Timo_Greenwold

Parking tickets, how much in your city

15 comments in this topic

Members
351 posts
12,123 battles

In Vancouver it is 120 dollars. It sucks, I had quick service call, no place to park, so I took a chance and I lost.

[WORX]
Members
12,051 posts
19,514 battles

That is it ???

Its $500 minimum AND points are your DL here...

In some areas, not only do you get a parking ticket... You also get your car towed. Then you have

• Ticket fee
  • Towing and storage fee AND
  • Points on you DL...

Only $150 bucks.. No internet and cable for the month... Oh well lol :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Navalpride33

[SALVO]
Members
25,872 posts
28,228 battles
1 hour ago, Timo_Greenwold said:

In Vancouver it is 120 dollars. It sucks, I had quick service call, no place to park, so I took a chance and I lost.

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.  There's a reason for parking fines.  Cities have limited parking, and parking regulations and fines are how cities try to prevent people from ignoring the rules and think that they can park in limited time parking all day.  And if the fines aren't high enough, some people will just see them as the cost of doing business, and ignore the parking regulations.

At least this is the theory.  This isn't to say that some cities aren't over zealous and turn parking fines into a source of revenue, and write up tickets willy nilly, assuming that a good portion of them won't be fought in court and the person will just pay the fine to make it go away.

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,180 posts
26,774 battles

I live near telluride colorado and a parking ticket also means you get towed, so anywhere from 300$ on up for everything.  And you dont ever want to get a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot, which people do stupidly.....that will be 1,000 dollars on up after towing.

Beta Testers
670 posts
4,003 battles

There’s nothing that ruins your day quicker than the sickening feeling you get finding that sinister yellow envelope tacked onto your windscreen, particularly when you feel you’ve done nothing wrong.

Statistics from the RAC Foundation claim that the number of parking tickets being issued in the UK is steadily on the rise, with a parking fine issued every seven seconds on average and it’s estimated to cost British motorists a total of £275 million per year.

But even though getting a ticket is something we’d all rather avoid, if you are on the receiving end at least you can find some solace in the fact that it could always be worse, as these examples attest.

Below, I have listed some of the heaviest parking fines ever issued in the UK and the reasons why they happened.

Edited by Admiral_Of_The_Fleet

Beta Testers
670 posts
4,003 battles

£18,500 for parking outside your own garage

Believe it or not, but back in 2015 Carly Mackie from Dundee was issued an astronomical fine of £18,500 for parking in front of her own garage. Although the garages had double yellow lines in front of them, Carly said she was parking on a cobbled area between the garage and the road with no lines.

As a result, she ignored the parking tickets and believed they were unenforceable until a court ruling forced her to pay up. Court costs included, the total amount she had to pay ended up at an eye-watering £24,500.

£14,000 for parking in disabled bays

We’re not the sort to wish misfortune on anyone, but in this case there’s probably an argument that the driver deserved it…

Mondeo owner David Lee racked up a total of £14,000 in parking fines after ignoring 140 separate tickets in a single year alone, which he’d racked up by wrongly leaving his car parked in disabled bays.

Along with the fines he also accumulated a fair number of nasty messages tacked onto his windscreen, but it didn’t seem to bother him until he realised the tickets were, in fact, enforceable.

£14,000 for abandoning a car

We’ve previously covered the mystery of abandoned cars, but the story of an unknown driver who abandoned their black Mercedes-Benz S-Class in a car park in Birmingham really takes the biscuit.

The Merc sat in the car park for an astounding three years, being charged a £13 fine each day until it accumulated a total of more than £14,000 in outstanding parking fines.

Whether or not it’s still there is unclear, but for the sake of the owner’s bank account let’s hope it’s not!

£70 for stopping to check a signpost

Again, while this isn’t the biggest fine ever issued, it’s still a staggering amount considering that David Osborne’s only offence was to pull over on a Bristol street just to check the sign that listed parking restrictions.

Despite the fact that he was parked up for no longer than 90 seconds, in a bitter twist of irony he was slapped with a fine to the tune of £70. All’s well that ends well though, as the council later reconsidered

Edited by Admiral_Of_The_Fleet

Members
351 posts
12,123 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.  There's a reason for parking fines.  Cities have limited parking, and parking regulations and fines are how cities try to prevent people from ignoring the rules and think that they can park in limited time parking all day.  And if the fines aren't high enough, some people will just see them as the cost of doing business, and ignore the parking regulations.

At least this is the theory.  This isn't to say that some cities aren't over zealous and turn parking fines into a source of revenue, and write up tickets willy nilly, assuming that a good portion of them won't be fought in court and the person will just pay the fine to make it go away.

I did say , I had to make a service call, that means I drive a service van, cannot always park blocks away from the building, I need to go to.

Members
351 posts
12,123 battles
17 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

That is it ???

Its $500 minimum AND points are your DL here...

In some areas, not only do you get a parking ticket... You also get your car towed. Then you have

• Ticket fee
  • Towing and storage fee AND
  • Points on you DL...

Only $150 bucks.. No internet and cable for the month... Oh well lol :Smile_veryhappy:

Wow, that is alot.  It used to be 40 dollars a few years ago. In B.C. you only get points to your DL for driving tickets.

3 hours ago, Admiral_Of_The_Fleet said:

£18,500 for parking outside your own garage

Believe it or not, but back in 2015 Carly Mackie from Dundee was issued an astronomical fine of £18,500 for parking in front of her own garage. Although the garages had double yellow lines in front of them, Carly said she was parking on a cobbled area between the garage and the road with no lines.

As a result, she ignored the parking tickets and believed they were unenforceable until a court ruling forced her to pay up. Court costs included, the total amount she had to pay ended up at an eye-watering £24,500.

£14,000 for parking in disabled bays

We’re not the sort to wish misfortune on anyone, but in this case there’s probably an argument that the driver deserved it…

Mondeo owner David Lee racked up a total of £14,000 in parking fines after ignoring 140 separate tickets in a single year alone, which he’d racked up by wrongly leaving his car parked in disabled bays.

Along with the fines he also accumulated a fair number of nasty messages tacked onto his windscreen, but it didn’t seem to bother him until he realised the tickets were, in fact, enforceable.

£14,000 for abandoning a car

We’ve previously covered the mystery of abandoned cars, but the story of an unknown driver who abandoned their black Mercedes-Benz S-Class in a car park in Birmingham really takes the biscuit.

The Merc sat in the car park for an astounding three years, being charged a £13 fine each day until it accumulated a total of more than £14,000 in outstanding parking fines.

Whether or not it’s still there is unclear, but for the sake of the owner’s bank account let’s hope it’s not!

£70 for stopping to check a signpost

Again, while this isn’t the biggest fine ever issued, it’s still a staggering amount considering that David Osborne’s only offence was to pull over on a Bristol street just to check the sign that listed parking restrictions.

Despite the fact that he was parked up for no longer than 90 seconds, in a bitter twist of irony he was slapped with a fine to the tune of £70. All’s well that ends well though, as the council later reconsidered

interesting stories

[SALVO]
Members
25,872 posts
28,228 battles
35 minutes ago, Timo_Greenwold said:

I did say , I had to make a service call, that means I drive a service van, cannot always park blocks away from the building, I need to go to.

Yes, I noticed.  But just because you drive a commercial vehicle doesn't give you a free pass to ignore parking regulations.  

[SALVO]
Members
25,872 posts
28,228 battles
15 hours ago, BaronVonTom said:

I live near telluride colorado and a parking ticket also means you get towed, so anywhere from 300$ on up for everything.  And you dont ever want to get a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot, which people do stupidly.....that will be 1,000 dollars on up after towing.

Last I heard, it was nearly $1,000 to get a simple parking ticket for parking in a handicapped spot without a proper handicapped placard.  But on top of that, it was another nearly $1,000 to park in a handicapped spot fraudulently using another person's placard. 

To be honest, while those fines are pretty steep, I don't feel much of any pity for people who wrongly park in handicapped spots.

Also, one thing that I've learned about handicapped parking tickets is that enforcing parking regulations is a very low priority thing for most police departments.  It seems to only be in larger cities that have separate parking enforcement divisions that you see stronger enforcement of parking regs, particularly those relating to handicapped parking.

Members
351 posts
12,123 battles
11 hours ago, Crucis said:

Yes, I noticed.  But just because you drive a commercial vehicle doesn't give you a free pass to ignore parking regulations.  

Where did i wrote, that I wanted a free pass for parking.

[SALVO]
Members
25,872 posts
28,228 battles
12 hours ago, Timo_Greenwold said:

Where did i wrote, that I wanted a free pass for parking.

I didn't say that you wanted a free parking "pass".  I said that you sound like you want a "free pass" to ignore parking regulations.  Not the same thing.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,730 posts
On 2/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, Timo_Greenwold said:

I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten a parking ticket here. Common courtesy, not law, dictates that you don't block someone in or create an obstacle for anyone but if you want to park the "wrong" way nobody cares. That's one advantage of living in a small town with no police force. The deputies come by once in a while but they have better things to do than to issue local traffic tickets. Mostly they help fight fires and work as EMTs.

Members
351 posts
12,123 battles

you must live in a very small town, if there is no police about. In most cities, it is not the police that write parking tickets, they use bylaw Officers. With the wages paid to the police, the city wants them to do other things.