stargazer2020

Commander skills for Thunderer

15 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
[TORCH]
Members
10 posts
6,767 battles

I have had the Thunderer now for a few days and I am trying to figure out the best build for commander points. I have gone to wiki and ask others but no one agrees on anything so I figured I would put it to the community. I have a 16 point commander. Wiki says to spend points where I don't think it would best for my play style. I pretty much only use this ship in clan battles and would like the optimal build from more experienced players. Thanks to the community for your help.

Members
3,469 posts
8,653 battles

A standard survival build is the default build for any battleship with only a few exceptions (namely the Germans and Mass/Georgia):

PT, EM, AR, SI, CE, FP for the first 16 points, then either BoS (recommended), or HA or JoaT and PM

Modules would also be pretty standard - Main armaments, damacon 1 aiming or turret traverse (although aiming would be the better choice since it further increases one of Thunderer’s already strong traits), damacon 2, concealment, reload

I've never played Thunderer in any competitive mode, but I have played other battleships and unless you’re in a secondary focused ship I’d always run a survival build. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles

I prefer survivability builds.  They work best for most of my BBs.  

PM
EM
Superintendent
AR
BOS
Fire Prevention 
CE

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

Like others have said, you want the survival skills. PT, EM, AR, SI, FP, CE. Save the last 3 points for BoS.

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
2 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Like others have said, you want the survival skills. PT, EM, AR, SI, FP, CE. Save the last 3 points for BoS.

PT is not very useful with tier 10 BBs. PT is recommended to keep your main guns from being knocked out easily. 

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles
4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

PT is not very useful with tier 10 BBs. PT is recommended to keep your main guns from being knocked out easily. 

Ehh it is a personal call. I've always gone PT, but have been trying to pull away from it. 

But OP said he plays Thunderer for CBs, which I will argue PT is a better pick any day than PM

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,348 posts
18,145 battles

You really might want to consider EL as Thunderer AP on broadsides is brutal. 

Members
2,421 posts
4,126 battles
15 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

A standard survival build is the default build for any battleship with only a few exceptions (namely the Germans and Mass/Georgia):

PT, EM, AR, SI, CE, FP for the first 16 points, then either BoS (recommended), or HA or JoaT and PM

Modules would also be pretty standard - Main armaments, damacon 1 aiming or turret traverse (although aiming would be the better choice since it further increases one of Thunderer’s already strong traits), damacon 2, concealment, reload

I've never played Thunderer in any competitive mode, but I have played other battleships and unless you’re in a secondary focused ship I’d always run a survival build. 

I ranked out in Thunderer on the PTS ranked 15 test. Survival build was the way to go. MBM3 is killer already, but tack on the fire rate buffs from Arms Race, and you're down into heavy cruiser fire rate territory. With 18" rifles.

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
16 hours ago, _BBaby said:

Ehh it is a personal call. I've always gone PT, but have been trying to pull away from it. 

But OP said he plays Thunderer for CBs, which I will argue PT is a better pick any day than PM

In my opinion, as a BB main who owns every T10 BB  (except Bourgogne) I don't see how PT is effective in any battle mode. BBs don't have the speed are maneuverability to turn quickly and avoid enemy ships already targeting it. On the other hand, losing your main guns during a CB is very problematic.   

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

In my opinion, as a BB main who owns every T10 BB  (except Bourgogne) I don't see how PT is effective in any battle mode. BBs don't have the speed are maneuverability to turn quickly and avoid enemy ships already targeting it. On the other hand, losing your main guns during a CB is very problematic.   

In my opinion, with all the BBs, in CBs it's nice to know how many target you sometimes. May give info about how many people are on a flank, or let you know about potential DD threats. There also is less BBs that are going to do the major part of the knocking out of your guns.

Still, all a personal flavor... just like EL on applicable ships

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
4 hours ago, _BBaby said:

In my opinion, with all the BBs, in CBs it's nice to know how many target you sometimes. May give info about how many people are on a flank, or let you know about potential DD threats. There also is less BBs that are going to do the major part of the knocking out of your guns.

Still, all a personal flavor... just like EL on applicable ships

Knowing a DD is threatening you isn't what PT was designed for. Good BB players know to expect and assume there's DDs nearby and not to sit in any one place too long or move in a straight line. Knowing how many ships are targeting me makes no difference at all because I can see the shells being fired at my direction before there's anything I can do about it. I'll have to respond regardless of the alert and YES I've had my guns knocked out at really bad times during a battle. Losing half of your forward guns when your HP is low is a bigger problem. Anyhow, I have 13,500 battles so what do I know.  

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,323 posts
10,186 battles
On 2/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, STINKWEED_ said:

Knowing a DD is threatening you isn't what PT was designed for. Good BB players know to expect and assume there's DDs nearby and not to sit in any one place too long or move in a straight line. Knowing how many ships are targeting me makes no difference at all because I can see the shells being fired at my direction before there's anything I can do about it. I'll have to respond regardless of the alert and YES I've had my guns knocked out at really bad times during a battle. Losing half of your forward guns when your HP is low is a bigger problem. Anyhow, I have 13,500 battles so what do I know.  

Knowing how many ships are looking at you before they shoot at you gives you options unless you don't react at all. There are a lot of ships that have far better detection than a BB. It gives you more information that you can use with your mini map to deduce where you can go and how much risk is involved based on the state of the match and what your mini map says. Knowing of a potential DD threat is only a tiny part of it.

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
11 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

Knowing how many ships are looking at you before they shoot at you gives you options unless you don't react at all. There are a lot of ships that have far better detection than a BB. It gives you more information that you can use with your mini map to deduce where you can go and how much risk is involved based on the state of the match and what your mini map says. Knowing of a potential DD threat is only a tiny part of it.

Yes, but in a DD and cruiser you can react. There's very little you can do in most BBs. They don't have the speed nor the steering. Either way you are going to be rained on by HE spam whether you know in advance or not.  It's a waste of skill. Better to make sure your main guns don't get knocked out

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,323 posts
10,186 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Yes, but in a DD and cruiser you can react. There's very little you can do in most BBs. They don't have the speed nor the steering. Either way you are going to be rained on by HE spam whether you know in advance or not.  It's a waste of skill. Better to make sure your main guns don't get knocked out

What BB are we talking about? If a Soyuz can maneuver and position itself to react and steer I don't see how other boats of the same class that have less than a 950 meter turning circle and 16 second rudder shift can't manage it just as well or better. That just doesn't make any sense. How much advanced warning do you need? 5 minutes?

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
1 hour ago, Vekta408 said:

What BB are we talking about? If a Soyuz can maneuver and position itself to react and steer I don't see how other boats of the same class that have less than a 950 meter turning circle and 16 second rudder shift can't manage it just as well or better. That just doesn't make any sense. How much advanced warning do you need? 5 minutes?

In case you haven't noticed, WOWS is full tilt HE Spam meta. There's no BB's that can out maneuver a bunch of spam cruisers targeting you. I'm a BB main and I have practically every T10 BB.
This is just fact. If you want to waste your skill on PT go ahead. I'd rather guarantee my main guns aren't taken out when I most need them.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.