You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jetsetsam

How to Deal with the Smolensk

13 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
7,400 battles

Very simple:

Don't play Tier 8, 9 or 10 ships (except maybe cv's which can target the Smolensks)

Don't buy or tier up to any tier 8, 9 or 10 ships.

Maybe then the game developers will get the idea.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,843 posts
10,152 battles

It's 2020 Smolensk a non issue now it's the UU that nobody wanted until they changed the way to get them that's the hot item to rage on .

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,706 posts
22,531 battles
Just now, clammboy said:

It's 2020 Smolensk a non issue now it's the UU that nobody wanted until they changed the way to get them that's the hot item to rage on .

Very true.

Just now, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

My smolensk does not fear the CV either.

Not sure if you should fear a FdG either; had a Smelly go bow inning me, and AP or HE; nothing did any real damage. Shells sailed off to Never-Never Land, or just bounced off; think my secondaries did more damage before it torped me to death.

[AXANR]
Members
3,520 posts
20,397 battles

Imagine thinking this a fresh opinion worth posting about in February 2020. 

Members
3,474 posts
8,653 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure if you should fear a FdG either; had a Smelly go bow inning me, and AP or HE; nothing did any real damage. Shells sailed off to Never-Never Land, or just bounced off; think my secondaries did more damage before it torped me to death.

Well, your first mistake was playing FdG and expecting your main guns to reliably hit anything...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,351 posts
18,160 battles
1 hour ago, jetsetsam said:

Very simple:

Don't play Tier 8, 9 or 10 ships (except maybe cv's which can target the Smolensks)

Don't buy or tier up to any tier 8, 9 or 10 ships.

Maybe then the game developers will get the idea.

Learn to shoot.

I die in my Smolensk by players who know how to shoot.

Remember that the smoke isn't infinite....

There are 6 ships everyone should shoot ASAP.

1- spotted destroyer. 

2- spotted Smolensk. 

3- spotted colbert.

4- spotted minataur. 

5- spotted Wooster.

6- spotted carrier.

In that order of priority. 

[RLGN]
Members
12,706 posts
22,531 battles
27 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Well, your first mistake was playing FdG and expecting your main guns to reliably hit anything...

More losing track of the fool thing; (thought it had already been killed,) it unexpectedly came out from behind an island at less than 5k after I’d just fired at something else, so I had to run. Was surprised the other two Red BBs didn’t shell me to death first, actually.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,179 posts
13,358 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Very true.

That sounds like bad luck with the HE which should tear up a Smol in short order. Now BB class AP is flaky at best but cruiser class and DD AP will citadel it like crazy.

Members
6 posts
7,400 battles

what's a uu?

Underground Utility? doesn't scare me.

You, You, Beast! OK, maybe a bit scared.

Are you speaking in tongues? Pirate code? Sailor salty code?

[WORX]
Members
8,101 posts
16,743 battles

Just shoot at it...

The Smolensk is probably the worst ship even in Co-op (that is a first I admit to say a ship is bad for Co-op)... HOWEVER, if you the player can make it work... Then hats off to you..

Every ship class caliber guns with AP can citadel it... Even DDs.

So there is no excuse to just shoot at it to sink it.

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
183 posts
5,393 battles

The real hairy part is when you get divisions of Smols.   Ran into one in a battle today and they did a good job punishing my team.  It's all good saying "shoot at it" if it can be spotted.  Any radar that pushed got focused down in short order... DD's didn't want to push them (only 2 DD's on each side).  BB's did shoot at them with OP's all the time due to having AP loaded for other targets.  My division was 2 BB's and a CA and we got tired of it and pushed them as a group... they just stopped shooting and relocated and started share-smoking again... and we determined we couldn't spend our match chasing them... plus it exposed us to the rest of their team.  

And to be fair- it wasn't "game breaking"... we almost won that game... but those Smols sure did make it difficult to pull out a near-win in the end as most of our remaining ships were so low HP that they got mopped up in the end-game minutes.

One thing that I think would help is increasing their bloom from smoke.   With the range mods they put on them, they should still be able to smoke-fire but it would have to be at longer ranges which would make it a little more difficult to hit opposing ships.  It's just an idea... OR make their smoke consumable a much shorter duration so divisions would have longer cool-down times and couldn't alternate smoke... although it wouldn't be fair to punish those running it outside divisions...  and we've been seeing smoke-sharing divs forever (Flints/Atlantas/Belfasts or DD divs of long smoke Americans partnered with Klebers etc.)

Many people have posted that this isn't a discussion for Feb. 2020 as the Smol's be around... now it's time to counter it... but I do think there is still some balancing that could be done.  Just like CV's, they aren't going away (Kitakami I'm looking at you) but it doesn't mean some balancing couldn't happen.   I just don't want WG to nerf bat it too hard and play the back and forth balancing game.... I don't have it, but I don't want to see those who put the effort into getting one have to put it on the shelf due to hard nerfs.   
Sounds like IFHE changes may help balance it a bunch though.... however I will wait to see what those changes will actually do in-game rather than just "on paper"