You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SpinyMuffins

How to assign captains to new ships?

12 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
1,657 battles

I just unlocked the Colorado, and now I want to transfer my 13 point captain from my New Mexico and replace the default 0 point captain. How do you do this?

I've actually done this before, but the UI seems kind of buggy and doesn't always allow it.

Before, I just go to the new ship, click it's captain, and then under "From Other Ships" I select the captain of the old ship, right click and select Assign. But this time it won't let me. It just gives me the option to "Go to Personal File" or "Dismiss", and I don't want to do either of those.

Do I need to delete my New Mexico in order to free up the captain before I can transfer him?

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles

It can be done from the personnel file area.

Assign current captain to "reserves".

Go to "Port".

On the ship there should be a "needs captain" notification.  Hover the mouse over the space where a Captain is normally viewed and use the menu to "assign Commander" or something like that.  Choose the Commander that you wish to assign to the ship (provided they're of the correct nation to Captain the ship).

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles

"Managing Commanders

Clicking on the Commander portrait in the top right of the Port screen brings up the Commander interface. This screen allows players to manage their Commanders in various ways.

Commander_Interface.png

The Commander Interface: current skills (Red 1), redistribution (Orange 2), reserve Commanders (Green 3), current Commander (Blue 4), and Elite Commander experience (Purple 5).
The currently selected Commander is shown in the top right; the Commander skills trained are shown in the center. The drop down menu next to the Commander's name allows players to assign the Commander to another ship, send him to Reserve, dismiss him, or Go to their Personal File. Directly below the currently selected Commander is shown other Commanders that are eligible for use on the selected ship. The toggle at the top shows either commanders currently assigned to other ships, or those that are in Reserve.

The center of the Commander Interface displays the Commander skill tree — discussed in detail below — with currently trained skills highlighted. At the far left is the Redistribute function, that allows players to "respec" their Commanders by clearing their skill selections, thus allowing skill points to be assigned again.  ..."

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

Screenshot? You might be displaying ship specs instead of available captains.

Members
32 posts
1,657 battles

There's no "assign current captain to reserves" option on my personnel file area. However, that does let me dismiss my new captain. Then it suddenly allowed me to assign old captains from other ships. A very unintuitive UI, but it worked.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
17 minutes ago, SpinyMuffins said:

There's no "assign current captain to reserves" option on my personnel file area. However, that does let me dismiss my new captain. Then it suddenly allowed me to assign old captains from other ships. A very unintuitive UI, but it worked.

I move commanders between my premium ships all the time, to build up elite commander XP. Sometimes when I pick a ship without the commander the assign commander will not pop up. I've had to restart the game to get this to work.

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles

The quirks and bugs seem to be increasing with the pace of the patches being released.   :Smile_sad:

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,952 posts
47,614 battles
56 minutes ago, SpinyMuffins said:

Before, I just go to the new ship, click it's captain, and then under "From Other Ships" I select the captain of the old ship, right click and select Assign. But this time it won't let me. It just gives me the option to "Go to Personal File" or "Dismiss", and I don't want to do either of those.

No need to right-click.  Just left click and it will automatically assign the selected commander.

[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,952 battles
1 hour ago, SpinyMuffins said:

I just unlocked the Colorado, and now I want to transfer my 13 point captain from my New Mexico and replace the default 0 point captain. How do you do this?

I've actually done this before, but the UI seems kind of buggy and doesn't always allow it.

Do I need to delete my New Mexico in order to free up the captain before I can transfer him?

41 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

It might be happening if you have no free Commander Reserve slots.

This^^^

I took a screenshot and right at the bottom of the Cmdr info if the number of vacant Cmdr slots. As you can see I have 47 open spots out of my 127 Cmdr slots. If you have no Cmdr slots, when you tried to send your NM Cmdr to the CO, the CO Cmdr would have no where to go if you are out of Cmdr slots.

589928988_Cmdrslots.thumb.JPG.5d256b54644400ecde9ef869400985b1.JPG

[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,952 battles
1 hour ago, KubsnazX said:

where does one put a 9 point russian commander?

if i put on a t2, do i have to pay to release him or what?

Where ever you need him. If he is assigned to a tech tree ship that he is not trained for, he will have to be retrained. Each Cmdr can only be trained on one tech tree ship and forgets past tech tree ship training. 

Personally, I feel that you need at least a 10pts for T6+ ships, 14pts for T8+ ships and as high as you can get for T10. But put him where you need him and if he is lower skilled than you need, just keep training him up there.