Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_bleJN7gXeLqd

Does Hydro (consumable) and Torpedo Lookout System (upgrade) not synergize well?

10 comments in this topic

Members
324 posts

Given that there is currently a grace period that WG has given us captains in that we can dismount upgrades for FREE, I am re-arranging my upgrades on all my ships.  

Specifically, I want to ask: should ships with hydro-acoustic search consumable use the Torpedo Lookout System upgrade? 

The former guarantees detection of enemy torpedoes at a set range (like 3 km-6km ranges usually), whereas the latter makes enemy torpedoes detectable at least by 1.8 km. 

Based on these descriptions, I would think that the two do NOT synergize well with each other...but I want to know what you all think about this. 

Specifically, I want to know if I should give my KM Bismarck, Torpedo Lookout System since her concealment sucks anyway to make good use out of the Concealment Systems upgrade...but she does come with Hydro, so I am wondering whether or not to go with the Consumables upgrade instead. 

I have my Iowa on Torpedo Lookout System as well, since with her speed, she can benefit from dodging torps that are detected early, and also because Iowa's detection range is not that good either. 

What are your thoughts?  And what advice do you have for me, fellow captains? 

wows upgrades.jpg

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,161 posts

Any nation with a Captain/Admiral that has the improved vigilance skill will work extremely well with the TLS module. Some people would say running with the Hydro uptime upgrade in slot 2 with a Vigilance captain causes less of a tradeoff then giving up slot 5 for what is effectively a less powerful "always on" hydro. It gets messy when you get into ships like the German BBs that can't slot out their hydro for anything else and so will always have it on them.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,397 posts
9,655 battles

I would see it as you have the 1.8km detect to give you advance warning of surprise torps, and you can trip the hydro for extra warning distance, when you have a strong suspicion that torps could be coming.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles

Detection of enemy torps with module: 1.8km

Detection of enemy torps with module and special captain vigilance: 2.4km

Detection of enemy torps with Bisnark hydro: 3.5km

Detection of torps with Bisnark hydro and special captain vigilance: 4.7km

They synergize VERY well. With the hydro, upgrade, and the skill, you would spot any torps at a very significant distance. The issue lies in the fact that it's kinda overkill. The ideal BB wouldnt need all of that because he/she can expect torpedoes when appropriate. 

My opinion would be that the torp upgrade has its uses, but on Bismark it's not needed. You can narrow down your torpedo threats enough to be covered by your hydro. If you still struggle with torps, take vigilance. Bis needs concealment more, and ideally BoS>Vigilance.

Instead what I would be experimenting with is the upgrade that lengthens the duration of consumables (new slot 5) combined with the hydro acoustic search upgrade (slot 2). You could get a pretty mean duration on that hydro

Edited by _BBaby

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,222 posts
4,766 battles

My read: They're not intended to synergize. 

• The shorter range one is always on (TLS) - essentially self-defensive
  • The longer range one has limited duration (HAS) - good for support and area control

Members
102 posts

Well, for one thing it allows you to rely less heavily on your hydro to detect torps, which means you can save it for purposes of ship detection -- which it is no slouch at for the KM BBs. Woe betide the DD that thinks they can smoke up when vis detected by a GK.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,878 posts
25,114 battles

Old TASM1, Vigilance, and Hydro stacked also, but that was rarely done, even among the BB crowd.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Old TASM1 was also more broadly useful.

Yanking it out and force-replacing it with a straight downgrade in TLS was a low, garbage move by WG.

Members
324 posts
2 hours ago, _BBaby said:

Instead what I would be experimenting with is the upgrade that lengthens the duration of consumables (new slot 5) combined with the hydro acoustic search upgrade (slot 2). You could get a pretty mean duration on that hydro

I think that I will go for the Duration Consumable upgrade then.  Thanks _BBaby for your input!  :cap_like:

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
243 posts
6,926 battles

problem is most of ships dont have hydro oO  like ijn bb and i have no vigilance commander oO  should make every captain earning 1 special skills at 10points XD

Sign in to follow this