You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Warlord_Deadeye_Pete

BASIC team and ship tactics: where to start..

7 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,677 battles

I.    World of warships has a real world sport analog when it comes to maneuver and positioning and this is American Football.  Should be most more or less familiar to most US players  (and the Ozzies too as they have a version of their own).  In football strats the field is divided up into imaginary zones and play and position is about covering those zones.   Ships have like roles.. Half backs, Full backs Tackles, Guards Ends etc with one big difference.  In world of warship EVERYONE is a ball carrier because everyone can score (ie cap) and all the roles are interchangeable depending on your and the oppositions position on the map.

II.    Once you see the similarities its really pretty simple.   And it shows clearly why lemming trains generally do NOT work.  If the lemming train pulls up short (ie: gets tackled) then the effect of "mass of fire" is countered and the secondary effect of a lemming train is exposed which is it leaving the rest of the map uncovered.  When the rest of the map is uncovered you get flanked, cross fired and generally loose. 

III. Shells move fast.. ships move slow. The bigger the ship the less responsive to your desire to go anywhere in a hurry it is.  So you must plan ahead.  You must also maintain "Mass".  When one ship pushes on and the other ship break away and run you loose "mass" leaving the forward ships as a sacrifice.  This is NOT world of tanks. Recovering from even being two ships down from the other team can be difficult if not impossible especially when the team that is down ships is giving ground and running.  And it makes very little difference what type of ships they are.  If you give ground you surrender initiative.   The team with initiative gets to choose where the fights are. The team that surrenders the initiative generally spends the rest of the match loosing. 

IV.  Air power does not change the basis premise.  All aircraft are in this game are "smart" shells that take somewhat longer to "reload" when expended..  This is why CV's have 3 different types of aircraft.

V.   To cap successfully you need either the opposition not interfering with your action or coverage tying them up (ie: taking them under fire) and either sinking them or driving them off.   If your team is not where they can do this then all going into a cap (as a DD especially) is tell the opposition where you are.  Expect to receive a great deal of unwanted attention soon. 

VI.  Gunnery:  Dispersion and sigma is something all ships deal with to a lesser or greater degree.   A Fuso for example has a maximum dispersion of 241 meters at it's normal maximum range of 21.8 Km.  At half that range it's dispersion is pretty much half that amount which is why a Fuso can utterly blat a DD or cruiser with good aim at 10 Km as its dispersion at this range is only about 100 to 120m which is within the length of most cruisers and a good many DD's..(ships in this game are oversized and NOT TO SCALE so it is easier to hit them.)   especially when you DO NOT salvo fire but fire each turret singly. the effects of poor sigma values are also reduced.   You can't sink 'em if you don't hit 'em.  SO get to a range you can consistently hit them.  this ties into the next point.

Know the numbers for your ship of choice and and move to your advantage.

VII.  No Guts, No Glory.   I see it match after match after match. If you don't fight.  You lose.  If your not firing your guns as often as you possibly can then your not hitting targets, your not damaging targets, and likely not sinking targets.   This is pretty much essential to winning..  Yea I know, go figure!

VIII.  It's not the ship.. It's YOU.  The ship is just a tool.  Some tools are better then others, but a tool that is not used is useless.    If your ship cannot do long range fire get closer.  If your ship moves slow, move sooner, and more directly to where you NEED to be to use your guns or torps or AA, or to take or assist an other in taking an objective, ie: capture point.   Have a plan and stick with it.   A poor plan followed through on beats a perfect plan after the match is over every single time.  The number one limiting factor on player performance is what the player perceives. And any stage magician will tell and provide handy proofs that human perception is flawed.. badly flawed. SO your always ALWAYS going to miss something.  The secret of winning a match is your team making less mistakes then the other team.   The single biggest most influential mistake I see match after match is not getting stuck in.  Of thinking "I'll just wait. Opportunity will present it's self."  Make opportunity.  It's rarely going to be presented to you on a platter.

IX.   Matches are 20 minutes long max and most matches are decided with in the first 5 to 10 minutes.   Pay attention to the positions of friendly ships and the known positions of enemy ships.. count the beans.  If you don't see them where are they?  If your team has an open flank and half the enemy ships are not accounted for.. They're where your team isn't every single time. 

X.    A good many wins are determined by the one to three ships that didn't join the lemming train and went and covered the open flank.  They "tackled" the opposing team and tied them up giving the lemming train time to do it's lemming thing, assuming the lemming train didn't stop moving but pushed on through.    These players are rarely appreciated for what they do.    So don't just follow the crowd, get out front and LEAD the crowd.  And if you cannot lead get behind the crowd and PUSH.   You win or lose as a team effort.  Anyone who tells you different is strait out lying to you.  They may even believe it.  And that is the real shame.   Don't depend on a unicum saving the match.. you need to save it yourself by the actions you take.

Good Luck, Good Hunting.

P.S. Like any good "dicta" the above is not fool proof.  Any fool can screw it up!   My intentions are pure and I positively HATE loosing and I suspect your not a fan of it either  ! So please learn from the condensed counter to my own mistakes above so you don't have to make as many of your own!

Warlord sends.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,211 posts
16,179 battles

Australian Rules football might have positions, but it is nothing like American football. American football is based more on what the British call Rugby.

Also, BASIC tactics:

10 Shoot stuff.

20 Don't die unnecessarily

30 GOTO 10

RUN

:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,795 battles
5 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I.    World of warships has a real world sport analog when it comes to maneuver and positioning and this is American Football.  Should be most more or less familiar to most US players  (and the Ozzies too as they have a version of their own).  In football strats the field is divided up into imaginary zones and play and position is about covering those zones.   Ships have like roles.. Half backs, Full backs Tackles, Guards Ends etc with one big difference.  In world of warship EVERYONE is a ball carrier because everyone can score (ie cap) and all the roles are interchangeable depending on your and the oppositions position on the map.

II.    Once you see the similarities its really pretty simple.   And it shows clearly why lemming trains generally do NOT work.  If the lemming train pulls up short (ie: gets tackled) then the effect of "mass of fire" is countered and the secondary effect of a lemming train is exposed which is it leaving the rest of the map uncovered.  When the rest of the map is uncovered you get flanked, cross fired and generally loose. 

III. Shells move fast.. ships move slow. The bigger the ship the less responsive to your desire to go anywhere in a hurry it is.  So you must plan ahead.  You must also maintain "Mass".  When one ship pushes on and the other ship break away and run you loose "mass" leaving the forward ships as a sacrifice.  This is NOT world of tanks. Recovering from even being two ships down from the other team can be difficult if not impossible especially when the team that is down ships is giving ground and running.  And it makes very little difference what type of ships they are.  If you give ground you surrender initiative.   The team with initiative gets to choose where the fights are. The team that surrenders the initiative generally spends the rest of the match loosing. 

IV.  Air power does not change the basis premise.  All aircraft are in this game are "smart" shells that take somewhat longer to "reload" when expended..  This is why CV's have 3 different types of aircraft.

V.   To cap successfully you need either the opposition not interfering with your action or coverage tying them up (ie: taking them under fire) and either sinking them or driving them off.   If your team is not where they can do this then all going into a cap (as a DD especially) is tell the opposition where you are.  Expect to receive a great deal of unwanted attention soon. 

VI.  Gunnery:  Dispersion and sigma is something all ships deal with to a lesser or greater degree.   A Fuso for example has a maximum dispersion of 241 meters at it's normal maximum range of 21.8 Km.  At half that range it's dispersion is pretty much half that amount which is why a Fuso can utterly blat a DD or cruiser with good aim at 10 Km as its dispersion at this range is only about 100 to 120m which is within the length of most cruisers and a good many DD's..(ships in this game are oversized and NOT TO SCALE so it is easier to hit them.)   especially when you DO NOT salvo fire but fire each turret singly. the effects of poor sigma values are also reduced.   You can't sink 'em if you don't hit 'em.  SO get to a range you can consistently hit them.  this ties into the next point.

Know the numbers for your ship of choice and and move to your advantage.

VII.  No Guts, No Glory.   I see it match after match after match. If you don't fight.  You lose.  If your not firing your guns as often as you possibly can then your not hitting targets, your not damaging targets, and likely not sinking targets.   This is pretty much essential to winning..  Yea I know, go figure!

VIII.  It's not the ship.. It's YOU.  The ship is just a tool.  Some tools are better then others, but a tool that is not used is useless.    If your ship cannot do long range fire get closer.  If your ship moves slow, move sooner, and more directly to where you NEED to be to use your guns or torps or AA, or to take or assist an other in taking an objective, ie: capture point.   Have a plan and stick with it.   A poor plan followed through on beats a perfect plan after the match is over every single time.  The number one limiting factor on player performance is what the player perceives. And any stage magician will tell and provide handy proofs that human perception is flawed.. badly flawed. SO your always ALWAYS going to miss something.  The secret of winning a match is your team making less mistakes then the other team.   The single biggest most influential mistake I see match after match is not getting stuck in.  Of thinking "I'll just wait. Opportunity will present it's self."  Make opportunity.  It's rarely going to be presented to you on a platter.

IX.   Matches are 20 minutes long max and most matches are decided with in the first 5 to 10 minutes.   Pay attention to the positions of friendly ships and the known positions of enemy ships.. count the beans.  If you don't see them where are they?  If your team has an open flank and half the enemy ships are not accounted for.. They're where your team isn't every single time. 

X.    A good many wins are determined by the one to three ships that didn't join the lemming train and went and covered the open flank.  They "tackled" the opposing team and tied them up giving the lemming train time to do it's lemming thing, assuming the lemming train didn't stop moving but pushed on through.    These players are rarely appreciated for what they do.    So don't just follow the crowd, get out front and LEAD the crowd.  And if you cannot lead get behind the crowd and PUSH.   You win or lose as a team effort.  Anyone who tells you different is strait out lying to you.  They may even believe it.  And that is the real shame.   Don't depend on a unicum saving the match.. you need to save it yourself by the actions you take.

Good Luck, Good Hunting.

P.S. Like any good "dicta" the above is not fool proof.  Any fool can screw it up!   My intentions are pure and I positively HATE loosing and I suspect your not a fan of it either  ! So please learn from the condensed counter to my own mistakes above so you don't have to make as many of your own!  

There is a basic tenet in coaching that you cannot teach tactics without a strategy … 

You cannot teach strategy without a team … 

There is no team :)

Edited by Commander_367

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,677 battles

And your correct..  But if you do not try, you cannot succeed.  And the best way to teach is by example.  there for you must try.  

The one overriding reason why I try things like this is if it succeeds it bring up the level of competition.  If it bring up the level of competition it means I have to improve my game to keep my "position".  The game does not end until you quit.  Been here since launch.  Lotsa people better then me.. A far greater number way worse then me.    I want every fight to be a long drawn out battering fray.. I want ever victory to be worked for, and every loss to be not a clear cut thing.   

SO.. I don't know about you.. but to achieve those goasl...  I gotta make the effort.  I gotta teach.  Which I can do.  Coaching however....  UHG!  Coaching would drive me nuts in this game environment.   To many prima donna's who want to argue the point instead of listening and doing.

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,677 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Australian Rules football might have positions, but it is nothing like American football. American football is based more on what the British call Rugby.

Also, BASIC tactics:

10 Shoot stuff.

20 Don't die unnecessarily

30 GOTO 10

RUN

:Smile_teethhappy:

not talking Rugby.. Talking Ozzie Arena football... it's hurry up play the borrows heavily from rugby and is a rather brutal game!  I love watching it when it was the hot thing.. May have faded into obscurity by now but 20-30 years ago it was hot stuff to watch