You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

So long Neustrashimy, Flint, and Black

23 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,857 posts
17,480 battles

So they are being removed as steel ships for at least 6 months. Then all three to return as coal ships. Mixed emotions about that. I just got the Black this year. I wish I would have known. I'd kept saving steel for something else. On the upshot, I am a coal miner when it comes to the three daily reward crates so I will probably pick up the Nuestrashimy sooner while saving for a different steel ship. Wonder if new steel ships are going to be introduced? Maybe the return of the Benham?

steel ships.png

• Cool 1

[HOT]
Members
269 posts
8,294 battles

what a waste of steel just bought the black 1 week before the announcement 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
25 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

So they are being removed as steel ships for at least 6 months. Then all three to return as coal ships. Mixed emotions about that. I just got the Black this year. I wish I would have known. I'd kept saving steel for something else. On the upshot, I am a coal miner when it comes to the three daily reward crates so I will probably pick up the Nuestrashimy sooner while saving for a different steel ship. 

Don't underestimate Neustrashimy in competitive next time T9 Ranked comes around.

7 minutes ago, Skyspartan said:

Ouch.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles
3 minutes ago, Skyspartan said:

No matter when they announced it, someone would be in this scenario unfortunately.  Downside of changing currencies. You'd think they could do something but I doubt it.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,857 posts
17,480 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Don't underestimate Neustrashimy in competitive next time T9 Ranked comes around.

Yep, my sentiments exactly. In the past T9 ranked the only T9 DD I had was the Fletcher. I felt like I was left on the outside looking in being bullied away from the caps with the ships that had radar, hydro, heal, and pure gun boat powa. Fletcher kicked butt in random and divisions. Solo cap contesting I was like GAH!  Picked up the Benham and almost the same thing. Picked up the Black for steel and was like we'll try it again next time it rolls around.

I'm just a average player that works nights so, not much steel in ranked, not much steel in CB due to work schedule. So again, steel is a rare commodity for me

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[REVY]
Members
2,580 posts
13,901 battles
45 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

So they are being removed as steel ships for at least 6 months. Then all three to return as coal ships. Mixed emotions about that. I just got the Black this year. I wish I would have known. I'd kept saving steel for something else.

27 minutes ago, Skyspartan said:

Yeah

I was on the fence about getting the Flint or saving the steel for something else (as I had to earn more to get anything else)

Finally caved in and got it with the coupon.

Now a month later this.

Ugh.

[ANKER]
Members
1,421 posts
11,492 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Yeah

I was on the fence about getting the Flint or saving the steel for something else (as I had to earn more to get anything else)

Finally caved in and got it with the coupon.

Now a month later this.

Ugh.

Almost exactly same deal here.  If I had known, I would have kept saving for Stalingrad.  Not that I don't enjoy Flint, but it's value will go down a lot once it's available for Coal later this year.  Also, the coming IFHE changes do not bode well for this ship or Atlanta.....AND now that they took Narai away I will be using the ship much less now.

If WG would refund the Steel, I"d do it in a heartbeat and forget that I wasted a coupon.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'm still going to try to get the 200 Steel I need for Flint from Ranked this patch.

Between the HE/armor rebork in the works, the insertion of "submarines" into the game, and some other upcoming problems,  have serious doubts that the game will be playable by the time Flint comes back for Coal, and I want to at least play it before that point. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,457 posts
16,322 battles

I bought the Black for steel just after Christmas, but it took almost everything I had and I doubted I would ever have saved enough for a more expensive steel ship.

I am happy to have "wasted" the steel if it means I don't have to find a couple of hundred thousand coal for her when she's re-released, and if it means the Flint and the Neustrashimy will be (much more easily) available to me in the long term.

• Cool 1

Members
95 posts
19,456 battles

The Black and Flint are two examples of ships that WG made intentionally difficult to acquire. They should remain so, for a couple of reasons:

1. The more ships that remain rare give interesting variety to PvP modes. It's always nice to see rare ships pop up in the game; it keeps game modes fresh and replayable - it's good for the game.

2. Hard-to-acquire ships are a reward for players who put forth the effort to attain them. Can you imagine if one day WG makes the Puerto Rico a coal ship, or the Ohio a coal ship? WG intentionally made certain ships more difficult to get and that inherently puts certain ships out of reach of the more casual player base. Changing this for ships because the "numbers" on a report show some prestigious ships are getting less play time is undercutting the point of why those ships exist as rare ships and why they were rolled out as hard-to-get ships in the first place. I own both of these ships but I don't play them that often because WG keeps putting out new ships that pull my attention away from my old favorites. If you want lesser played ships to be played more often, stop releasing so many new ships all time!

Don't insult the players who put forth great effort to get the Black and Flint by making them attainable to anyone who potatoes hard enough or long enough via coal missions. Steel is one of the most difficult resources to get and coal is on the absolute other end of this spectrum. Pulling a steel ship off the market for six months doesn't smooth over the fact that the effort to get a steel ship does not, in any way, have an "exchange value" equivalent to the effort required to get a coal ship. WG is undercutting the very element of exclusivity they created, intended and 'baked into' these ships to have and inherently represent by changing them to coal ships. 

If WG wants certain ships to be played more, then put reasons in the game for owners of these ships to play them, and stop dangling carrots (new ships) in our faces so much to draw us away from the old favorite ships we worked so hard to get. 

The Research Bureau is incredibly lacking choice at the moment. It seems that if WG must make ships like the Black and Flint more accessible, at least consider the Research Bureau a more practical incremental step than going straight to coal. This keeps them at the upper end of the exclusivity range where they were intended to be. I don't want steel ships to be offered for different currencies, but this is a more tempered solution than throwing a steel ship into the coal gutter of ship options for casual players to have.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,457 posts
16,322 battles
54 minutes ago, StormSurgeAlpha said:

WG is undercutting the very element of exclusivity they created, intended and 'baked into' these ships to have and inherently represent by changing them to coal ships. 

Did you perchance also rage and scream when these ships stopped being ranked reward ships and were instead given out for steel that could be earned in game? Just wondering. 

Also, putting Black and Flint into the Research Bureau is hardly making them "more accessible". I can bring ONE Tier 10 ship to Ranked and Clan Battles and win with it and take home steel, but I would need FIVE Tier 10 TECH TREE ships to bring to the research bureau, and replay a whole bunch of lines (or one line many times). 

I think you're an elitist [insult self-redacted in the interest of not being banned from these forums until the end of the universe].

[ICBM]
Beta Testers
26 posts

At least the torpedo spotting "changes" don't seem to have the ability to negatively impact current Black meta. .9 vis still makes spamming the ultra slow torpedoes a strategy. What was spent, is done. I don't think I'd take the steel  back even if they offered.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,053 posts
12,529 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 9:18 AM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Mixed emotions about that. I just got the Black this year. I wish I would have known. I'd kept saving steel for something else.

I often times feel the same way, but to be honest, 6 months isn't a pocket of chump change. We've seen WG change their minds a few times; the ships may never return.

[MCGA]
Members
101 posts
11,309 battles
On 2/12/2020 at 6:37 AM, Ace_04 said:

Ouch.

LOL. As if there is ever going to be anything other than T10 ranked. They are too greedy to allow players that haven't maxed out lines to play in ranked.

[WOSDS]
[WOSDS]
Members
114 posts
14,757 battles

Same here just got the Black......:( Wish they had announced a little earlier as it took me ages to get the steel built up to be able to purchase it.

[ANKER]
Members
1,421 posts
11,492 battles
On 2/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did you perchance also rage and scream when these ships stopped being ranked reward ships and were instead given out for steel that could be earned in game? Just wondering. 

Also, putting Black and Flint into the Research Bureau is hardly making them "more accessible". I can bring ONE Tier 10 ship to Ranked and Clan Battles and win with it and take home steel, but I would need FIVE Tier 10 TECH TREE ships to bring to the research bureau, and replay a whole bunch of lines (or one line many times). 

I think you're an elitist [insult self-redacted in the interest of not being banned from these forums until the end of the universe].

Thought they said will be available as coal?  Anyway, the stated purpose was to make the ships more available, which is all fine and good, but still stinks for those that just bought.  It's really no different than buying a TV and coming back a short time later to see it being sold for half off. Reputable companies often give price guarantees to keep customers from being upset about such things.

[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
On 2/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I nearly bought the Flint. NEARLY!   Now I can save another 8k steel from ranked battles and get the Brokengrad. 

I did..

best ship I ever bought, it’s a dream...

I have 352 ships and it’s now my favourite Cruiser..

regards

jean

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Ditto flushed 18 months of steel accumulation for Black a few weeks ago. I like the ship a lot but not real happy with them turning it into a far easier to purchase coal boat. 

Neustra makes sense given that nobody wants it but Black and Flint are kind of lame. So non-clans wars regulars basically get to live in fear of spending their extremely hard to earn steel from now on.

Edited by ksix