You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeadIyArT

Drake what POS

33 comments in this topic

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
670 posts
12,633 battles

well i am not impressed with this ship at all. i have seen better t7 CA ships have better shell performance .  There HE fire chance is questionable half the time.  There AP why even bother to put it on the ship in the first place 100 cal on the Dearing has better pen this 243 gun.  How did this ship get out of the testing phase like this was there lots of drugs and alcohol the final saying?   I would highly recommend to free xp fast this dud.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 2

Members
10,739 posts
18,462 battles

7 battles isn't really enough battles to rate a ship, it seems that you have been with fairly poor teams looking at your WR in the Drake, but your damage and plane kills are high on average.

• Cool 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
670 posts
12,633 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

7 battles isn't really enough battles to rate a ship, it seems that you have been with fairly poor teams looking at your WR in the Drake, but your damage and plane kills are high on average.

its not the amount of battle its the ship performance that i really hate. it does not preforming at a t9 level. i get it has slow traveling shells, i get it has long reload, but it lack of Ap pen its lack of damage from HE damage and Pen does not fit the gun cal. I was having better HE damage in the t8.

[PSP]
Members
564 posts
5,040 battles

Interesting. First game I've seen with a Drake in Coop, our player said he had 9 citadel hits with it and he was predicting WoW will nerf it into the ground because it wasn't Russian.

• Confused 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,584 battles

I'm debating on moving into Drake ( have Albemarle) or continuing to Minatour ( have Edinburgh). Or just get Alaska ? Or forget cruisers and get Georgia or?

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,584 battles

Played several battles against Drake and Goliath, think I'm going to pass on them. They are great at being targets, easy cits using PR and AP. And their AP and HE does little damage other than HE starting fires. I think Goliath averaged less than 500 HP per shell hit on me. Maybe they do ok when top tier with a lot of two tier lower ships in the game?

• Cool 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,584 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, MichiganEagle said:

Interesting. First game I've seen with a Drake in Coop, our player said he had 9 citadel hits with it and he was predicting WoW will nerf it into the ground because it wasn't Russian.

Against what? Tier 7 CL? 

0 posts
On 2/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, Frigate007 said:

I'm debating on moving into Drake ( have Albemarle) or continuing to Minatour ( have Edinburgh). Or just get Alaska ? Or forget cruisers and get Georgia or?

the light cruiser line (Edinburgh, Neptune and Minotaur) are more fun, none of them are bad ships.

[RGPLT]
Members
669 posts
17,790 battles

Good thing wg doesnt have you as a tester because your flat out wrong. Play it correctly and its a monster. All the testers I saw said it was great.

• Confused 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
670 posts
12,633 battles
9 hours ago, MackDye said:

Good thing wg doesnt have you as a tester because your flat out wrong. Play it correctly and its a monster. All the testers I saw said it was great.

I have played ever line to t10. Every line    Yes she can do well, but she is still by far one of the weaker t9. Right now i am sitting in some positive score with the Drake as i grinned her to t10, and yes did not free xp to get to t10.   FYI I was in the closed beta and i stop bother testing ship out right after that because of my work schedule.

Thing that make her really weak:

• Anemic AP for the Cal. of the gun 234
  • Crap Armour, front guns get taken out easily if the enemy player knows where to aim
  • Really Bad torp angles for holy crap i have to brawl moments compared to Goliath
  • Long floating shells not ideal for long range combat
  • HE not at special threshold to pen 50mm Armour unless IFHE spec
  • Have to spec 2x rudder shift.
  • Crappy aft turret
  • Only get three heals at max

I am glade I did grind her down and get the Goliath. The Goliath is by far better then Drake as it should be, the Drake sure was a pain to grind.

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Only one game in Drake at the moment, but it was promising - 164k damage, but a loss.  Worlds better than that dumpster fire Albemarle, by any measure.  I have heard that Drake is better than Goliath in some ways; one of which is that Drake doesn't have that 'step' in the citadel spaces, which offers enemies a lovely flat face to hit from the front/rear and blow out your machine spaces.  Lack of a spotter on Goliath is bothersome too, I would expect.

[TUB]
Members
1 post
5,048 battles

the goliath does real well the drake can do the same u just have to be careful in the drake i found that aiming the boat at the shell but at like a slight off angle helped alot its like  5-8° resistance angles it was wierd. preventive maintenance is a must on this boat along with the main armaments 1 or anti det mod. ifhe and demo expert helps alots and with flags the drakes will make ashes of other boats low and behold the toros i can say they kinda suck but if ur sneaky they do pack a nice defensive wallop. i really reccomend on both the goliath and drake that u have the artillery plotting room for the xtra range i know some may think its laughable but im tellin yah it works early damage and more bullet bounces at range and make sure u get the -7% dispersion mod nice tight impacts. may not like my stats but i found this the best way

IMG_20200217_190747738.jpg

[SKI]
Members
248 posts
49,325 battles

Another decent game in the Goliath....the Drake is almost as good, faster and more nimble...

IMHO, these are good boats folks...

GOLIATHWOW.thumb.JPG.8fa0e9ca74c8477e8c90d6b1317a27a3.JPG

[WOLF3]
Members
28,794 posts
25,049 battles
On 2/15/2020 at 4:09 PM, LoveBote said:

the light cruiser line (Edinburgh, Neptune and Minotaur) are more fun, none of them are bad ships.

RN CL Line stinks until Tier VI.  IV Danae is bad but V Emerald is a self propelled target drone for everyone to dev strike.  Gets a lot better with VI Leander and then VII Fiji is just fantastic.  Some would consider Fiji the true highlight of the line and not X Minotaur.

• Cool 1

[DWPC]
[DWPC]
Members
73 posts
23,840 battles

the light cruisers actually have the ability to DPM. The heavy's. eh... vastly overrated. Too squishy for any engagement where you have to be aggressive or are trying to handle 1 cruiser + any other ship. The reliance on fires to substantively do damage is very gimmicky. The shell velocity isn't sufficient to keep attacks up at range, and again, for the vast majority of matches, that means facing close in where the ship does not shine, at all. 

The US ships are superior if you are going to island fire, the IJN for kiting. The RN? you are a target drone. 

Sorry, I just dont see it carrying any matches if your down to the red team by a few ships. 

Edited by SPAPtasticles

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Now 18 games in with Drake, and my (still) early impression is that while not a great ship by any stretch I think it is a good ship.  I play later at night so teams can be pretty questionable; my WR is on the low side but so far am averaging 86k damage per game in Drake.  Good fire starting ability, AP is usable if you get broadsides inside of 12km.  Torpedoes are kind of meh so far.  Hit a 3/4 health Kagero with one and didn't kill it.  Post match showed it only did 7600 damage, so saturation must have kicked in.  Sucks to be me.  Ship still takes enormous chunks of damage from pretty much any angle, but she is just wiggly enough that you can bait shots into the belt and mitigate the worst of it.  The super heal gives her plenty of staying power if managed well.  Not sure she has much carry potential, but still a good bote IMO.  Roughly halfway to Goliath now, will be interested to see how much 3 extra rifles helps her DPM and overall damage.

[WOLF4]
Members
895 posts
12,330 battles

I'm 12 matches in with Drake - and I'm enjoying it very much.

It prolly took 5 or 6 matches to get the hang of it, but as a tanky, kiting HE spammer - its amongst the strongest in the game.

When I moved up to the Drake, I received Cunningham - and I dropped IFHE, and spec'ed him with demo expert - it was worth it, imho - its a heck of a fire starter. 

Guns are good - floaty enough to use some of the lower islands - but fast enough that hitting DDs within 12km is very do-able.

Anyway - different ships for different folks - I am very much looking forward to Goliath, but am enjoying the Drake grind quite a bit more than the Albemere.

Edited by ddoubletapp1

[TYR]
Beta Testers
24 posts
9,200 battles

the citadel on the heavy line really need a buff. i took less citadel on my light cruiser line then this. guns are ok but not meant to use long range and yet the tanking ability is shite due to being soooo easy to citadel, angled or not.

Members
383 posts
4,341 battles

I'm debating going down this line after I finish my grind in another line. 

From my impressions so far from fighting the RN CA line is the following:
1. "USN arc" - high, slow, bad at range against anything smaller then a BB

2. Armor is meh, but not as bad as the CL line - So its more in line with the RU cruisers, except you have to get closer? (which are mostly all pretty paper until tier 9, 10)

3. Super heal - fighting HE spammers, or low caliber cannons is no problem since you can heal it all back?

4. AP is good/bad? - I've read the AP is really good, comparable to the battlecruisers of tier 9. Whats wrong with it besides the gun dynamics (#1)

6. Citadel is exposed - Easy to get deleted when at bad angle, but then so is every other cruiser. 

I'm asking for a general idea of the line in general, there generally are very few tier 9 ships that can be considered good, since a lot are just "stepping stone" ships that make the tier 10 look more enticing. 

I have no problems playing with the arc, and like the idea of a heavy hitting, super heal, decent camo, mid range fighter, just wondering if the Drake still fits that mold, and that idea is actually what the line provides.

Members
1,803 posts
11,768 battles
19 hours ago, sargentmki said:

I'm asking for a general idea of the line in general, there generally are very few tier 9 ships that can be considered good, since a lot are just "stepping stone" ships that make the tier 10 look more enticing. 

T5: One of the worst ships in the game, hopefully the buff will make it better.

T6: Not bad. AP works for the most part and the heal is nice.

T7: Just a slightly better version of the T6. Feels weak cause of the MM.

T8: The armor is literally defective, you can not angle at all. Your only hope is to go bow in and pray the shells explode before they reach the cit. Will die instantly when flanked. AP is barely better than the T6.

T9: Has normal armor that mostly works. AP works but is nothing special. HE does good damage but slow reload and short range. Ship maneuvers like a brick.

Don't have T10 yet.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,826 posts
28,174 battles
On 2/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, SPAPtasticles said:

the light cruisers actually have the ability to DPM. The heavy's. eh... vastly overrated. Too squishy for any engagement where you have to be aggressive or are trying to handle 1 cruiser + any other ship. The reliance on fires to substantively do damage is very gimmicky. The shell velocity isn't sufficient to keep attacks up at range, and again, for the vast majority of matches, that means facing close in where the ship does not shine, at all. 

The US ships are superior if you are going to island fire, the IJN for kiting. The RN? you are a target drone. 

Sorry, I just dont see it carrying any matches if your down to the red team by a few ships. 

Sorry for the reply to a somewhat old-ish post.

SPAP, the thing with CLs vs CAs is that CLs tend to be more about the DPM while CAs tend to be more about the strong alpha.  (Yes, there are exceptions like the DM.)

And I agree that the RN CAs aren't really well suited for carrying.  Heck, I don't think that many HE spamming cruisers are well suited for carrying if they're kiting.  From my experience, HE spamming, kiting cruisers don't tend to make for good carry ships.  Oh, they can be good support ships that produce a lot of damage for their team and can help their team win games.  But on those occasions where your team needs you to step up to carry them to a win, HE spamming kiters just don't seem to have the chops to get the job done, unless perhaps they also have good AP to back up their HE.  And unfortunately, the RN CAs don't have good AP once you start climbing up into the higher tiers.  (I think that the T5 Hawkins has good AP, but a lot of that is that she's a heavy cruiser at a tier where most cruisers are CLs and have quite weak armor that the Hawkins can abuse.)