You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Smolensk or Jean Bart

30 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

Should I grind for balans or fun? I think I am going to get enough coal to get one of them before they’re removed.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,492 posts
14,823 battles

With the experience you have I suggest neither. If you do decide to get one anyway I suggest only taking it out in co-op. They are not being permanently removed and should return at some point.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
189 posts
6,887 battles

Jean Bart will certainly come back in containers

Smolensk is unlikely to return for the foreseeable future but it will get a nerf to its armor. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,501 posts
9,777 battles
33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are not being permanently removed and should return at some point.

Wait, I thought they were being completely removed. Did WG specifically say something to dispel that rumor?

36 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I think I am going to get enough coal to get one of them before they’re removed.

I personally find JB to be a lot more fun, but your mileage may vary.

Also, you should grind out more tech trees in order to understand how higher tiers work, before jumping into Smol or JB.

1,063 posts
8 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

Smolensk is unlikely to return for the foreseeable future but it will get a nerf to its armor. 

it has armor?  :Smile_teethhappy:

still quite a bit short to get one myself ... :Smile_sad:

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
10 minutes ago, Ozium said:

it has armor?  :Smile_teethhappy:

Da. Glorious soviet paper armor is best armor, comrade. Turn flat broadside and watch everything go in one side and out the other for minimal damage. 

1,063 posts
3 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Da. Glorious soviet paper armor is best armor, comrade. Turn flat broadside and watch everything go in one side and out the other for minimal damage. 

i wish lol

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,492 posts
14,823 battles
21 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Wait, I thought they were being completely removed. Did WG specifically say something to dispel that rumor?

Just rotated out for awhile. Neither are over powered although the Smol is toxic.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,447 posts
5,586 battles

I would get Smol for how many missions it could help you achieve with ease like light so many ships on fire, hit so many ships so many times with battery. etc.

In that regard Smol is very worth the investment. I have one myself for this purpose.

• Cool 3

Members
10,747 posts
18,476 battles
58 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

That's actually a buff, if you want it more fragile you have to add a little armor.

[PHD]
Members
1,746 posts
7,136 battles
8 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

That's actually a buff, if you want it more fragile you have to add a little armor.

You have to aim for the shaft drive turbines. Hitting the boilers just makes it smoke more and spills the crew's vodka which makes them irratable.:Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
251 posts
4,133 battles

Jean Bart is a fun ship to play, her guns are laser beams and they seem to have great pen, especially against cruisers. She prints cits for anyone with reasonable aim, and her main batter reload booster can seriously punish any ship caught unaware or mid-turn.

I have very much enjoyed her, although I do have admittedly low experience with this game. 

• Cool 1

Members
845 posts
4,679 battles

Smolensk is a vastly overpowered he smoke spammer that may be brought down to earth by incoming nerfs.

The Jean Bart is a strong bow on Battleship that can push flanks that will likely be as strong as it is forever.

They are so different you don't really compare them against each other but compare the type of gameplay they both have and which you'd prefer.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,667 posts
8,757 battles
12 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

You have to aim for the shaft drive turbines. Hitting the boilers just makes it smoke more and spills the crew's vodka which makes them irratable.:Smile_izmena:

No, Soviet balans! Hitting the boilers adds +1 to Smolensk's smoke consumable!

12 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

I would get Smol for how many missions it could help you achieve with ease like light so many ships on fire, hit so many ships so many times with battery. etc.

In that regard Smol is very worth the investment. I have one myself for this purpose.

I agree. Smolensk is a great ship to have in your port because of how strong it is at completing campaign and directive tasks.

[SALVO]
Members
2,685 posts
6,793 battles
14 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Should I grind for balans or fun? I think I am going to get enough coal to get one of them before they’re removed.

Its a balancing act of a decision.  Personally I think the JB looks funner.

7,026 posts
27,717 battles
14 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

Link? If not, it's just a rumour. All the broken boats made it into the Christmas container. 

The JB is the more fun ship to play. The Smolensk is brocken if the player knows how to play her and the other team let you play that style. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,322 posts
17,497 battles

Hmm I have both and I like both but JB is more flexible and is not as situational and in my opinion more fun.

[WOLF6]
Members
189 posts
6,887 battles
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Link? If not, it's just a rumour. All the broken boats made it into the Christmas container. 

The JB is the more fun ship to play. The Smolensk is brocken if the player knows how to play her and the other team let you play that style. 

I used the word "unlikely" which would suggest it's a guess.  And it's a guess based the fact there are no tier ten ships in crates and there are no direct sales as well.  

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
18 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

That's a tough call. I would wager on Smolensk likely never to return in the normal manner and Jean Bart to just be gone for a while. Both are fun ships. Jean Bart is a darn good BB but less oppressive to the enemy. That's not to say less dangerous, just in a different way that doesn't irritate people as much.

Edited by _Caliph_

[WOLFG]
Members
11,174 posts
10,394 battles
17 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

I have the JB, and it is fun, but this man is wise. 

If you were to play high tier Random without experience, you would likely end up enjoying the JB more.

Members
73 posts
106 battles

Hi

Questions about the Smolensk - does the armor changes help or hinder her  - seems the thinner plate works in her favour, for bow / stern but then it seems like she could easier to citadel from better gun penetration ?

And does the commander still take IFHE  and/or/neither  DE ?

Also I find to complete those task like start fires are easily done in a T5 RN BB ( 40 % chance to start fire )  and for main batteries hits a Akizuki makes for easy work

Members
222 posts
9,987 battles

I have both and personally while Smolensk is OP and is great for fire starting missions and such Jean Bart is FUN its my favorite BB in the game and I can't recommend it enough. God help the poor soul who forgets JB has reload booster LOL. :cap_viking: