You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TriHard_DodgeDealership

this game has no new players because low tiers are literally unplayable

114 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
133 posts

I remember when I first started how bad this game was until I got to tier 4. Even then the game isn't even good until tier 5. It's like WoT except much much worse in that regard. Nothing but slow, hunkering masses of ships that steam along at a maximum speed of 15 knots like the St. Louis or whatever. It's actively pushing away new players. I tried to get my friends to play this game but they were just bored. I couldn't get them past tier 3. I sound like a crazy old man when I try to tell them, "but it gets good later! I promise!" How many times were we told that about certain books but never read them because it took too long for them to get good? Same for WoWs.

Now you could make the argument that they don't have patience or are too ADHD or whatever, but this game should align with human nature, and that being, low attention span. I don't think you should get to steam through the tiers and get TX in a day, but getting to T4 and T5 ought to be faster. The game simply isn't fun in tiers 1 through 3.

I don't have a solution. But I certainly know anything lower than tier 4 is basically unfun and unplayable.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 13

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
736 posts
9,753 battles

I don' t think you know what literally means.   Hyperbole much?

I'm just going to say that I don't agree with your assessment that low tiers are unplayable because they are quite playable, though the last time I played them, it wasn't always easy to field full teams.  That resulted in me getting in a few one on one knife fights in my DD which was tremendous fun really.   One on one and only so many slip ups happen before one or the other succumbs?  That's good stuff!    But not all the time to be sure.  

Anyway, those low tier ships shouldn't be zooming around like jet skis simply because they were incapable of such speed.  Sorry you can't appreciate that.   And as for books, they aren't for everyone but those that take their time drawing a reader in are the ones I found most compelling.  If I wanted to read one where everything happens right away, well, that's what comic books are for.  Lastly, Wargaming products tend to reward the patient players who know that Rome wasn't built in a day.  For the instant gratification, low attention crowd, these games don't work as well I think.   Maybe something like Fortnight works better for them?

Sorry, one more thing:  with the directives and missions that Wargaming offers, those who don't have a ship of at least tier 5 are left out which IMO isn't great, as that might disenfranchise some.  Then again, some players see that as a challenge and push then to get an eligible ship so that they are in play for those directives.   Earn a few signals here and there, put them on a ship, get the XP and before you know it, tier 5 is here and comes pretty quickly.  If players are up for a bit of a challenge and aren't willing to spend $10 to just get a premium aka Texas.    Getting the Texas was basically the step that made me more of a regular player.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,737 posts
18,460 battles
13 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

But I certainly know anything lower than tier 4 is basically unfun and unplayable.

I like the lower tiers they are fun and quite playable. When I have all of the tech tree ships, that's where I will spend most of my time actually.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
11,951 posts
19,486 battles

Nothing new... I think WG has calculated the losses associated with neglecting new players... This has been going on for 2 years now...

It is what it is.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
387 posts
21,218 battles

I'm sorry you feel that way. My experience is completely opposite of yours.

I play Co-op at all tiers, but I play Random exclusively at Tier IV. To me it's highly enjoyable.

There are plenty of new players at that level of the game. I'm constantly checking profiles post-battle, to confirm my suspicions of whether a particular player is new or not. and I'm finding plenty of accounts that are just weeks or even days old, sometimes with fewer than 20 battles. There's lots of fresh meat on the map at Tier IV and below.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[G0ATS]
Members
294 posts
16,691 battles

The OP is not 100% wrong.  It is very slow for new players, especially those who are used to games like call of duty or world of tanks.

This game is not for everyone.  It is an acquired taste.  It isn’t for everyone.  (It’s perfect for me).

I will say that I disagree with the OP in that it should be easier to get to higher tiers.  It can take a month or two to go from tier 1 to tier 10 in tanks, very slow going.  This game, I mean with signals and camo you can obtain in free events, it’s a joke.  You can grind a tier 10 in less than 100 games if you play just 1 line.  I did it on an alt account.

Not sure what he’s talking about in that regard to be honest.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,488 posts
9,765 battles
38 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

I remember when I first started how bad this game was until I got to tier 4. Even then the game isn't even good until tier 5. It's like WoT except much much worse in that regard. Nothing but slow, hunkering masses of ships that steam along at a maximum speed of 15 knots like the St. Louis or whatever. It's actively pushing away new players. I tried to get my friends to play this game but they were just bored. I couldn't get them past tier 3. I sound like a crazy old man when I try to tell them, "but it gets good later! I promise!" How many times were we told that about certain books but never read them because it took too long for them to get good? Same for WoWs.

Now you could make the argument that they don't have patience or are too ADHD or whatever, but this game should align with human nature, and that being, low attention span. I don't think you should get to steam through the tiers and get TX in a day, but getting to T4 and T5 ought to be faster. The game simply isn't fun in tiers 1 through 3.

I don't have a solution. But I certainly know anything lower than tier 4 is basically unfun and unplayable.

I mean, slow ships at low tiers is nothing new. Plenty of people will tell you that they like WoWS being slower-paced when compared to your typical FPS games.

What's really punishing for new players is the 2-3 CVs per side in low tiers.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
7 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I mean, slow ships at low tiers is nothing new. Plenty of people will tell you that they like WoWS being slower-paced when compared to your typical FPS games.

I would think its resident seal clubbers with a couple thousand games in a v170 or umikaze, but that's just me...

• Cool 1

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
10 minutes ago, vak_ said:

To expect new players to persevere in the face of 2-3 CVs is a hopeless exercise.

I have invited friends to play WoWs and all of them quit after their ships were easily nuked by CVs.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,488 posts
9,765 battles
5 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I would think its resident seal clubbers with a couple thousand games in a v170 or umikaze, but that's just me...

DD seal clubbers teach newblies to zigzag.

CV seal clubbers teach newbies that you can't do anything when a CV decides to troll you.

Both lessons are applicable all the way to tier 10.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 2

Members
3,664 posts
42,372 battles

Well, when I started out, sure it was a struggle, but there was less content than now.

Right now if a new player is recruited through a link, they get drops and other stuff for just logging in.

Once they reach a certain service record, they get other stuff and so forth.

And this recent update further enhanced the service record. Even more stuff, incentives, etc.

The lower tiers are fun. And I occasionally go use ships there. Mikasa is really fun.

The DDs are fun because they reload fast. Cruisers vary in capabilities at those low tiers, but you have less pressure as the match progresses slowly.

But that is intentionally done to allow players to grow at a steady pace. Grow too fast and you might not be ready for upper tiers.

Lower tiers are there to help you with the fundamentals.

I was sure grateful I learned slow and also got help from players above my tier at the time.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

DD seal clubbers teach newblies to zigzag.

CV seal clubbers teach newbies that you can't do anything when a CV decides to troll you.

Zig zag... in a bracket where most ships barely make 20kts... vs a umikaze player that has 12k games in a umikaze…

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
  • Cool 2

[KILL]
Members
1,013 posts
11,536 battles
18 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

To expect new players to persevere in the face of 2-3 CVs is a hopeless exercise.

I have invited friends to play WoWs and all of them quit after their ships were easily nuked by CVs.

^^^^^^

Should be the sig on every player on these forums

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
15,667 posts
4,271 battles

Lower tier unplayable? I haven’t played in over a year but they were my favorite tiers with some of my favorite ships. Izyaslav, Clemson, Omaha, Furutaka (loves her even in closed beta), Wyoming, Fuso... even tiers 2 and 3 have some fun ships!

[-ICE-]
Members
470 posts

I consider myself new and I will agree its not a game new people can enjoy. You got tons of jurk offs who clearly come down from higher tiers with their invisable DD's and carriers to beat on newer people... one look at a profile will tell you.  They try to hide it by not joining a clan and not playing T10  but one look every stat is way up in % then look at thier ships they have all the sneakiest and worst ships for causing damage.  They come to low tiers to beat on everyone, never teaching, never suggesting a plan...nothing just beat on new people.    I say it now but its not a complaint.. its just how most people are in life.. no honor no respect 

• Cool 2

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,112 posts
11,050 battles

It pleases me to come in and rain on the parade of all the haters in this thread spreading gloom and doom about the growth of this game, because I get to quote one of my favorite Luke Skywalker quotes: "Everything you just said is wrong!"

Zoup recently posted a video about statistics SeaRaptor has been collecting. Europe is stable, Asia is starting to grow, and North America is growing. Interestingly, the only server with declining numbers is Russia, which is now smaller than Europe in player base.  It seems likely that the new OP Russian cruisers might be a winback attempt for the Russian server. Either way, for a game 5 years old, it is actually in a very good place, despite the massive amounts of naysaying.

• Cool 2

[NSEW]
Members
2,147 posts
11,515 battles
48 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Agreed also.  Many players have installed, tried the game, had great excitement to play a 'new' game.  Only to be met by the onslaught of CV that they encounter, which indeed led to them just calling it a day.

May I also add.  The lack of tutorials for new players are just incredibly counter intuitive, even trying to actively seek them out is a chore.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,479 posts
14,823 battles

The game has matured, try starting new in WoT, [edited], or AW, all games that have been out for some time. The one real issue we have is the over abundance of CV's in tier 4 but the answers to that are few and all have negative effects.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,307 battles

There are a number of reasons why OP has a point; one is that most new players have Captains with very few skill points which handicaps their abilities. Another is, of course, that they themselves also are less skilled than some of the other players they meet. Meeting multiple CVs starting at tier 3 cannot possibly help either. And the lack of training videos provided by WG, along with the fact that many of the CC vids were put together long ago before many of the recent changes occurred, makes learning a difficult and frustrating process. 

But training new players to survive doesn't put a dime into WG pockets, so you can bet those videos are a VERY low priority, probably as low as fixing the tier 4 CV problems.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,836 battles

If anything, I'd say it's the terrible balance, even when CVs were rare.

Just play Danae. I dare you. In fact, I double dare you! You have a 19mm cit deck, no smoke, 6 guns, and no hope. Anyone that said Emerald was the worst ship in the game clearly doesn't understand that Danae is that with none of the redeeming qualities, such as an amazing rack (something like 8 per side, if memory serves), smoking heavily, and has some pretty good guns for what she is.

There's also Kuma and Yubari that have a similar issue. What's that issue, you ask? Why, CVs can cit them! With HE! I may play CV a lot, but while regrinding my US CVs, citting them just felt all sorts of dirty.

Whoever decided these ships having their ultra thin decks be considered a cit is a huge jerk. Like, seriously. HUUUUUGE!

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[WOLFX]
Members
75 posts
15,524 battles

Thousands play low tiers, fighting bots, new players every day but for someone with your extensive experience, the battles are "literally unplayable".

[SRPH]
Members
111 posts
1,817 battles

The main problem I have with T4 is they don’t register on the directives. As a result I only have one at T4 or below and I never run it....

[ARRSE]
Members
213 posts
1,405 battles

Hey, try WoWP if you want to experience a really noob-unfriendly game.

Not only is there out of control professional seal-clubbing, but those clubbers have planes that are equipped with upgrades that are grind-gated. This means that, even if you are a talented noob that can hold out against the clubber's maxed "crew skills", you'll get clubbed anyway because your plane is out-performed in every respect by an identical plane equipped with those superior upgrades.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,906 posts
16,566 battles

Low tiers could use some work, in the interest of hooking and keeping new players.  T4 CV's need serious looking into, as clubbers are doing nasty work there.  Perhaps there should be small missions for low tiers only that award things that new players can really use, such as credits or more uncommonly, port slots.  I don't play anything below tier 5 anymore because there is no point in it.  Queue times are long and result in small teams, CV's run amok, and there are no missions to complete.

Luring and hooking new players DOES pay off for WG, because it brings more wallets into the game.  I hope WG will invest some time and effort into making low tiers more enjoyable.

• Cool 1

[KIA-C]
Members
3,578 posts
15,788 battles

I hate slow ship, which is why I didn't grind USN BB, so if you're a BB player, yes you're going to hate low tier.

But for cruisers and destroyers, it is actually pretty ok. I had tons of fun with Kuma, St Louis and Svietlana, but these are pretty much the only low tier ship I like.

The only thing that can make new player leave the game are those constant 2/3 seal clubber CV/team. This is an issue and need to be adressed but other than that, there's nothing wrong with low tier.

• Cool 1