Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

New BRN CA's Impressions Part 2

11 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
12,878 posts
26,925 battles

As a follow up to the thread below where I gave my initial impressions on the T5 Hawkins, T6 Devonshire, and T8 Albemarle I figured I would do the same for the T7 Surrey (which I didn't get in early access), T9 Drake, and T10 Goliath. Have only played a game in Goliath so far so will start there and then will edit this post with the info for Surrey and Drake after I play them.

UPDATE - all 3 ships reviewed...

T10 Goliath:

Spoiler

1st up is the T10 Goliath. Had high hopes for this line when it 1st was announced but the WIP streams and replays kind of disappointed. The other thread covers T5/T6/T8 so only going to talk about these new ships. Goliath looked like a MONSTER on paper stat wise but from what I saw of it being played by the CC's and ST's I wasn't impressed. Guns seemed average at best (if not underperforming for what/how big they are) and while tanky with enough angle the slightest misjudge in that angle resulted in massive damage and lots of citadels. So I was a bit wary here in the 1st game.

I didn't get shot at a ton but I was mainly bow in to it so it did little damage. The little damage I took was mostly fires (typical in this game). Concealment is decent for such a big ship and it is surprisingly nimble for it's stats. It seems to speed up/slow down decent which let me dodge a lot of torps that popped up close in this one. I was able to engage the bot Goliath and got a couple salvos off on it. Oh boy is the armor on this suspect when you are shot at even angled it appears. The final salvo I got off before someone killed it was with it angled pretty good (yellow in the navigator mod) heading away and I got 6 citadels, SIX, for 34,500 damage! :Smile_ohmy: I also spanked a Des Moines pretty hard that was angled coming at me too. So the AP seems to do a lot better than it appeared in the videos I saw. Didn't use HE much and most was at range vs a DD so not a lot of hits. But for 11 hits I got 2 fires. Damage was about 9K. So the jury is still out on it's HE. Need to use it more. 

Gun accuracy is really good. I am actually using MBM2 instead of ASM1 to get those big [edited] guns swinging as fast as they can. It's down to just 15.7 sec without EM. Using MBM2 in slot 3 is letting me use the 2pts I would normally use on EM elsewhere (probably AR). I think I will be using the new MBM2 that doesn't impact reload now a lot (hey Yama and Mushi LOL). I also decided not to use MBM3 in slot 6 to lower the reload. Instead I went for the GFCS2 mod which boosts range. Stock range is only 16.8km which is iffy with the armor and size of this thing. So I went for the extra range (19.5km now) over faster reload. Stock reload is 18.5 sec which is LONG I know but to use MBM3 it only drops to 16.3 sec and it makes the turrets slower. So I figured keep the stock reload, add range, and then with the 2pts I saved on EM I can slot AR which will speed up reload as HP goes down. Good compromise IMO.

Didn't really get to try AA even with a CV in game. Torps have decent angles. I think I will like it. I am surprised. Had a negative mindset going into it but 1st game changed my view on that. I know it's just 1 game but it let me test a lot of things I was worried about and only the armor seems to be a real issue. Decent ship overall I believe.

Surrey and Drake views to follow later today (they will be shorter honest LOL).

1st game in it and running the new BRN Legendary Capt Sir Andrew Cunningham on it w/ 15pts...

IVGJWbr.jpg

3yo0gUR.jpg

wLWl0Xd.jpg

mfp1LXR.jpg

CQOC9tM.jpg

T9 Drake:

Spoiler

So I just had my 1st game in Drake. Pretty much it feels like Goliath although it' smaller and you don't feel as massive. HOWEVER, my armor fears came to light early on.  I was following a group to cap and not too far out of spawn I got targeted by 2 ships. Had 3 in front of me so angled into them thinking it was 2 of them; nope was only 1. The bot GK on the other side of the map actually had me flat broadside and as bots will do it ignored close in ships to shoot me. And as always happens, even with a ship as notoriously inaccurate as GK, it just paddled me bad. Frankly I should have been dead. Took me from 100% HP down to a tiny sliver of orange. :Smile_facepalm:

The heal is pretty good and I got back up to just into the yellow and thought phew I am ok. Nope. I was targeted constantly by 3 bots (Venezia behind me and 2 BB in distance) and despite angling good as I kited away and WASD like mad to dodge shells I was quickly chunked down and eventually taken out by Venezia and SAP. My lord it takes damage so easy. OUCH! :Smile_hiding:

I think it is a good ship but good lord stay at range at all times and don't think you can bounce incoming. Not happening. Pretty much I went the exact same on Capt build as I did Goliath as well as going with the same modules; once more going for faster turret rotation and range over reload.  Running Jingles on it at 19pts (for some reason his voice over didn't work? got to check settings).

1st Game was not a good showing but 2 minutes in I was already under 1/2 HP and into my heals from taking ONE salvo from the GK. 

7POuseT.jpg

R2hxn0v.jpg

1kwxBFc.jpg

d3nFIaZ.jpg

d6tJzm6.jpg

T7 Surrey:

Spoiler

And last but not least we have the T7 Surrey. Went into it predisposed to dislike it but I was pleasantly surprised. It felt pretty strong. Have enough games with the new BRN 203MM's I was comfortable with them from the get go. I found a nice island I could shoot over and not get detected so I had the broadside of the bots sailing past. It was glorious! LOL.  Well until the Fiji decided hey let's sail right through the little gap between the Admiral and the island, almost crashing into him, so he can clip me with his guns. I mean NO reason for the Fiji to do that and of course I didn't notice him until I had fired and hit him. I HATE people who do that to you.

But back to Surrey...

Fast enough, nimble enough, very good concealment (10.0km), very good AA, plus hard  hitting guns. Even has torps with decent angels and very good damage. Range is ok but not great at just 14.8km. Wish it was at least 1km longer. A good Cruiser though I believe. I was able to WASD and dodge incoming, or angel and bounce it, at the end as I was the only one who stayed near base (everyone else went CV chasing:Smile_sceptic:) as both the Normandie and New Mexico charged it. Normandie got into the base and New Mexico got close. Burned Normandie down and torped New Mexico to end game.

Not sure how Surrey will fair vs T8 and T9 ships but vs T5-T7 it seems strong. I suspect vs the higher tier ships it will struggle due to weaker armor and less gun range like all Cruiser/ships do when bottom tier. If you get in a T5-T7 match with this you should do very well. 

I once again went for MBM2 (drops turret rotation to 19.6) because it is accurate enough that it doesn't need ASM1 instead of using 2 Capt pts on EM. I am only running a 10pt Capt on Surrey so I went with AR for the 2pt skill. 

Pleasantly surprised. So much so I will probably invest in the perma camo.

1st game was really good.

J4a0h4Z.jpg

3jCSB14.jpg

COquMMu.jpg

qBabt0X.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
15,116 battles

thanks Admiral, especially for the specifics on build out.  

[WOLF3]
Members
28,774 posts
25,041 battles

Surrey's been okay for me but personally, I feel like she's just a worse version of Myoko.  The Repair Party is a nice perk.  Again, Cruiser access to that consumable below Tier IX is a very jealously guarded perk.  You make a mistake and eat big AP Citadel hits, it's not going to save you, but if you manage the damage you take, Repair Party gives you great staying power.

Range is underwhelming at 14.8km while Myoko has 15.6km.

Reload is meh.  Reloads faster than Myoko, but the IJN CA has 10 guns and "Zao Dispersion" which is superior to even Cruiser Dispersion.

Compounding that is having only 203mm x8 main battery.

Very light on armor, invites lots of easy Pens by BB shells.  Myoko is sturdier.  She even has a 32mm deck.  Tier VII Myoko is better armored than Tier VIII Mogami.

Speed is a very sore weakness, IMO.  To be fair it's comparable to lots of Cruisers at 30kts.  It's average.  But Myoko goes 35kts, she has some zip to her.  Myoko even has better Rudder Shift time.

Gun range and mediocre speed together was annoying many times.  Those occasions you want to go super fast to gun down targets before your teammates can, Surrey with 30kts is just slow.  Even worse is the gun range hindering you further.

Myoko has the speed, range, accuracy to hopefully get to targets sooner than your teammates, so you can get in your damage.

Surrey's not bad... Just compared to Myoko and her *many* clones, she's rather dull.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Surrey's been okay for me but personally, I feel like she's just a worse version of Myoko.  The Repair Party is a nice perk.  Again, Cruiser access to that consumable below Tier IX is a very jealously guarded perk.  You make a mistake and eat big AP Citadel hits, it's not going to save you, but if you manage the damage you take, Repair Party gives you great staying power.

Range is underwhelming at 14.8km while Myoko has 15.6km.

Reload is meh.  Reloads faster than Myoko, but the IJN CA has 10 guns and "Zao Dispersion" which is superior to even Cruiser Dispersion.

Compounding that is having only 203mm x8 main battery.

Very light on armor, invites lots of easy Pens by BB shells.  Myoko is sturdier.  She even has a 32mm deck.  Tier VII Myoko is better armored than Tier VIII Mogami.

Speed is a very sore weakness, IMO.  To be fair it's comparable to lots of Cruisers at 30kts.  It's average.  But Myoko goes 35kts, she has some zip to her.  Myoko even has better Rudder Shift time.

Gun range and mediocre speed together was annoying many times.  Those occasions you want to go super fast to gun down targets before your teammates can, Surrey with 30kts is just slow.  Even worse is the gun range hindering you further.

Myoko has the speed, range, accuracy to hopefully get to targets sooner than your teammates, so you can get in your damage.

Surrey's not bad... Just compared to Myoko and her *many* clones, she's rather dull.

Thank you for this candid review. I was thinking of spending some FXP to get Surrey, but after reading this, I am certain I will not do it.

[TAZ]
Members
833 posts

H

3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

1st game in it and running the new BRN Legendary Capt Sir Andrew Cunningham on it w/ 15pts...

IVGJWbr.jpg

How did you get him already?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
12 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

H

He finished the first directive.

(And I think dub crates give out the newer britcoins).

[WOLFG]
Members
11,139 posts
10,380 battles
5 minutes ago, Nutaz said:

Rgr that

AT actually likes the crates for the other stuff in them (if the other stuff is good enough).

[PVE]
Members
12,878 posts
26,925 battles
1 hour ago, Nutaz said:

H

1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

He finished the first directive.

(And I think dub crates give out the newer britcoins).

1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

AT actually likes the crates for the other stuff in them (if the other stuff is good enough).

Yes, I finished the 1st directive plus had some tokens from the London daily mission as well as some others I got somehow for something. I then used some of my Doubloon hoard to get the rest of the tokens needed. 1 Armory bundle gives 40 tokens. More or less I "bought" him; not going to try and say otherwise. And it was expensive!

I wanted to put him on the new T10 as I got that yesterday. However, that meant until I had the new Capt I couldn't play Goliath unless I used another Capt on it temporarily which would involve wasted resources swapping things around when I got Cunningham. So I just got Cunningham as fast as I could. In a weird twisted way it saved me some Doubloons (not really but it helped convince myself to do it LOL).

NOTE - he comes with 10 points NOT 15 as shown. I added 5 with some of my elite Capt XP reserves. I wish it had been 15 as it would have been a much better value for the price.

Yes, I buy crates and bundles for things OTHER than the RNG goodies you can maybe get 1st and foremost. If I don't like what the standard content is I won't buy it, and, while I usually do buy at least some there have been quite a few times I took a 100% pass on crates/bundles because the value for the guaranteed stuff just wasn't there. I made the exception this time though as the tokens are what I wanted and needed for the Capt. The rest of the stuff is honestly not worth it. The 1k Doubloons p/ bundle is not a good value unless like me you just want the tokens and are willing to pay for it. This was not my normal process. If I didn't need Cunningham now to use on Goliath I would have passed totally on the Armory bundles and just got him free like anyone can in time.

You can earn 1380 tokens if you do everything and you only need 1000 for Cunningham. The good news is this go round you can exchange extra tokens for more stuff unlike last event and the PR one. One of the things you can trade tokens in on is Doubloons. All my extra tokens I earn will go towards recouping at least some of the ones I used on Cunningham.

[PVE]
Members
12,878 posts
26,925 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

edgbXrN.jpg

Yes I saw you in your Lenin that game - I purposely came to that cap to make sure you were safe :Smile_ohmy:  

:Smile_hiding:

Sign in to follow this