You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST, matchmaker changes.

32 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,323 posts
14,735 battles

Earlier, we announced some upcoming changes to the matchmaker which are designed to reduce the number of aircraft carriers in Tier IV-V battles. Today, we are ready to share the details of the updated matchmaker system, which is currently in testing.

With the matchmaker update, special settings will be applied for all battles of all tiers, which will limit the maximum number of ships of a certain level and class:

• A fixed limit is set on the number of ships of a certain class:

• With the change, the presence of aircraft carriers in battles will become more stable, but the number of battles with two aircraft carriers per team will be significantly reduced. We also plan to completely eliminate battles with three aircraft carriers, but this change requires additional testing and we will report on its results at a later date.

• The number of destroyers in a battle will not exceed 4 - 6 for tier V-X battles. For tier X battles, the maximum number of destroyers will be four, under normal circumstances of saturation of the matchmaker queue.

• The number of battleships in a battle will not exceed 5 - 6 for tier V-X battles. For tier X battles, the maximum number of battleships will be five, under normal circumstances of saturation of the matchmaker queue.
    • The number of cruisers in a battle is not limited.
  • A limit is set on the number of ships 2 tiers lower than the tier of battle. This will avoid cases when the player, for example, is the only tier V in a battle dominated by tier VII ships.

Each tier of battle will have specific limits to class and tier which will change depending on the waiting time in the queue: the longer the waiting time, the softer the limitations become. This is done so that the first players in the matchmaking queue don't have to wait long periods of time for the limits to be met; while at the same time maintaining the maximum level of comfort of team compositions.

As an example, see the settings below for tier V battles (battles involving tier IV-V ships) and tier X battles (battles involving tier VIII-X ships):

WG_SPB_WoWs_Infographic_Matchmaker_Supertest_092_1920x1080_EN.thumb.jpg.1637d2ceedd79ea2bf82cd439452a5bd.jpg

The detailed settings of the matchmaker for each tier of battles will be announced later and may change during testing.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary and subject to change.

• Cool 10

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,711 posts
36,308 battles
18 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:
    • The number of battleships in a battle will not exceed 5 - 6 for tier V-X battles. For tier X battles, the maximum number of battleships will be five, under normal circumstances of saturation of the matchmaker queue.

Are you talking of odd numbers? (e.g. 2 BBs in one side and 3 in the other)

• Confused 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,455 posts

Any plans to limit DDs in COOP?  Any more than 2 half-way decent DDs and BBs don't stand nary a chance of getting any real damage in as most DDs can get 1 alpha torpedo strikes to roughly every 3 BB salvos.  Unless AI is adjusted to not lemming train as much - which would afford BBs more time to land some hits - COOP needs a hard limit of 3, and a soft limit of 2 DDs.

• Cool 4

[WG]
4,323 posts
14,735 battles
6 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Are you talking of odd numbers? (e.g. 2 BBs in one side and 3 in the other)

Aloha,

This is talking about max number of ships. So at tiers V-X the max number of BB's on a team will not exceed 6 in a battle where the ships are tier VIII-X. In a purely tier X battle they will not exceed 5. Both of these numbers can be increased if MM goes beyond the before mentioned timeframes in que.

-Hapa

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,175 posts
22,715 battles

I guess this is good news. Matchmaking has always delivered. Some deliveries have been challenging and that is perfectly okay. Everyone could do with a good challenge - frequently even.

[SALVO]
Members
4,542 posts
20,872 battles

Well I guess this will only work if you can entice enough players to come back to fill the monitor at lowered teirs 

Otherwise you're still gonna have way too many Q drops

Only take the time limit all the CVs in Queue 

Members
1,625 posts
17 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

This is talking about max number of ships.

good, what about aver number of each type assuming plenty of ships of each type on queue. Are we going to continue to get 5BB/team, or not?

[WG]
4,323 posts
14,735 battles
4 minutes ago, loco_max said:

good, what about aver number of each type assuming plenty of ships of each type on queue. Are we going to continue to get 5BB/team, or not?

I mean that would all vary depending on how many ships are in que...

-Hapa

Members
1,625 posts
5 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I mean that would all vary depending on how many ships are in que...

-Hapa

right Hapa, but I guess that what we would like to know is the ratios between types of ships, if any assuming that the types of ships available is not limiting (pic hour, plenty of  type of ships, etc...).

[WOLFG]
Members
11,207 posts
10,466 battles

@Hapa_Fodder

That is for a Random battle.

Are there shorter time breaks for coop, or does it just wait till 30 and then fill in with green bots like it does now?

• Boring 1

Members
596 posts
10,957 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

The number of battleships in a battle will not exceed 5 - 6 for tier V-X battles.

I get that you don't want extreme torpedo soups at high tiers but why are you reducing the amount of damage you can get on ships that prey on BBs like Asashio? It's already painful when you get a game with 2 BBs and they go to the other side of the map so basically with DDs and BBs having a hard cap while cruisers don't... This is a idirect nerf to ships that attack primary BBs like Asashio or Azuma... Why...?

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
11 posts
2,431 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

• A limit is set on the number of ships 2 tiers lower than the tier of battle. This will avoid cases when the player, for example, is the only tier V in a battle dominated by tier VII ships.

This pleases me. It can be awfully lonely as the sole sad little low tier. Especially given the size of the engagement areas, you very frequently never see anyone of your tier in range. 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We also plan to completely eliminate battles with three aircraft carriers, but this change requires additional testing and we will report on its results at a later date.

Does this really require further testing to realize it's a problem? :Smile_amazed:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Earlier, we announced some upcoming changes to the matchmaker which are designed to reduce the number of aircraft carriers in Tier IV-V battles. Today, we are ready to share the details of the updated matchmaker system, which is currently in testing.

With the matchmaker update, special settings will be applied for all battles of all tiers, which will limit the maximum number of ships of a certain level and class

It's good to see WG trying to address some of these issues. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,825 posts
15,425 battles

Ah for those heady days when the CV rework was going to be so amazing CV's would even be allowed to division together...

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,783 battles

Finally, after a year, we get changes that should have been made ages ago. Thanks for getting around to it.

[WORX]
Members
12,074 posts
19,529 battles
7 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Any plans to limit DDs in COOP?

Dont Co-op have mirror match making ??? Meaning who ever in the population to queue up will reflect in the on the red side ???

If it is... I dont think it can happen without changing mirror MM for co-op.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,119 posts
8,861 battles
3 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

I think this is moving in the right direction. 3 cvs per side in lower tier matches isn't much fun for anyone but the cvs. 

As a CV player, even I don't think 3 CV matches are fun. While I was regrinding US CVs, I just was a bit annoyed, in fact, to have so little AA actually protecting the team, and CVs able to coordinate to a degree that they actually could CV snipe, defeating a massive portion of the entire point of this rework. 

Sure, it could be argued that I'm not one of the people spamming T4 with CVs regularly, and thus not really a part of that whole issue at all by this point, but point stands. Personally, I'd also rather have 1 CV in every match rather than 2 CVs in every other match, or 3 CVs in every third match. Once fighters come into play, it can even start to get confusing who has popped how many fighters, and dealing with fighters gets annoying fast, as they are largely just area denial rather than properly scary.

Edit: That said, I also feel that 3 CV matches were necessary until things cooled down, otherwise matchmaking would explode. Now we don't need them any longer, I hope.

Well, or matchmaker is gonna explode.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[PVE]
Members
12,924 posts
27,072 battles
22 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

Any plans to limit DDs in COOP?  Any more than 2 half-way decent DDs and BBs don't stand nary a chance of getting any real damage in as most DDs can get 1 alpha torpedo strikes to roughly every 3 BB salvos.  Unless AI is adjusted to not lemming train as much - which would afford BBs more time to land some hits - COOP needs a hard limit of 3, and a soft limit of 2 DDs.

What bothers me is the "new" cap #'s for DD's and BB's is 5-6 each  which replaces what I believe was the previous 4 max p/ game. IF this change also effects Co-op it is going to return things in respect to DD's to where they were before the 4 cap. 

It was not unheard of to take a BB, Cruiser, or CV into a game and see the entire rest of the team be all DD's (back when teams were 8). I can't begin to stress how badly that sucked and how happy I was when they did the 4 max cap. 4 is still WAY too many for "Co-op" in a game but 5-6 will really be awful. A 6 BB 3 Cruiser game would not be good for the Cruiser players either.

Unfortunately, WG has stated over and over in recent times, that they are focusing solely on PVP and that PVE is not a priority and doesn't matter to them. So I believe that this change to MM will include Co-op and it is such a BAD idea. It is a step back not forward for Co-op. But, it's Co-op and they clearly don't care.

Now if I am wrong and it is ONLY for PVP and Co-op stays with the 4 max limits I will apologize but I doubt I will have to. And I agree there needs to be a 2-3 DD cap for Co-op and the 4 BB seemed to work well too.

Just think about it. I actually don't think the 5-6 limits is good even in PVP. It is too many of 1 ship type for the % of the total team...

Randoms = 12 team members:

• 4 DD's or BB's = 33% of the team
  • 5 DD's or BB's = 42% of the team
  • 6 DD's or BB's = 50% of the team

Co-op = 9 team members:

• 4 DD's or BB's = 44% of the team
  • 5 DD's or BB's = 55% of the team
  • 6 DD's or BB's = 66% of the team

Ugh for Co-op :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1