alongside other longtime top performing BBs that tier.  The traditional Top 3 Tier VI BBs in Ranked are, in no particular order, Warspite, Arizona, and tech tree Fuso.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
7,215 posts
12,216 battles

I've got both the Q.E. and the New Mexico.

I've played more games with New Mexico in Co-op and Operations than Queen Elizabeth.

Q.E., especially when "stock" and hasn't had the turret rotation upgraded or other improvements researched & mounted, doesn't perform satisfactorily.

With the proper modules, upgrades and Captain's Skills, Q.E.'s performance improves.
But, that can be said of most ships.

New Mexico doesn't attempt to hide that it is a slow and typical US Navy Battleship of it's design era. 
It is honest about what it is, and that is why it hasn't disappointed me.

P.S.  At least Mutsu has torpedoes for entertaining close-quarters encounters.  :-)

Members
949 posts
2,321 battles
On 2/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, SaltyMoonshine said:

Reveal hidden contents

Part of why it's bad is because Warspite is a premium which fixes pretty much all the issues. I agree with you but on the other hand QE being good or bad depends on play style. Thing is most people whose play style would lead them to play UK BB's aren't going to enjoy the QE which despite being a "fast battleship" seems like something that USN BB players would enjoy. I will say suffering through it will probably make KGV seem better. 

Also QE has 16 inchers I could swear it's got only 15?

[CSN]
Members
22 posts
9,647 battles

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents