You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IcyThor

Gearing

20 comments in this topic

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,764 battles

Is it worth it to buy the Mark 17 torps?  It seems to me the only advantage of 16km range is to fire multiple spreads and hope to hit something. 

Icy

WoWS Community Contributors
3,466 posts
13,652 battles
5 minutes ago, IcyThor said:

Is it worth it to buy the Mark 17 torps?  It seems to me the only advantage of 16km range is to fire multiple spreads and hope to hit something. 

Icy

I will run both depending on the meta/build I need.  The option of longer ranged torps is a good thing as long as you dont shift your play to trying to torp consistently further than 8km away.

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,319 battles
11 minutes ago, IcyThor said:

Icy

I got the 16Km ones and use the torp "speed boost" Capt skill so I have 13.1km torps that go 71 kts .... it's another option. Not good enough to tell you if it's the best solution but I like it

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,061 posts
19,521 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I will run both depending on the meta/build I need.  The option of longer ranged torps is a good thing as long as you dont shift your play to trying to torp consistently further than 8km away.

Send me your detailed thoughts on the new torp Det mod for high tier torp DD matches... When your research is done of course... The patch is only 10hrs old.

WoWS Community Contributors
3,466 posts
13,652 battles
17 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Send me your detailed thoughts on the new torp Det mod for high tier torp DD matches... When your research is done of course... The patch is only 10hrs old.

That will be over the course of a few weeks of testing, but I will publish a video on it.

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Members
9,186 posts
11,779 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

This right here. Gearing also benefits heavily fro the TA captain's skill. Also, players need to be aware of the new torpedo speed increase module. Gearing is a ship to take it on. Long range, middling detection, extra fast. This pleases me.

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,764 battles
1 hour ago, Bravo4zero said:

I got the 16Km ones and use the torp "speed boost" Capt skill so I have 13.1km torps that go 71 kts .... it's another option. Not good enough to tell you if it's the best solution but I like it

I left the game after the CV rework.  Now, it seems that ships can detect torps at enough distance to avoid them.  Another buff?  I do like the idea of 71kts at 10km and less. 

[CS7]
Members
271 posts
4,601 battles
1 hour ago, Bravo4zero said:

And the reload time for the Mark 17s keep dropping.  You do need torpedo acceleration to take maximum advantage of these fish, though.  Otherwise, stick with the stock ones for the slightly faster reload.  The 16 km range is excessive and actually can be dangerous to your team if they are close to downrange when you take your shot.  I already swapped out the accuracy upgrade on my Gearing for the new slot 3 torpedo tube upgrade.  In addition to the extra 3 knot speed, it also helps offset the increased chance of your tubes being disabled which comes with the slot 6 torpedo reload upgrade, which I also recommend.  Gearing just doesn't cut it as a DD gunship.  About the only current T10 DD I feel I have a significant advantage in a gun battle with is the Shima.  Outfitting Gearing for torpedoes is the way to go.

Edited by Maddau
Added additonal content.
  • Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,856 posts
17,480 battles
1 hour ago, IcyThor said:

I do with full torpedo build. It gives you a little distance for the 10K and 12k radar. The torpedo accelerator cuts your torpedo range down some but gives them a little more velocity in the water.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,373 posts
22,212 battles
3 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I run torpedoe acceleration on the mark 17's giving a 13.2 range.

With the new modoule to boost speed, 74kts..

I do not use TAE, though.

I use SE and BFT  and CE with RPF.

This gives me a very good all arounder.

Especially with UU.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,373 posts
22,212 battles
3 hours ago, IcyThor said:

Icy

2 reasons to use Mark 17's:

Area denial and keeps you out of radar range.

Using TA and new torp modoule you will have 74kts speed with 13.2 km range.

[DONUT]
Members
476 posts
6,764 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 4:13 PM, Maddau said:

And the reload time for the Mark 17s keep dropping.  You do need torpedo acceleration to take maximum advantage of these fish, though.  Otherwise, stick with the stock ones for the slightly faster reload.  The 16 km range is excessive and actually can be dangerous to your team if they are close to downrange when you take your shot.  I already swapped out the accuracy upgrade on my Gearing for the new slot 3 torpedo tube upgrade.  In addition to the extra 3 knot speed, it also helps offset the increased chance of your tubes being disabled which comes with the slot 6 torpedo reload upgrade, which I also recommend.  Gearing just doesn't cut it as a DD gunship.  About the only current T10 DD I feel I have a significant advantage in a gun battle with is the Shima.  Outfitting Gearing for torpedoes is the way to go.

If I dont buy the Mark 17 can I still have elite status? 

[CS7]
Members
271 posts
4,601 battles
12 hours ago, IcyThor said:

If I dont buy the Mark 17 can I still have elite status? 

I believe you need to research them with XP to get elite status.  You don't need to buy them with credits or equip them.

Members
127 posts
8,847 battles

I also like the torpedo armament expertise and 13.2 range and 71 knots. 

Members
95 posts
7,100 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, IcyThor said:

Icy

Two days ago 4-5 battleships and cruisers that they would try to cap and lets just say it was like shooting fish is barrel, I landed 12 torps in two separate launches. I was never detected or engaged and was free to enjoy my coffee. I'm scoring way more torp hits with the extended range. 

Edited by Systemlord_1

Members
95 posts
7,100 battles
On 2/17/2020 at 2:17 AM, Kreigspelar said:

I also like the torpedo armament expertise and 13.2 range and 71 knots. 

How does one achieve these trop specs on the Gearing?

Members
127 posts
8,847 battles
On 5/12/2020 at 11:56 PM, Systemlord_1 said:

How does one achieve these trop specs on the Gearing?

Captain specs Torpedo Acceleration 

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

I run the longer torps and definitely feel they are worth it..... They give you the option if you don't have any close 🎯 to throw them down a direction of high traffic to maybe get a lucky hit..... I play close to caps so sometimes far away fatties need something thrown at them.... Of course I try to throw them from closer distance but if there isn't anything close I want the option... Happy hunting Captain 😎