Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
beliy_demon

What is Goliaths point?

31 comments in this topic

[KIA-C]
Members
3,580 posts
15,792 battles

If you have a deep hatred for Baijie, Yamato and Musashi, then Goliath is the go to cruisers.

Because muh soviet steel, you still can't pen Kreml and Soyuz deck thanks to their convenient 60mm deck armour but, other than being a pain to BB and being able to heal a lot of the damage you take, she isn't anything special

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
9,185 posts
11,768 battles
17 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

The long reload in a rapid fire meta doesn't bode well.

Venezia would like a word with you on this matter.

• Cool 3

[-KAK-]
Members
608 posts
12,102 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

You can start the match saying, "Goliath online."

YES!

I need to remember to do this when I get mine

[RBMKI]
Members
371 posts
6,248 battles

Puerto Rico HE loves the Goliath long time. :Smile_trollface:

[TNG-S]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,553 battles
4 minutes ago, MudRaker227 said:

Puerto Rico HE loves the Goliath long time. :Smile_trollface:

Goliath HE loves the PR long time. :Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
670 posts
12,633 battles
4 hours ago, beliy_demon said:

Played a few games, can't really see what it does well.   

Its an odd CA slow shell can hit hard on soft targets, AP meeh has ok torp angles.  and some what tanky of a CA.  Not really sure how to rate the ship yet.   Its a big upgrade from it T9 oooohh what that was a painful grind. glade i had good camos to power through the pain.

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
4 hours ago, beliy_demon said:

With IFHE it can cit a mino... cool

How does it cit a Mino? The citadel belt is over 100mm against 76mm of pen and you can't pen the citadel with plunging fire because HE shells explodes on contact with plating.

What am I missing here?

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Frankly, I don't really understand the point of British CAs in general. Yes, they can heal... but the Japanese heavy cruisers are better or as-good in pretty much every offensive category. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts

Their gimmick of "above average armor for active maneuvering" seems fairly underwhelming.  Really, they just seem like IJN CAs but with better HE pen, and some sidegrades to that.

I don't know, Goliath doesn't look like it would replace Zao for me.  While the HE pen would be very nice, having that laser-point accuracy and concealment for aggressive anti-DD plays I think would have more influence.

The entire line seems super boring.  It'll probably the first cruiser line I skip in this game unless I feel bored.

[UEFN]
Members
1,349 posts
23,947 battles

Goliath is a good Pinata, this is something you want at the frontline to be a meat shield for your team to take the heat off of your teammate.

457mm AP love Goliath long time, very long long time!  lol

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
33 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Their gimmick of "above average armor for active maneuvering" seems fairly underwhelming.  Really, they just seem like IJN CAs but with better HE pen, and some sidegrades to that.

I don't know, Goliath doesn't look like it would replace Zao for me.  While the HE pen would be very nice, having that laser-point accuracy and concealment for aggressive anti-DD plays I think would have more influence.

The entire line seems super boring.  It'll probably the first cruiser line I skip in this game unless I feel bored.

And Zao has much better conceal, troll armor, and stealth torp. These new cruisers feel like someone designed and balanced them for release 2 years ago and then shelved the line. Certainly not the normal slight power creep associated with a new line. The armor isn't much better than something like a DM, they handle like trucks, and have poor ballistics and no utility. Yay.

Edited by ksix

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,764 battles
9 hours ago, beliy_demon said:

IFHE rework might make it good for clubbing CLs if they get 16mm of bow armor.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,427 posts
12,353 battles
10 hours ago, beliy_demon said:

HE spam with 50+mm of HE pen stock, youre basically the bane of every high tier Russian cruiser

Edited by tcbaker777

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,868 battles
8 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

Frankly, I don't really understand the point of British CAs in general. Yes, they can heal... but the Japanese heavy cruisers are better or as-good in pretty much every offensive category. 

13 hours ago, beliy_demon said:

They don't have to have a point. They're there because they existed (some of them anyway) and they need a T10 that is similar in playstyle to cap out the line. They also exist for variety. Some people like them. Personally, I generally agree. They aren't really great at anything. The lower tier ones are actually useful because of their heal. The upper tier ones don't do anything that other CAs don't do better. They aren't bad ships but they aren't really world beaters. They're ok. Personally I can't think of too many instances where I would want Goliath over DM, or a Zao, or Hindy. It may resonate for some people. That's Goliath's "point." 

Sign in to follow this