You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Hard choices for coal commanders

27 comments in this topic

Members
3,111 posts
12,459 battles

So now armory has 3 commanders for 175k coal each.  I could pick one of them up by forgoing T10 premium ship (Thunderer or Salem), which makes it rather costly proposition all things considered.

Which one of those commanders makes more sense?  French commander for Colbert, German commander for Hindenburg, or Russian one for Kron/Moskva (I don't play Kron much, but Moskva could prove to be popular when it becomes premium). 

Currently I am thinking T10 coal ship would be a better allocation of coal (I already have all of the T9s that were ever offered for coal).

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
5,166 battles

In terms of power the German Commander is by far the best

140 hits is extremely easy for a ship with 12 guns and good shell velocity. You get a consistent DPM boost every game, and that is massive.

The French commander is powerful but not suited for Colbert

You dont have the alpha damage for dev strikes (as you will be HE spamming most of the time)

You arent going to cap unless its the very late game (where the increased fire chance wont make much of a difference)

You arent going to be tanking anything int he Colbert

The Soviet commander is the weakest of all commanders, but you will get more use out of him on Moskva than you would with the French on Colbert

Soviet commander is far better suited for the Battleship line as consumables are valuable and the heal would actually be of significance

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,190 posts
5,624 battles

The Russian captain is pretty insane. Especially on a BB, it has been all but a free rankout pass. 

I dont find the German commanders skills of any use (though hes on a BB atm), and the French one is alright. On a Colbert you probably wont get a lot of potential dmg, and you wont be doing much capping/dev strikes either.

Edited by _BBaby

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,110 posts
11,811 battles
15 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

So now armory has 3 commanders for 175k coal each.  I could pick one of them up by forgoing T10 premium ship (Thunderer or Salem), which makes it rather costly proposition all things considered.

Which one of those commanders makes more sense?  French commander for Colbert, German commander for Hindenburg, or Russian one for Kron/Moskva (I don't play Kron much, but Moskva could prove to be popular when it becomes premium). 

Currently I am thinking T10 coal ship would be a better allocation of coal (I already have all of the T9s that were ever offered for coal).

I spent mine on the Thunderer and I’m happy with that decision it’s a good ship . I really enjoy having accurate guns on a BB it’s squishy for sure but has pretty fast heal kind of like the Massachusetts . I just couldn’t seem to pull the trigger on 175,000 coal for a commander . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
37 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I'm with you.  I'm at a cross-roads deciding between picking up Kuznetsov or Thunderer.  Leaning towards the commander rather than the ship at this point.

For the legendary commanders, the logic for ship placement seems to be the following:

• Kuznetsov - Russian battleships
  • Aboyneau - French destroyers
  • Lutjens - German cruisers
  • Yammamoto - Japanese battleships
  • Halsey - American battleships
  • Cunningham - British destroyers

Obviously, your choice and mileage may vary, but this is the impression I get based on their skills and activatable perks.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,172 posts
10,913 battles

Co-op  Lutjens in the GZ is a blast

If you really want to go sec sped on the high tier German BB, useful.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,707 posts
36,245 battles
56 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I spent mine on the Thunderer and I’m happy with that decision it’s a good ship . I really enjoy having accurate guns on a BB it’s squishy for sure but has pretty fast heal kind of like the Massachusetts . I just couldn’t seem to pull the trigger on 175,000 coal for a commander . 

Same here.

I went with Thunderer.

175k for a commander is way too expensive.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,828 posts
28,175 battles
2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Same here.

I went with Thunderer.

175k for a commander is way too expensive.

I completely agree, alexf.

I'm also not a fan of the legendary commanders.  Oh, I'm fine with the commanders being in the game.  My problem is with these really screwy strange abilities that aren't in the skills tree.  I'd much rather that all special commanders just be special because if the enhanced skills that they are assigned.  I don't like these abilities that you have to trigger by exceeding some rather high requirement.  Give me skills that are on all the time.  Or perhaps, maybe give them abilities that are on all the time, such as a small boost to gun accuracy or gun or torpedo reload time, any other number of possibilities.

• Cool 1

Members
74 posts
10,172 battles
41 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm with you.  I'm at a cross-roads deciding between picking up Kuznetsov or Thunderer.  Leaning towards the commander rather than the ship at this point.

For the legendary commanders, the logic for ship placement seems to be the following:

Obviously, your choice and mileage may vary, but this is the impression I get based on their skills and activatable perks.

I was thinking of using Cunningham on RN carriers. Seems like a good fit but I am just learning CV so I could be wrong.

[Y0L0]
Members
250 posts
22,520 battles
1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

Co-op  Lutjens in the GZ is a blast

If you really want to go sec sped on the high tier German BB, useful.

that's what I did,  makes those sec missions a breeze

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,283 posts
14,709 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

My 2 credits?

GET LUTJENS! Very good well rounded Capt... plus, in a secondary ship its a lol-boat when you hit the 100 secondary hits, but OH MAN when in a Hinden after 140 main battery hits and AR!!!

:Smile_izmena:

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,117 posts
11,056 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Lutjens is good on anything German.

Halsey is even better on heavy cruisers.

[CCF]
Members
748 posts
8,465 battles

Is it just me or does that 175K coal price seem like a pay wall to others?

At 75K maybe semi reasonable but for me 175K just seems crazy high cost.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
223 posts
11,831 battles
5 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I have captains.

I don't have Thunderer.

Abbye

Members
709 posts
72 battles
5 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I will save up for the new Pan EU guy. He seems almost OP for the SWE DDs.

[WOLF9]
Members
989 posts
21,721 battles

I got Kuznetsov and Aboyneau when they were offered initially, so my choice was between Lutjens and the Thunderer.  Since I am collecting the named cmdrs, I went Lutjens and he sits on my secondary GK (I do Coops with her).

No regrets on that choice as I now am within 20k coal again for the Thunderer.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
17 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Lutjens is good on anything German.

Halsey is even better on heavy cruisers.

I tried running Lutjens on Z-52, but man, it's pretty tough to get that heal capability activated the further along a match progresses. 

I'm finding him much more serviceable on Hindenburg.  A potential sub-seven second reload on 12 guns is no joke, and will even make Des Moines look over its shoulder at that DPM output.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,352 posts
9,649 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ace_04 said:

Halsey - American battleships

What do people think of Halsey on a CV?

I'm very close to getting him, and both NC and Lexington need commanders. (I was going to move the Ranger captain up, but he's only 13 points, and I was planning on keeping Ranger, wouldn't mind avoiding having to grind up a 3-pointer)

Edit: never mind, I didn't realise the aircraft servicing (regen?) bonus was only triggered by a Confederate.

Edited by Skpstr

[DURPX]
Members
89 posts
5,491 battles
46 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm very close to getting him, and both NC and Lexington need commanders. (I was going to move the Ranger captain up, but he's only 13 points, and I was planning on keeping Ranger, wouldn't mind avoiding having to grind up a 3-pointer)

His skill set is very much so suited for American BBs or CAs.  There is only the German and British ones that have any sort of benefit for CVs. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,172 posts
10,913 battles
16 hours ago, Rustyhole said:

No captain is worth a ship.

Some ships are not worth having.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,117 posts
11,056 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I tried running Lutjens on Z-52, but man, it's pretty tough to get that heal capability activated the further along a match progresses. 

I'm finding him much more serviceable on Hindenburg.  A potential sub-seven second reload on 12 guns is no joke, and will even make Des Moines look over its shoulder at that DPM output.

Good point. I haven't gotten him yet, but I can see how the DD ability could struggle in the current meta. I will say, though, my clan's angel of death from the sky runs him on Graf Zeppelin, and he is busted as hell on that boat. 

[YORHA]
Members
5,202 posts
10,351 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Halsey?  On a CV? 

He will keep running off and trying to sink himself.

• Funny 1