You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MandoWarrior1

Any advice?

38 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles

I have not played in a very long time. After seeing the new CV changes, I wanted to get back into it so I have a few questions.

Are battleships any good and are their any good videos to watch or strategies to learn for them?

How are the German cruisers? 

The Hakryugu CV((I know its bad spelling)). What are the traits of its planes? The wiki doesn't provide information about this CV for some reason.

[WORX]
Members
11,989 posts
19,501 battles
9 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

I have not played in a very long time. After seeing the new CV changes, I wanted to get back into it so I have a few questions.

Are battleships any good and are their any good videos to watch or strategies to learn for them?

The Hakryugu CV((I know its bad spelling)). What are the traits of its planes? The wiki doesn't provide information about this CV for some reason.

WOWS is a BB centered game... Well BB/guns/rockets to be honest...

Any BB from tier 8 and above will inflate the players BB skills (consider them as performance enhancers) Easily.

The Hindinburg is still the must used/versitile cruiser in the game...

No comment on CVs.

Edited by Navalpride33

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

WOWS is a BB centered game... Well BB/guns/rockets to be honest...

Any BB from tier 8 and above will inflate the players BB skills (consider them as performance enhancers) Easily.

The Hindinburg is still the must used/versitile cruiser in the game...

No comment on CVs.

So BB"s got buffed or something or the others got nerfed? From when I used to play, flamethrower cruisers and DD's rekt BB's

[WORX]
Members
11,989 posts
19,501 battles
4 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

So BB"s got buffed or something or the others got nerfed? From when I used to play, flamethrower cruisers and DD's rekt BB's

High tier games is an acquired taste... So you been briefed and warned...

But if you insist and you like it then i will not hold it against you, nor judge you on your life choices :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Navalpride33

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
1 hour ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Hakuryu's national perk/flavor is enhanced stealth torpedo bombers. Its dive bombers drop AP bombs also.

Edited by _Caliph_

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles
1 hour ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Yes.  Battleships are still good.
Yes, I'm sure there are youtube videos available to watch.

I like the German cruisers.  

Hakuryu's planes are Tier-10, late WW-II aircraft that are "brought to life" here in the game. 
The stats are in the information I've copied/pasted from the ship's wiki entry.

Attack Aircraft Cruise Speed
(knot)
Average Damage per Second
(HP/min)
Loadout Hit Points
(HP)
  Research price
(exp)
Purchase price
(Credits)
A7M Reppū 156 0 0 1,450   0 1,000,000
A8M Rikufū 165 0 0 1,510   38,000 2,500,000

Torpedo Bombers Maximum Torpedo Damage
(HP)
Cruise Speed
(knot)
Hit Points
(HP)
  Research price
(exp)
Purchase price
(Credits)
C6N Saiun 9,333 141 1,750   0 1,000,000
J5N Tenrai Type 91 mod. 7 9,333 145 1,820   38,000 2,500,000

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles
1 minute ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Well Ive bought the Graf  Zepplin... and im already having fun lmbo.

im not very good at it, but the new mechanics is alot of fun.

:cap_like:

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

You have made your bias against BB's well known but inquiries for advice should be made with far more objectivity & no subjectivity.

BB's do NOT "Inflate the players BB skills".

I would search Youtube & Twitch for videos on playing BB's.

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

I have not played in a very long time. After seeing the new CV changes, I wanted to get back into it

Because you stated you haven't played in a very long time I will warn you the CV rework implementation did not go very well to say the least. There is a lot of anger surrounding CV still displayed in the forum, even when a person is asking for advice.

I'm glad you back & hope you enjoy today's version of the game.

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
609 posts
3,903 battles

Check out WoWs Wiki, it gives good info on every ship. German cruisers are very tough, have excellent AP, but struggle to start fires.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles
22 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Because you stated you haven't played in a very long time I will warn you the CV rework implementation did not go very well to say the least. There is a lot of anger surrounding CV still displayed in the forum, even when a person is asking for advice.

I'm glad you back & hope you enjoy today's version of the game.

Well, I notice that if the enemy actually groups up properly, I cant get my planes through and... it sucks. lol

Granted im also being uptiered every single game.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,319 posts
11 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Well, I notice that if the enemy actually groups up properly, I cant get my planes through and... it sucks. lol

It's cool that you bought a premium CV but I would advise backing up a bit and working your way through the normal CV lines.  They will teach you how to play CVs with a bit less AA to deal with than at T8-T10.  You will get T10 games often in any T8 ship and T10 AA is some of the most brutal on them.

The GZ is a fun ship, her planes are blazing fast and you can get where you need to be in a hurry.  They fairly weak though and can't take a hit.  She has fewer planes than say the Kaga in her hanger and has a lowish regen rate, so plane losses can be very punishing.

She takes some CV experience to make work well.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It's cool that you bought a premium CV but I would advise backing up a bit and working your way through the normal CV lines.  They will teach you how to play CVs with a bit less AA to deal with than at T8-T10.  You will get T10 games often and T10 AA is some of the most brutal.

The GZ is a fun ship, her planes are blazing fast and you can get where you need to be in a hurry.  They fairly weak though and can't take a hit.  She has fewer planes than say the Kaga and and has a lowish regen rate.

She takes some CV experience to make work, well.

Im not sure what im supposed to be doing better. You either get your planes killed or you go in for a run. You can't really dodge all that much esp if theres 2 or more ships. I have already gotten enough experience in my games to already figure out this was a mistake purchase.

[A-D-F]
8,319 posts
9 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Im not sure what im supposed to be doing better. You either get your planes killed or you go in for a run. You can't really dodge all that much esp if theres 2 or more ships. I have already gotten enough experience in my games to already figure out this was a mistake purchase.

She wasn't a mistake if you like CVs.  I own all the CV line ships and all the premiums.  With that as a reference, I enjoy the GZ.  She has some neat features.

You just have to learn to be careful with her and not put her planes in a position that will exploit their weaknesses.

You cannot dodge mid or close range AA.  It is a damage over time mechanic that works on "ticks".  The longer you are in it, the more damage you will take.  The GZ combats this mechanic and her weak planes, with speed.  Saving your boost and knowing when to manually fly the planes out of the AA vs, "f", makes a big difference.

You CAN dodge a lot of the AA flak (the black clouds), but it does take a bit of practice.  The flak is what is REALLY deadly.

You can also predrop to get your squad size down, so as not to take damage over a the full squad, if you know you are going into a big ball of stacked up AA.

You can also learn to use the immune window, and time your drops based on distance to the target, to minimize your time in the DOT AA.  This is a combination of pre dropping but at the correct distance to target, which will vary between CVs and even the target ship type.

With any ship in this game, it is often a mistake to jump right to a premium ship as new player to that class.  There is usually more going on than meets the eye right away in terms of mechanics, and the lower tiers will teach you that.

That doesn't mean your money was wasted, you can still learn CVs and you can learn the quirks of the GZ, just fine.

[A-D-F]
8,319 posts

As a side note, if you haven't noticed, a fun aspect if the GZ is strangely, her secondaries.  They are the best in the business in the world of CVs.  They have a very long range and are deadly accurate.  I have had a good number of seemingly unaware DDs make too close torp runs on her, only to turn tail and run for their lives, usually on fire.

It doesn't happen all that often but, if one gets in too close, her secondaries stand a pretty of chance of sending them to the bottom.

Right now I actually have mine specced for secondaries.  This is a bad idea for randoms but it's hilarious in coop.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

She wasn't a mistake if you like CVs.  I own all the CV line ships and all the premiums.  With that as a reference, I enjoy the GZ.  She has some neat features.

You just have to learn to be careful with her and not put her planes in a position that will exploit their weaknesses.

You cannot dodge mid or close range AA.  It is a damage over time mechanic that works on "ticks".  The longer you are in it, the more damage you will take.  The GZ combats this mechanic and her weak planes, with speed.  Saving your boost and knowing when to manually fly the planes out of the AA vs, "f", makes a big difference.

You CAN dodge a lot of the AA flak (the black clouds), but it does take a bit of practice.  The flak is what is REALLY deadly.

You can also predrop to get your squad size down, so as not to take damage over a the full squad, if you know you are going into a big ball of stacked up AA.

You can also learn to use the immune window, and time your drops based on distance to the target, to minimize your time in the DOT AA.  This is a combination of pre dropping but at the correct distance to target, which will vary between CVs and even the target ship type.

With any ship in this game, it is often a mistake to jump right to a premium ship as new player to that class.  There is usually more going on than meets the eye right away in terms of mechanics, and the lower tiers will teach you that.

That doesn't mean your money was wasted, you can still learn CVs and you can learn the quirks of the GZ, just fine.

I have no idea what you're talking about honestly. Like I know the flak part you can dodge, but going up against Alaska, Des MOines and Baltimores and worchestres... every time.... I can never get close before I am shredded out of the sky.

[A-D-F]
8,319 posts
4 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about honestly. Like I know the flak part you can dodge, but going up against Alaska, Des MOines and Baltimores and worchestres... every time.... I can never get close before I am shredded out of the sky.

This is why I advised to put her away for a while and start at the beginning.  The AA is less brutal in the lower tiers and things are less complicated.  The lower tiers will teach you how to CV.

There are also a whole bunch of youtube videos you can watch that will explain the mechanics of what is happening and how things work.  I would advise taking some time to watch them.

A premium ship, of any class, will not make you any better at the game.  For the most part (there are some exceptions), premium ships are not "better".   In fact, there are a few of the free line ship CVs that are generally considered better than some of the T8 premiums.

Knowledge and experience though, is the thing that will make you better and hence, the game more fun.

Beta Testers
555 posts
65 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

This is why I advised to put her away for a while and start at the beginning.  The AA is less brutal in the lower tiers and things are less complicated.  The lower tiers will teach you how to CV.

There are also a whole bunch of youtube videos you can watch that will explain the mechanics of what is happening and how things work.  I would advise taking some time to watch them.

A premium ship, of any class, will not make you any better at the game.  For the most part, premium ships are not "better".   In fact there are a few of the free line ship CVs that are generally considered better than some of the T8 premiums.

Knowledge and experience though, is the thing that will make you better and hence, the game more fun.

I have to disagree with you. If things are 'easier' in the lower tiers, they will not prepare you for the difference in the higher tiers. AA is alot more brutal in higher tiers, which is not the same as it is for lower tiers, so the playstyle is different

[A-D-F]
8,319 posts
1 minute ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

I have to disagree with you. If things are 'easier' in the lower tiers, they will not prepare you for the difference in the higher tiers. AA is alot more brutal in higher tiers, which is not the same as it is for lower tiers, so the playstyle is different

OK.

I wish you luck and congrats on your purchase.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,377 posts
9,655 battles
13 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

It's like learning to long jump over a big pit full of sewage.

Sure, you can learn by simply continually throwing yourself across, until you finally make it. And if you like continually smelling like sewage, that's probably the method for you.

I would think it preferable to learn by marking out a distance in the sand, that you know you can make, and then gradually increase the distance.

That way, as you learn from failures, you don't smell like sewage.

And in this game, when the CV driver smells like sewage, his whole team has to put up with it.

Things are "easier" in the lower tiers, (though not that much, a newbie in a Ranger attacking a Baltimore is just as likely to get wiped as you attacking a Worcester in GZ) so set yourself goals to make it harder, while saving yourself frustration. For example, try playing a T6 CV in T8 matches, and see if you can avoid launching any less than full-strength squadrons by the end of the match, while doing at least the average damage for the ship.

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles
14 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

As someone else that just returned to the game, just picked up carriers for the first time ever, and just moved from tier 4 to 6 - shelve that premium, and grind a line up from 4. Sure, the skies are stupid crowded by comparison (how many times have I taken an AA oriented CL to tier 6 and seen only empty skies?) - but tier 4 carrier play is where you get to uses multiple flights out of your squadron, and your planes replenish fast enough to cover all but the most onerous of squadron wipes. At tier 6, my aircraft armament is much more potent, pound for pound, but like you said, you struggle to find openings. 

Playing a CV at tier 6 has changed my behaviour in other surface ships, for sure - I now announce in chat when I notice my HE volleys stripping AA from a target. There should be a hotkey specifically for that :p