Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Regular 6 month reminder that Roma and Gascogne are unacceptable trash.

76 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6,097
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

But, you know, don't fix them or anything - release more unnecessary Russian garbage. Meanwhile, the most beautiful warship in history and a French BB that should AT LEAST be as good (har har) as Richelieu continue to rot in my port. Because, you know, it's only acceptable to have chronic, unit-ruining flaws if you're not flying the hammer and sickle.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse
  • Cool 19
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,421
Members
3,111 posts
12,459 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

But, you know, don't fix them or anything - release more unnecessary Russian garbage. Meanwhile, the most beautiful warship in history and a French BB that should AT LEAST be as good (har har) as Richelieu continue to rot in my port. Because, you know, it's only acceptable to have chronic, unit-ruining flaws if you're not flying the hammer and sickle.

D2562872-60BE-4F69-8753-5B7FDBEBF454.gif.25a1971607a9a7e13b95f1fa54a5f2da.gif

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts

The normal suspects are here to argue something so plainly obvious, I see.  

Okay.

Don't like Repulse's opinion?  That's also okay.  Just be willing to provide facts that support this.  Oh, what's that?  You want to show that Roma is okay statistically?  Okay, now reason with me why I would take her against the many other very competitive T8 BBs.  Yeah, this is where that argument falls apart.

Business6, a CC that really should get more attention (fanboying aside) truly did put it the best when talking about Roma, in a hilarious but depressingly true way.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,710
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,317 posts
5,802 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

But, you know, don't fix them or anything - release more unnecessary Russian garbage. Meanwhile, the most beautiful warship in history and a French BB that should AT LEAST be as good (har har) as Richelieu continue to rot in my port. Because, you know, it's only acceptable to have chronic, unit-ruining flaws if you're not flying the hammer and sickle.

If Roma is trash why does it perform above average?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

If Roma is trash why does it perform above average?

Oh, this is easy.  Because only those who truly are willing to put up with her flaws own her, or simply love her for her history enough.  

This is such a silly and pathetic reason to fall back onto.  Unicum players can and have demonstrated over and over and over again, across videoes, live streams, testimonies, etc. that any ship can be good in the right hands.  Even if its absolute junk.  Is the fact they can make all the worst ships in the game and make them perform well above average an indicator that ships like Krispy Kreme are OP?  

Nope.  

The masses have heard the opinion on Roma, and stayed away.  But hey, I know this reasoning no matter how perfect it is you'll not listen to.  In any case, I'd rather take any of the CC's opinions over yours or the usual potatoes who speak here in favor that Roma is "above average".

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70
Members
159 posts
3,746 battles
9 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

If Roma is trash why does it perform above average?

Probably because only the very best play it.
 

I see this time and time again for the most absolute trash ships. People saying its fine because the stats are fine. 

Edited by Pyun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,710
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,317 posts
5,802 battles
2 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Oh, this is easy.  Because only those who truly are willing to put up with her flaws own her, or simply love her for her history enough.  

This is such a silly and pathetic reason to fall back onto.  Unicum players can and have demonstrated over and over and over again, across videoes, live streams, testimonies, etc. that any ship can be good in the right hands.  Even if its absolute junk.  Is the fact they can make all the worst ships in the game and make them perform well above average an indicator that ships like Krispy Kreme are OP?  

Nope.  

The masses have heard the opinion on Roma, and stayed away.  But hey, I know this reasoning no matter how perfect it is you'll not listen to.  In any case, I'd rather take any of the CC's opinions over yours or the usual potatoes who speak here in favor that Roma is "above average".

 

1 minute ago, Pyun said:

Probably because only the very best play it.

Surely you have supporting evidence. /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts
2 minutes ago, Pyun said:

Probably because only the very best play it.
 

I see this time and time again for the most absolute trash ships. People saying its fine because the stats are fine. 

Thank you for being smarter than the average potato here, seriously.

I mean this is EXACTLY WHY FALLING ONTO SPREADSHEETS IS A MEME.

Going off of paper stats, that's why all the good players made that meme.  Its literally the same thing, and yet they'll never get it... i'm not sure if i should cry that this level of ignorance exists, or laugh.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

 

Surely you have supporting evidence. /s

Surely you can refute why good players can make bad ships work and look at their stats, right?  /s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,097
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

 

Surely you have supporting evidence. /s

Well, let me put it this way: I trust Flambass more than pretty much any CC. He had a good game in the thing, and - even as his followers prodded him to endorse Roma - refused to acknowledge that it was anything other than below-average swill:

Roma is a chore - she's bad or underperforming in pretty much every statistic other than speed, and her guns are unreliable slot machines. Stacked up against a boat like Vladivostok, or even, say, North Carolina (not even including something like Massachusetts), she's junk. Gascogne is only slightly better because the latter at least has decent secondaries. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70
Members
159 posts
3,746 battles
13 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

 

Surely you have supporting evidence. /s

Absolutely. See attached vid.

 

Edited by Pyun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
494
[NMKJT]
Members
2,822 posts
8,067 battles

I wouldn't go so far as to say Roma is trash, that's Kii's job: to be trash without redemption. But Roma does need some help. Good luck with that though! What's truly sad is how she's still the most expensive T8 premium BB to buy, but WG won't buff her despite all the negative press attached to her price tag.

32 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Oh, this is easy.  Because only those who truly are willing to put up with her flaws own her, or simply love her for her history enough.  

Like me. Remember that battle. :^)

Edited by MnemonScarlet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts
3 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Roma is trash, that's Kii's job: to be trash without redemption. But Roma does need some help. Good luck with that though! What's truly sad is how she's still the most expensive T8 premium BB to buy.

Like me. Remember that battle. :^)

She's not trash in the sense that she's a worthless ship, but her experience in playing her?  I'd argue you'd not find a more trash experience amongst battleships.  Gascogne funnily enough, is the only right answer I'd say.

or things like Izumo A hull, things that don't even exist anymore lol.

Oh, I remember good and well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,097
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
24 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say Roma is trash, that's Kii's job: to be trash without redemption. But Roma does need some help. Good luck with that though! What's truly sad is how she's still the most expensive T8 premium BB to buy, but WG won't buff her despite all the negative press attached to her price tag.

Like me. Remember that battle. :^)

I haven't played my Kii since before the torps had their range buffed. Isn't she just kind of a soggy Amagi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36
[PONL]
Members
46 posts
4,850 battles

Gascogne is actually a great and criminally underrated ship. Consistent guns with good ballistics, speed for controlling engagements and fast repositioning is not a quality to be underestimated, and the armor is much less of an issue than it looks like. To see this, just compare to NC... you trade a small amount of central deck armor (which is negligible since both ships have enormous superstructures) and in return, you gain turtleback. And an improved heal that reloads twice as fast.

So you could actually make an argument that the Gascogne is tankier than the NC. But we never hear anybody complaining about NC's armor, do we? HE spammers hurt just as hard, yes, but Gascogne can get out of a sticky situation faster and have an easier time striking back with the great ballistics.

Gascogne is only really bad when compared to vladibiasstock. But russian BBs make everything else look bad. So not really a fair comparison.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
494
[NMKJT]
Members
2,822 posts
8,067 battles
49 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I haven't played my Kii since before the torps had their range buffed. Isn't she just kind of a soggy Amagi?

One of her armor decks got buffed (I forget the specifics of it, but it gave her a bad weakness before that), but her guns still have the same lamentable accuracy....which is at the level of being worse than both Roma and Gascogne's. I guess it has 27mm overmatch going for it?

It's kind of sad cause I really wanted the T8 IJN BB premium to be at least decent. They probably won't get another one.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,728
[PVE]
Members
12,887 posts
26,955 battles

Roma is just about unplayable for me it is so frustrating due to the terrible inconsistency and performance of the guns. You can not rely on them to hit even if aimed properly nor can you rely on them doing proper damage if you do hit the "I hit something with Roma" lottery; just overpens. I really, really, tried to like it and have 90+ games in it before just walking away and leaving it in port. I don't enjoy it because of the guns. They suck even against bots in Co-op!

While it isn't last for average damage and high damage of the T8 BB's (for me - got all tech and premium) it is in the bottom portion for both and it is NOT fun to play. I honestly am surprised it is not last in both stats. Sure feels that way (btw Gascogne is quite high on the list in both - WAY better than Roma).

All Roma really needs is to have that unreliable, god-awful, terrible, inconsistent, and :etc_swear: accuracy buffed. And maybe shorten the fuse a hair on the AP so you don't get nothing but overpens 99% of the time. Roma has very little going for it and it is NOT enough as it has just no offense.

  • Good speed
  • Turrets rotate fast
  • Good concealment
  • Can tank when angled properly (one of the easiest to one shot if side is shown though)

That is IT! How does this justify such awful guns seeing as it has crap secondary guns, crap AA, and no torps? The only thing it has are the main guns and they can't be relied on.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,222
[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,745 battles
5 hours ago, Pyun said:

Probably because only the very best play it.
 

I see this time and time again for the most absolute trash ships. People saying its fine because the stats are fine. 

The skill ceiling is high, so when you finally figure out how to play Roma, the criticisms dwindle.  

Gascogne on the other hand, is just terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185
[B_Y_F]
Members
617 posts
14,740 battles
3 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

One of her armor decks got buffed (I forget the specifics of it, but it gave her a bad weakness before that), but her guns still have the same lamentable accuracy....which is at the level of being worse than both Roma and Gascogne's. I guess it has 27mm overmatch going for it?

It's kind of sad cause I really wanted the T8 IJN BB premium to be at least decent. They probably won't get another one.

Maybe you should pick her up after the buff and play some games in this CV heavy mata?

I just got her in a Christmas container and she feels really good in this CV meta. Those AA are good and the torpedos with good angel are really useful to surprise DD and BB. Guns are little bit unreliable but at least they have good AP and HE shells.(especially HE, someone eat a tropedo? burn him down! I don't care your angle)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
894
[REVY]
Members
2,565 posts
13,838 battles

Pretty sure that LWM covered all the Cons of these two ships when they first came out

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56
[PMWC1]
Members
210 posts
6,878 battles

I’ll really like the Roma.  It’s my most played ship as I go to it when I need citadels, dev strikes, or credits.

The AA, secondaries, and accuracy are all bad though.  It should get at least the same buff as KM battleships.
 

I played Lenin after getting it in a Santa crate.  The difference was obvious the first time I fired a salvo of Stalin guided shells.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×