Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

LittleWhiteMouse - any "snapshot" thoughts on London for those considering a pre-review buy?

51 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
521 posts
7,844 battles

Nutshells may be the wrong measure for her assessment. I believe her chosen measurement is moose parts. I could be wrong, though.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
54 minutes ago, Jagdpanzer131 said:

What I'm worried about is the range, 13.4 is quite low for the tier. Maybe the smoke will help mitigate that.  

(Traditional) smoke + 8 inch weapons is a pretty new mix - they tried it with Exeter, and dropped the smoke last-minute because it was deemed OP. I'm just wondering if this is Exeter 2.0 bounced a tier.

Members
864 posts
5,902 battles

I swooped her and she’s pretty solid. The only other UK CA I have is the Hawkins and I find that miserable mostly due to the gun angles. London has reasonable gun angles. AA is pretty good but I’m not really kitted for AA. First game in her was a kraken with 88k damage. Nothing crazy but decent. Her alpha came in handy finishing ships late but the range is a big yikes. If you can hang close range and have spotting she’s capable.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
12 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

I swooped her and she’s pretty solid. The only other UK CA I have is the Hawkins and I find that miserable mostly due to the gun angles. London has reasonable gun angles. AA is pretty good but I’m not really kitted for AA. First game in her was a kraken with 88k damage. Nothing crazy but decent. Her alpha came in handy finishing ships late but the range is a big yikes. If you can hang close range and have spotting she’s capable.

Does she have a spotter, or is that just "it" on range?

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,161 posts

Decent 8 rifle heavy cruiser with a heal at Tier 6. Nothing bad (except the range of her guns) and nothing outstanding (except the quick healing repair party).

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,887 posts
25,120 battles

If London had anything approaching Pensacola's range while having smoke and repair party, that'd be too much.  That gun range is WG's way of reigning her in from going bonkers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,415 posts
15,872 battles

Pending LWM's obviously much more sound appraisal, let me offer this. 

I find London has consistent HE damage and useful torpedoes for its tier, definitely outclasses Aoba for gunnery. The smoke is quite good, with better duration than Leander, for example, but the range is a little underwhelming, and will cause heartache as you face T8 ships in matches. The plating is 16mm, with a largish and vulnerable citadel, which the heal somewhat mitigates, but don't treat this is an open water flamethrower, the DPM is less than stellar. The best use of the ship I have seen is to block an advance by lighter cruisers and DDs into a threatened flank. In that role it can be a surprising nuisance. 

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

I bought it. Great torps (4 per side is nothing to sneeze at for ambush-type torp loadouts, which this definitely is), good smoke, slow acceleration, accurate guns, strong AP, seems similarly tanky to other British cruisers.

gaC3ck1.png

Other than being tier 6, which some people are going to dislike no matter what, I'd definitely give this one a "good buy" label.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse
  • Cool 1

[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

(Traditional) smoke + 8 inch weapons is a pretty new mix - they tried it with Exeter, and dropped the smoke last-minute because it was deemed OP. I'm just wondering if this is Exeter 2.0 bounced a tier.

slow ship

But super fun!

I love it!

regards

JM

[WPORT]
Members
7,235 posts
12,248 battles
47 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I bought it. Great torps (4 per side is nothing to sneeze at for ambush-type torp loadouts, which this definitely is), good smoke, slow acceleration, accurate guns, strong AP, seems similarly tanky to other British cruisers.

gaC3ck1.png

Other than being tier 6, which some people are going to dislike no matter what, I'd definitely give this one a "good buy" label.

Thanks for the review.  :-)

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

is her in smoke detection range reduced or the same as other CA"s? THat was my main concern of the London is that she has such a short range, that in smoke her detection will still be super high that all the smoke does is ensure you are caught in the open with your pants down/

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,887 posts
25,120 battles
26 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

is her in smoke detection range reduced or the same as other CA"s? THat was my main concern of the London is that she has such a short range, that in smoke her detection will still be super high that all the smoke does is ensure you are caught in the open with your pants down/

It's 6.8km.

mpWxU1j.jpg

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's 6.8km.

mpWxU1j.jpg

Ehh that feels too long; that's barely less than half her base range, and close enough for lurking DD's to keep her lit up.

[PHD]
Members
1,749 posts
7,142 battles

That seems overpowered against the Aoba with it's only 6 203s and worse base detection and gun range is only 13.6. IJN power creaped again I guess.

• Boring 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
2 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

That seems overpowered against the Aoba with it's only 6 203s and worse base detection and gun range is only 13.6. IJN power creaped again I guess.

Myoko is still stronger than Surrey, so don't get too worked up (in fact, the only other Japanese cruiser outclassed by these British CAs is lowly Ibuki. The IJN is better in every other tier beginning with 5).

Frankly, Aoba was always a pretty meager tier 6 contender, and she really hasn't been competitive since ships like Graf Spee and Molotov arrived on-scene years ago.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,567 posts

That anemic gun range has me worried on even considering her, plus Tier 6 has fairly unpredictable MM spreads.  Whenever considering a premium, I weigh how well i can make it work  as bottom tier.  The anemic range and seeing radar at T8 i feel like would lead to a very  bad time.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,887 posts
25,120 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's what Exeter should have been.

Was wondering if anyone remembered that version of Exeter :Smile_popcorn:

Sign in to follow this