You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cgbosn4

The Wager: Fire & Citadels

28 comments in this topic

[USCG]
Members
714 posts
22,003 battles

Just wondering if anyone has completed the new task for 20 fires and/or citadel ribbons in a battle? I would have to guess that if I loaded up my best fire starters with every possible flag & commander skill I could probably get around 10 or so (on a good day).  And if I'm pushing for fires I'd be lucky to squeeze in a cit or two.

Just think 20 is rather steep for a single battle...

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Not gonna lie......20 fires was a challenge I failed at yesterday with Zao.  I'll give it another go today in a different ship.

I'm sure it would be easy-peasy in Smolensk, but I really, really feel dirty playing that ship.

Hindenburg with Lutjens at the helm may be a decent option.....

Edited by Ace_04

[EQRN]
Members
2,166 posts
19,116 battles

You have 9 tasks, of which you only need 4 to complete the directive.  The reward is only one draconic flag, I think?  There’s no bonus to be had for completing all 9, so this and other similar tasks are nothing-burgers.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,584 battles

Has fire chances already been nerfed? Had my Boise out last night and even though I landed over 300 shells over two games using both fire signals and ifhe with HE not a single fire? Landed well over 100 on a BB (sank him) and nothing? This was a first! Almost like they knew I was going after that directive lol.

Members
429 posts
22,215 battles
11 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Here you go, just do citadels and fires in the same game.

image.png.ab91e73ff93eb4d876fab16527f4cdd7.png

That's impressive, Mix :-)

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,086 posts
27,690 battles
1 minute ago, Ariokk said:

That's impressive, Mix :-)

Bah, not really.  ONLY 1 torpedo hit.......Smolensk needs a serious buff.  :Smile_facepalm:

[-KAK-]
Members
608 posts
12,102 battles

My average in Hindy is somewhere around 12-13 fires a game. It's doable, but it'll take a bit of focus to do.

I think Mix has the right idea - get a ship with fast guns and low alpha, and then get a whole bunch of citadels quickly. You need something that'll cit, but won't kill the target quickly.

Members
429 posts
22,215 battles
1 minute ago, Merc85 said:

Bah, not really.  ONLY 1 torpedo hit.......Smolensk needs a serious buff.  :Smile_facepalm:

He's in a Kleber

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,683 posts
6,793 battles
2 minutes ago, Ariokk said:

He's in a Kleber

1 minute ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Kleber?

I think hes saying that the smolensk was too  easy of  a target. 

Members
429 posts
22,215 battles

LOL , the Smolensk is what killed him.  Couldn't have been THAT easy of a target. :-P 

1 minute ago, eviltane said:

Edited by Ariokk

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

The way to do it is with a ship with a high rate of fire but enough punch to score citadels at short range.  A ship like that can rack up a dozen citadels in seconds if you manage to get the broadside of a cruiser at short range.  Easier said than done, but not impossible.

[-KAK-]
Members
608 posts
12,102 battles
2 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Ahh, ok, that would make more sense.

[SALVO]
Members
2,683 posts
6,793 battles
2 minutes ago, Ariokk said:

LOL , the Smolensk is what killed him.  Couldn't have been THAT easy of a target. :-P 

:cap_yes: How does the saying go ? " The minds of men are mysterious "  , or something like that. 

Members
429 posts
22,215 battles
Just now, eviltane said:

:cap_yes: How does the saying go ? " The minds of men are mysterious "  , or something like that. 

lol

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
26 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

You have 9 tasks, of which you only need 4 to complete the directive.  The reward is only one draconic flag, I think?  There’s no bonus to be had for completing all 9, so this and other similar tasks are nothing-burgers.

But why include near impossible tasks in the event in the 1st place? IMO objectives like these only feeds the animosity many players have towards WG.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,738 posts
7,264 battles

Indomitable with stacked flags and a DE captain is IMO certainly a good option for this.    I tried it once last night and of course got the quick fold match and was being chased by enemy ships from two flanks in 1st 5 mins, got pissed and went on to playing something else.    Smolensk is a good option but i think I have IFHE also for every DE captain that I could put in it.   .    

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,644 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

It's not so much that you just have to get 4 to complete the directive, it's that these wager tasks are near impossible to accomplish and the reward is so minuscule why even waste our time putting them in.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,667 posts
8,747 battles

Some combination of luck in matchmaking and initial positioning with a cruiser with a lot of gun barrels and a fast fire rate is probably doable. Like, Smolensk, Puerto Rico, or Des Moines and getting lucky enough to have a game that is chock full of light cruisers and battleships driven by potatoes. I think my top record is 15-ish citadels in cruisers, so it's not inconceivable to think that you might get a few fires to finish off the 20. 

... but I sure as heck wouldn't specifically try to grind this task.

Members
429 posts
22,215 battles
On 2/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, mixmkz said:

Here is another game where the fire + citadel > 20

giphy.gif

nice work :-) I'm trying to do it just because I like a challenge... and this is one hell of a challenge

[PVE]
Members
4,823 posts
21,183 battles

Now, if you could combine fire and citadels into a 20 pack!!!  I've come close with 15 of both.   Not hit 20 yet and I rarely play a Random match.