You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN

Grinding Russian Cruisers (help)

14 comments in this topic

Members
132 posts
5,993 battles

I'm trying to grind Moskva before the new Russian cruisers arrive.

How long do I have to grind them?

I'm also stock piling some free xp to skip I hope the Donskoi. However I don't know that I'll have enough free xp to skip her by the time I get to the point that I would need to purchase her. 

I'm currently at T6 and have about 70k free xp, with only about 20 Papa papa left.

Should I skip a different ship? If so which one? Which one is the worst one?

I don't really want to spend coal on flags because I'm also grinding Georgia.

Or should I screw Georgia and buy flags to skip Donskoi?

Thanks!

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,123 posts
16,060 battles

Good luck with the grind. 

You have a bit more time - still another update at least, so some 6 weeks or so. 

I wouldn’t use Free XP to skip ships yet - only if the deadline is looming and you can make it. Also, the Donskoi isn’t bad - you just need to hang a little further back than normal and HE spam battleships, only try to radar DDs etc in the mid to late game where you can close in a bit more safely.

Dont waste coal on flags. 

You still have some time. Focus, and you’ll be fine. 

Good luck!

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,130 battles

Provided you use flags and manage to have decent games you have more than enough time to get the Moskva. Get ready to be bored though. Playing those ships is like watching paint dry. 

[DD214]
Members
803 posts
36,160 battles

Push and use any flags and special camo on the Don to speed things up. Also run the scenarios when the ship tier matches (like it does right now) Its a good place to practice the ship and pays well. Use the FXP when possible to upgrade the hull and guns. GLHF

[CO-OP]
Members
2,365 posts
26,916 battles

@Kizarvexis put this timeline together.  Since 9.1 just dropped you're probably looking at about 11 weeks:

As a side note, you should consider replaying Shchors, and Dm. Donskoi even after you get the Moskva.  You can use the XP from Shchors to get the Tallin when the split happens, and the Donskoi XP to get the Petropalovsk, which replaces the Moskva in the tech tree.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,158 battles

Well they going release the pan-europe dds in next 2 patches, so you have at least 6 weeks for that.

[PVE]
Members
20,123 posts
13,007 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

I'm also stock piling some free xp to skip I hope the Donskoi. However I don't know that I'll have enough free xp to skip her by the time I get to the point that I would need to purchase her. 

I'm currently at T6 and have about 70k free xp, with only about 20 Papa papa left.

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

@Kizarvexis put this timeline together.  Since 9.1 just dropped you're probably looking at about 11 weeks:

As a side note, you should consider replaying Shchors, and Dm. Donskoi even after you get the Moskva.  You can use the XP from Shchors to get the Tallin when the split happens, and the Donskoi XP to get the Petropalovsk, which replaces the Moskva in the tech tree.

This^^^

Might as well copy it over here too. 

Posted Mon, Feb 10th, 2020

So, today in the Dev blog, the Pan-EU DDs are slated for early access on Wed, Mar 11th with 9.2. So the full line should drop on 9.3 which would likely be Wed, Apr 8th. So figure the RU CA split will likely be in 9.4 on likely Wed, May 6th.

9.1 scheduled for Wed, Feb 12th UK CA line drops and you can no longer get UU missions. But existing UU missions last until Thu, Dec 31st, likely at 2am PST, so you will want to be done by EOD Wed, Dec 30th.

9.2 scheduled for Wed, Mar 11th UUs move to the RB. T10s without UUs are supposed to get them and the CV UUs are supposed to be reworked. Dev blog just came out with 9.2 as early access for Pan-EU DDs.

9.3 likely scheduled for Wed, Apr 8th Pan-EU DDs are likely to drop here as they are early access in 9.2.

9.4 likely scheduled for Wed, May 6th earliest that RU CA split could be early access, but since it is only T8, T9, & T10, I don't think it will be early access. So likely the earliest we could expect the RU CA split and looking to be it.

9.5 likely scheduled for Wed, Jun 3rd RU CA split could be here, IF there is early access, but I doubt there will be RU CA early access. Otherwise, who knows what is coming here.

9.6 likely scheduled for Wed, Jul 1st and WG knows, but we don't

9.7 likely scheduled for Wed, Jul 29th and UK Cmdr Andrew Cunningham is scheduled to hit the Armory for coal for those that missed him in patch 9.1 in Feb. No idea on the coal price at this time, but likely to be similar to Gunther Lutjens 175k coal.

Figure you will need around 115k XP on the Shchors to get the Tallin.

When Moskva is removed to be a premium, the perma-camo if you bought it, will almost certainly be transferred to the replacement T10. Moskva will then likely get the normal T10 perma-camo or some event perma-camo with normal T10 bonuses.

When Kirov and Moskva are removed you should get the replacement ship in that tier. You may have to have the ship in game to get the replacement in game. The research will stay the same if you researched the T5 and/or T10 already, just the name of the ship at that tier that you researched will change. 

[CO-OP]
Members
2,365 posts
26,916 battles
17 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

When Kirov and Moskva are removed you should get the replacement ship in that tier. You may have to have the ship in game to get the replacement in game. The research will stay the same if you researched the T5 and/or T10 already, just the name of the ship at that tier that you researched will change. 

I remember reading about the replacement for the Kirov was going to be free, but wasn't sure if the Moskva replacement, Alexander Nevsky.  Can you confirm, or is this reasonable speculation based on past splits?

[PVE]
Members
20,123 posts
13,007 battles
4 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

I remember reading about the replacement for the Kirov was going to be free, but wasn't sure if the Moskva replacement, Alexander Nevsky.  Can you confirm, or is this reasonable speculation based on past splits?

Based on past events yes, but those were ships that moved elsewhere in the tech tree. These are becoming premium ships, so this could be ripe for an exception.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,365 posts
26,916 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Based on past events yes, but those were ships that moved elsewhere in the tech tree. These are becoming premium ships, so this could be ripe for an exception.

Since this still seems to be a grey-area, I'll continue "grinding" the Donskoi should this be that exception. 

Thanks.  You are the WoWS equivalent to the Shell Answer-man (for those of us who remember a time when gas had lead in it.):cap_like:

Members
711 posts
72 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

Thanks!

Id say grind that baby. Seems like the new T10 Alexander Nevksy will be the new "Super Smolensk" with 19 km range base and 12 km stealthradar. better range and speed then Des Moines and with torps as well. It will be a glourious Russian ship comrad. I always thought Smolensk was a bit underpowered......

[-AGW-]
Members
1,006 posts
15,369 battles

I found Shchors the most challenging of the bunch because of the poor rudder shift. Moves like a truck, but the guns are a joy.

Chapayev was pretty effective even uptired, but again you have to watch not to get too far out front and kite mostly.

Donskoi I even prefer over Moskva. Best fire-starter at range before Smolensk showed up.

Whatever gets you there.

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
3 hours ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

Thanks!

The tier VI Budyonny is easily played through in one night with Scenarios. If you want to hop on to the Hoperations Discord server and do it with us, let me know. 

• Cool 1