Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Malamute_Kid

Des Moines vs Moskva?

18 comments in this topic

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

So I'm at a point of having to decide which T 10 ship I want to pick up.  I have both the Moskva and the Des Moines researched but only enough silver to buy one.  I've played both of them a fair amount on PTS and like both.  I like the way the Des Moines plays a little better than the Moskva but not by a wide margin.  My dilemma is this: I'm a pretty casual player.  Grinding out the 20 mil or so credits takes me awhile to do and I might not be able complete before the RU cruiser line split.  I might if I can find the time, but it's by no means certain.  So with the Moskva eventually going to become a resource ship, should I go ahead and get it now and wait until I can grind out the Des Moines?  I'm thinking get the Moskva now because grinding resources takes even longer than grinding silver.  Any thoughts?

[CVA16]
Members
5,864 posts
18,016 battles

Stat wise Moskva is the better ship. Plus it may end up being a 2-fer. Seems like a no-brainer. Go Moskva for now, pick up DM later if you still want to.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles
13 minutes ago, Malamute_Kid said:

My dilemma is this: I'm a pretty casual player.

Because of this^^^ I am confused as to the purpose of your venture... Therefor I can't give you any advise that is useful...

So what is your purpose of your venture if its only for casual play ???

(If its mostly casual play... That I am leaning towered the De Moines.)

[POP]
Members
4,746 posts
12,813 battles

If you don’t think you’ll be able to get the credits within the next few months for both, definitely Moskva. Even if you don’t get the replacement tech tree ship, you’re getting a free t10 coal ship that will probably cost 240k+. Both are good and you should definitely get both but the upcoming split makes Moskva a much better choice in the short term.

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will take the Moskva.  I was leaning that way already but the Des Moines is a such a fun ship to play.  Yep, Moskva is the way to go.  Thanks again.

Members
1,625 posts

OP: it totally depends of your gameplay. If you like a fast RoF CA with good agility, and able to use terrain well, go with DM. If you like a more tanky CA, with less agility and RoF but higher caliber shells, and like operating on open waters, go with Moskwa. I believe that the Moskwa is more difficult to play well that the DM. How to better have fun is the question...

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,570 posts
4,223 battles

If you want to get both eventually and like them almost equally, on top possibly not getting the silver for the second before the split, then Moskva for sure. Probably getting two for one there.

I have both. Very different ships. DM is high ROF and not tanky but with slow shells. So islands are your friend, ambush, radar, AP, etc. Moskva has railguns, relatively tanky, so is a long range sniper. While she is tanky, that's relative. Nothing last long in front of concentrated T10 firepower, and show any bit of side and you will get citadeled (I've learned that the hard way, I thought I was angled well and BBs just punched right through). So you can bow on some things, and run away from anything else. Both HE and AP are excellent, HE is fires for days, AP really chunks broadside ships. Bonus: The AP is small enough to reliably citadel Smolensk, and Radar makes it even easier:cap_rambo:Fight Bias with Bias I guess (kidding, Moskva isn't OP, just a lot of fun).

[WAMMY]
Members
2,510 posts
13,947 battles

Hey

For me take Des Moines.  Moskva sucks for me; it either over pens or ricochets at everything that isn't completely broadside; the armor is decent when bow on but it burns like nobodies business.  It's HE was lousy at starting fires and I did recently add DE which helped it some.  AP is great on a broadside ship, even on BB's at closer ranges.  But it's boring; it's a lousy kiting boat because of it's huge sides and armor that gets punished; and when played bow in, it's a HE absorbing pain in the but and lets be honest, bow in, your only pumping out 6 shells every 9.1 seconds with MBM3.  I don't find the guns to be amazingly accurate and the HE doesn't set fires all that well, and if your using AP, well expect a lot of overpens or ricochet's.  The absolute best things is it's 12km radar, very useful at times.  Overall, I'm just not a fan of Moskva and would much rather have the Des Moines (I run the Salem and enjoy it).  I have a 19pt Captain and about 450K ship XP on her.

Pete

[1984]
Members
4,452 posts
21,484 battles
On 2/14/2020 at 11:08 PM, Malamute_Kid said:

So I'm at a point of having to decide which T 10 ship I want to pick up.  I have both the Moskva and the Des Moines researched but only enough silver to buy one.  I've played both of them a fair amount on PTS and like both.  I like the way the Des Moines plays a little better than the Moskva but not by a wide margin.  My dilemma is this: I'm a pretty casual player.  Grinding out the 20 mil or so credits takes me awhile to do and I might not be able complete before the RU cruiser line split.  I might if I can find the time, but it's by no means certain.  So with the Moskva eventually going to become a resource ship, should I go ahead and get it now and wait until I can grind out the Des Moines?  I'm thinking get the Moskva now because grinding resources takes even longer than grinding silver.  Any thoughts?

Since moskva will become a free (semi)premium  for anyone who has her in port, this is a nobrainer.

Members
127 posts
8,847 battles

For me, in one on one battles the DM will likely lose to the Moskva. That said, the DM is more of a multi-purpose ship and guns down DD's like nobody's business. 

[WAMMY]
Members
2,510 posts
13,947 battles
19 hours ago, Kreigspelar said:

For me, in one on one battles the DM will likely lose to the Moskva. That said, the DM is more of a multi-purpose ship and guns down DD's like nobody's business. 

Hey

I have to disagree to a point.  If Moskva and DM are bow on to each other in a gun duel, the DM will burn the Moskva down.  Moskva doesn't start fires all that great, she is much larger and it's my experience the AP are only really good on broadside ships, any angling and they will ricochet to high heaven, or they over pen for days and it doesn't matter what she is shooting at.  She is large so if she gets caught out of play, I think is more fragile than DM.  If a DD pops up; I would much rather be in the DM than Moskva.  Moskva is a frustrating ship to get consistent damage and her only ACE is her ridiculous Russian Bias 12km radar.  Just IMHO.

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,722 posts
24,990 battles
On 2/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Stat wise Moskva is the better ship. Plus it may end up being a 2-fer. Seems like a no-brainer. Go Moskva for now, pick up DM later if you still want to.

I have a much stronger personal preference with DM because that's what I cut my teeth with for Tier X Cruisers.  That said, what you posted is on the money.

Members
127 posts
8,847 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I have to disagree to a point.  If Moskva and DM are bow on to each other in a gun duel, the DM will burn the Moskva down.  Moskva doesn't start fires all that great, she is much larger and it's my experience the AP are only really good on broadside ships, any angling and they will ricochet to high heaven, or they over pen for days and it doesn't matter what she is shooting at.  She is large so if she gets caught out of play, I think is more fragile than DM.  If a DD pops up; I would much rather be in the DM than Moskva.  Moskva is a frustrating ship to get consistent damage and her only ACE is her ridiculous Russian Bias 12km radar.  Just IMHO.

Pete

Pete, I have gone bow to bow with a few Moskva's in my DM and lost 3 out of 4. Any hits by the Moskva's AP drills the DM bow armor. Yes you can start fires with the DM HE but no pens on the nose. So I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,510 posts
13,947 battles
11 hours ago, Kreigspelar said:

Pete, I have gone bow to bow with a few Moskva's in my DM and lost 3 out of 4. Any hits by the Moskva's AP drills the DM bow armor. Yes you can start fires with the DM HE but no pens on the nose. So I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

Hey

Seems like every time I'm using AP if its a bow situation, it ricochets everything, if you aim higher then it over pens.  doesn't matter what your shooting at.  If you use HE, then your lucky to start maybe 2-3 fires a game at most even with good hits, guess that's the way it is with T10 these days.  With AP; I'm seeing consistently 2-3 over pen/ricochets to each full pen, and that's not counting broken shells.  Going from my CB experience with Moskva which is almost 500K ship experience now.

P.S.  Like they say everyone's mileage may vary.  LOL

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,722 posts
24,990 battles
On 2/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, Kreigspelar said:

220mm AP can't Overmatch DM's 27mm bow.

Sign in to follow this