You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nergy

2 Tier 6 CVs have so many planes?

25 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
234 posts
12,285 battles

How can that be even remotely fair that 2 carriers can have so many planes?

We shot down 164 planes in a tier 6 match.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,455 posts
14,821 battles

You probably shot down a lot of fighters from the fighter consumable which don't count towards the hanger capacity.

• Funny 2

Members
324 posts
18 minutes ago, Nergy said:

"We"?  You mean you and another player? Or you and your whole team?  

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You probably shot down a lot of fighters from the fighter consumable which don't count towards the hanger capacity.

And of course don't you can't forget spotters and catapult fighters.

• Cool 1

[JUGG]
Members
6 posts
11,864 battles

well since WG rework the CVs to were you don't have a limit amount of planes anymore it mess up the CVs.  miss the old days of the CVs. When the rework first came out in my first match I face 2 CVs with my Flint I alone shot down 100 planes it was a T6 and T8 CVs before I finally sink by those 2 CVs in the old ways they both would been out of attack planes way before hand.  

Members
1,462 posts
10,247 battles

Some fighters from the consumables can't possibly equal even half of that 164 planes. That's a lot of annoying CV crap to deal with in a tier that doesn't really have AA that's really that good.  Even if the enemy CV weren't coordinated enough to just grief one person at a time it's still a lot of annoying CV crap to deal with. But spread sheet says we're having fun.

Members
1,969 posts
52 battles

The amount of planes shot down in a match can be misleading because fighters count towards it which have absolutely no impact on reserves at all.
Case and point:
hntReEh.png

On the other hand, T6 CVs typically get around 85-90 planes in a full 20 minute match.

[KMS]
Beta Testers
309 posts
17,648 battles

it is because THERE IS NOTHING REALISTIC ABOUT THE "new" (VS ORIGIONAL)  carrier system , it just fakes it.

the old system CVs had their normal complement and when they died that was it.

the old way you could attack with mult squadrons as in real life tactics.

the new system you play one squadron attacking 3 planes at a time, which is suicide for aircraft against WW2 grade AA

so to compensate they gave the CVs unlimited airplanes held in check slightly by the time  bring up new planes to the flight deck

In the old system you played the CV and used fighter squadrons to take out the red planes, till they red cv had no planes.

the new system is just porting world of warplanes into this game. to try to get a different type of player interested in this game and CVs.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,455 posts
14,821 battles
13 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

it is because THERE IS NOTHING REALISTIC ABOUT THE "new" (VS ORIGIONAL)  carrier system , it just fakes it.

the old system CVs had their normal complement and when they died that was it.

the old way you could attack with mult squadrons as in real life tactics.

the new system you play one squadron attacking 3 planes at a time, which is suicide for aircraft against WW2 grade AA

so to compensate they gave the CVs unlimited airplanes held in check slightly by the time  bring up new planes to the flight deck

In the old system you played the CV and used fighter squadrons to take out the red planes, till they red cv had no planes.

the new system is just porting world of warplanes into this game. to try to get a different type of player interested in this game and CVs.

There was nothing realistic about the RTS system either.

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
374 posts
14,651 battles
3 hours ago, Nergy said:

It’s almost like they can continually spawn planes. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,805 battles
3 hours ago, Nergy said:

Ever seen the movie "Midway"? 

That's what Wows is now :)

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,080 posts
11,783 battles

Two nights ago I shot down 62 planes in my Massachusetts alone 51 from the carriers there were 2 CVs in that game .  Last night 39 with the JB but there was only one CV he focused me the whole game even though I was with 2 other ships most of the time .  He final helped sink me but it took a while and I guess he couldn’t bother anyone else so that was good it is what it is . To be fair last night I also got Dev struck in my 3/4 health Thunderer by a Yamato I didn’t even see . That might have been more annoying than the CVs at least I saw the planes coming . 

• Boring 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,371 battles
11 hours ago, Nergy said:

Once you add all fighter consumables for 2 CVs, you get 9 x 3 x 2 = 54 fighters... Those are not "hangar planes". Then, some CVs have more planes but weaker than others... So you can be able to shoot that many but it means the CVs ended the battle totally deplaned, was it the case? True that 164 seems a lot... 

The number of planes is not realistic but it's not unlimited as many player believe.

In WOWS, no ship has limited ammunition. No destroyer could load and reload torps as in WoWs... They could max launch 2 salves. Battleships had more shells, something around 1000 shells, AP, HE, star shells, etc so we can consider WoWs realistic in this case.

CVs never get completely deplaned but if not careful, the last minutes, squadrons with one or two planes only can be launched allowing spotting only.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,273 posts
5,775 battles
13 hours ago, ArabianSam said:

well since WG rework the CVs to were you don't have a limit amount of planes anymore it mess up the CVs.  miss the old days of the CVs. When the rework first came out in my first match I face 2 CVs with my Flint I alone shot down 100 planes it was a T6 and T8 CVs before I finally sink by those 2 CVs in the old ways they both would been out of attack planes way before hand.  

You're lying.

Hangars, with maximum regeneration, are about the same size as they were in the RTS days.  Fighters are useless, fractional HP drones that get slaughtered by AA and run up plane kill counts while making idiots think CVs have unlimited planes.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,585 posts

as an example:

In WW2 if USN carriers were in range of islands with MC aircraft based on them, air cover was provided by the land based aircraft, which is why land based MC aircraft had their tail-hooks put back on, so when flying air cover they could refuel etc multiple times on the CV before eventually flying back to the island they were based.

hence you can draw comparison as to why the fighter consumable element doesn't detract from  hangar capacity per se.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
23 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Hangars, with maximum regeneration, are about the same size as they were in the RTS days.

To be fair, it depends on the tier.

Ranger, for example, has almost as many planes between squadrons and deck reserve, as it had total in RTS.

It gets closer as you go up in tiers, since although the deck gets more planes, the regen gets slower.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

On the other hand, T6 CVs typically get around 85-90 planes in a full 20 minute match.

Not really typical though. To get that theoretical maximum, you'd need to have a heavy AA ship sitting right off the CV bow, and use the squadrons in sequential order. And matches go short at least as often as they go the full 20, so there's a lot of matches where you can't go through a historical hangar capacity.

It's the reverse of RTS. In those days, shorter matches were better, because you had full access to your reserves right from the get-go. Longer matches was where you ran out of planes. (assuming equally skilled CV opponents.

I think the regen system is pretty well-designed for what it does-maintain operating tempo, regardless of match length.

It could definitely use some tweaking of regen times/deck reserves though. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
1 hour ago, franz_von_goltz said:

CVs never get completely deplaned but if not careful, the last minutes, squadrons with one or two planes only can be launched allowing spotting only.

I know in my T6s, with the usual match length, I don't quite get to that point, but in the second half, it's common to not be able to launch a full squadron of the planes I want.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
14 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

Some fighters from the consumables can't possibly equal even half of that 164 planes.

No, it's more like 1/3.

But that assumes none of those 164 planes were CV CAP fighters or surface ship spotters/fighters.

Once you factor those in, you could get to 1/2. No real way to know except for a replay.

Members
1,462 posts
10,247 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

No, it's more like 1/3.

But that assumes none of those 164 planes were CV CAP fighters or surface ship spotters/fighters.

Once you factor those in, you could get to 1/2. No real way to know except for a replay.

I would need to see an actual break down of the planes to believe that was even possible and not a 1 out of 1000 game occurrence. If half the planes in a game shot down where fighters I seriously doubt CV would be as griefy on matches as they are, specially with CV like Kaga.

Members
1,462 posts
10,247 battles
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

The amount of planes shot down in a match can be misleading because fighters count towards it which have absolutely no impact on reserves at all.
Case and point:
hntReEh.png

Well that creates another problem then. Another reason why bringing back the old Shift+ left click AA UI should happen. If this is indeed the case we need to be able to select what our AA is defending against.  Since we can only make it reinforce left or right sector that's a lot of AA defense wasted on stuff that can't even strike us.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,244 posts
9,606 battles
19 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

I would need to see an actual break down of the planes to believe that was even possible and not a 1 out of 1000 game occurrence. If half the planes in a game shot down where fighters I seriously doubt CV would be as griefy on matches as they are, specially with CV like Kaga.

Well, 1/3 is common, as squadrons will often use all their fighter consumables, and those are oftwn shot down.

After that, it depends on the tier of the match. It was probably a T6-8 match, (T5 ships aren't shooting down 164 planes in a match) so just for fun, let's say 7 ships have fighters. If they have 3 consumables each, that's 21 consumables. At 3 fighters per, that's 63 planes, which makes a total of 117 possible fighters. (over 2/3)

And that assumes that the OP's CV wasn't a potato and went after the enemy CV. Otherwise, you can add another 4 fighters for every time he tried.

Now, it's pretty unlikely you're going to see every consumable used, and every fighter out of those consumables shot down, but it's also pretty unlikely you're going to get a game where 2 T6 CVs lose 164 planes.

In general, plane losses in any match are going to be between 33-66% fighters, and the more planes shot down, the higher the percentage, as more planes shot down = longer match = more fighter consumables used.

We'd really need a replay to do more than estimate though.

Members
1,969 posts
52 battles
52 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Not really typical though.

I already deducted 5-10 planes from the theoretical maximum, therefore 85-90. The theoretical maximum is around 95.

33 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Well that creates another problem then. Another reason why bringing back the old Shift+ left click AA UI should happen. If this is indeed the case we need to be able to select what our AA is defending against.  Since we can only make it reinforce left or right sector that's a lot of AA defense wasted on stuff that can't even strike us.

Don't worry, DPS applies full damage to all squads within your AA. So if you have 50 DPS and there are two squads inside it, both will suffer 50 DPS.

Members
1,462 posts
10,247 battles
36 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I already deducted 5-10 planes from the theoretical maximum, therefore 85-90. The theoretical maximum is around 95.

Don't worry, DPS applies full damage to all squads within your AA. So if you have 50 DPS and there are two squads inside it, both will suffer 50 DPS.

Well on one hand that doesn't seem fair to the CV player ( I can't believe I said that) on the other hand I would still like to direct all the AA firepower at the attacking squadron and not rely on them being bad at the Flak-dodge mini-game. I guess in the current system spreading AA out like that isn't technically an issue since they only control 1 squadron...but that just makes the entire CV/AA even more of a needlessly convoluted mess by wg.

Edited by Vekta408