Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wstugamd

New Upgrade Modules

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

277
[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,237 battles

Almost all dds would benifit from torp mod 1 in slot 3. Dds don’t really benefit from from aiming mod as dispersion is small except from improved torp traverse speed but torp 1 seems better. Khab probably better with aa mod. Kleb aim mod. Daring aa mod or torp mod. Haru aa, aiming, torp mod. Any other thoughts?

main bat 2. Now that the reload penalty is gone I’m thinking the entire IJN cruiser fleet would really benefit over aiming mod. USN bbs outside the secondary bbs would too. Any others? Thoughts?

cv torp mod? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,417
[RLGN]
Members
15,178 posts
26,825 battles
9 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

We will just have to see. Once they go live I will be tuning up all my DDs. And maybe some cruisers.

Or just be removing the modules from most or all of my ships again like I did the last time there was a free respec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,664 posts
42,480 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or just be removing the modules from most or all of my ships again like I did the last time there was a free respec.

Yes, removal is key. Then you see what combinations would work.

I often swap out when it's free and try for something more optimized.

I got so many destroyers, I could take a whole day doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,797
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,366 posts
22,188 battles

200 ships to go through.....

FML.

Captain builds may change due to new mods.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
509
[KERMT]
Members
1,072 posts
14,529 battles
1 hour ago, wstugamd said:

Almost all dds would benifit from torp mod 1 in slot 3. Dds don’t really benefit from from aiming mod as dispersion is small except from improved torp traverse speed but torp 1 seems better. Khab probably better with aa mod. Kleb aim mod. Daring aa mod or torp mod. Haru aa, aiming, torp mod. Any other thoughts?

main bat 2. Now that the reload penalty is gone I’m thinking the entire IJN cruiser fleet would really benefit over aiming mod. USN bbs outside the secondary bbs would too. Any others? Thoughts?

cv torp mod? 

I am looking forward to this patch, so many new things to play with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
277
[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,237 battles
7 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

200 ships to go through.....

FML.

Captain builds may change due to new mods.

 

251 but who is counting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,244
[ARGSY]
Members
22,397 posts
16,275 battles
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Captain builds may change due to new mods.

I suspect that when/if the IFHE changes go through, they will be offering a global free re-spec (maybe even reassignment) so we can get this sorted out, particularly with regard to the choice between IFHE, DE or both together. For some ships, 50% fire chance reduction is only a few percent that DE and flags would recover, for others not so much, and it will be very much an individual choice as to how those priorities are assigned.

For now it looks as if British high-tier destroyers will be the biggest winners. IFHE will not be so much an essential thing, and they can drop it for RPF or some other combination of skills that adds to 4 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[KAPPA]
Members
1,384 posts
7,948 battles

Well, I just completed the process of sorting through all of ships on both accounts and seeing what needed these new upgrades switched around. Disclaimer, I run co-op and ops, so my choices may not be the best for randoms, especially with the presumed popularity of that torp spotting module. Pretty much all of my DDs got the torp speed upgrade (plus that 40% buff to survivability of the tubes), all non-IJN CVs (except GZ and Indomitable) are definitely getting their torp speed upgrade and even the IJN CVs are at least trying it (GZ stays secondaries for the laughs and Indomitable obviously lacks torps).

Very few ships that previously were all-in on AA still have that first AA upgrade, I think they gutted it too heavily. A quick look over of the numbers shows that most ships will only get a paltry 2 seconds of sector AA prep-time shaved off, and even the BBs which see the biggest benefit get 3 seconds shaved off at best. I really don't see that being worth trading away some of the other choices in that slot anymore, so only a handful of my AA BBs have retained that upgrade for testing purposes. Where the loss of the former AA upgrade will really be felt in my opinion, is the mid- and low-tier AA cruisers. Granted, most people don't have much faith in the flak bursts, but I've seen them do good work, even against players (1v1 ranked with a secondaries/AA Mass was a blast) and the more clouds you can throw, the more chances you have to hit something with them, much like shotgun pellets. Many of my mid and low tier AA ships have had their flak output cut in half as a result of the change. Yeah, they weren't throwing many in the first place, but now some of them are down to 2 bursts, which even I think isn't going to do much good. I though general consensus was that low tiers are having a CV overpopulation problem (even from many of us CV drivers' perspectives), so why further hobble the few low tier AA ships? 

The flipside of this, which I also find mind-boggling, is that only T9 and T10 ships can increase the number of flak bursts they throw, and many of them were already throwing 8-12 in some cases (off the top of my head, might be a bit high with the 12). I don't know that they really needed to retain the +2 flak bursts while lower tiers had it removed. If anything, lower tiers (7-4) should get an exclusive upgrade that gives them +2 or possibly +3 bursts to help counter-act the lack of continuous damage that they can put out. On the other hand, my German BBs with their secondary builds are basically now also AA monsters (which they kind of were before, but even more so now).

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
3 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Well, I just completed the process of sorting through all of ships on both accounts and seeing what needed these new upgrades switched around. Disclaimer, I run co-op and ops, so my choices may not be the best for randoms, especially with the presumed popularity of that torp spotting module. Pretty much all of my DDs got the torp speed upgrade (plus that 40% buff to survivability of the tubes), all non-IJN CVs (except GZ and Indomitable) are definitely getting their torp speed upgrade and even the IJN CVs are at least trying it (GZ stays secondaries for the laughs and Indomitable obviously lacks torps).

Very few ships that previously were all-in on AA still have that first AA upgrade, I think they gutted it too heavily. A quick look over of the numbers shows that most ships will only get a paltry 2 seconds of sector AA prep-time shaved off, and even the BBs which see the biggest benefit get 3 seconds shaved off at best. I really don't see that being worth trading away some of the other choices in that slot anymore, so only a handful of my AA BBs have retained that upgrade for testing purposes. Where the loss of the former AA upgrade will really be felt in my opinion, is the mid- and low-tier AA cruisers. Granted, most people don't have much faith in the flak bursts, but I've seen them do good work, even against players (1v1 ranked with a secondaries/AA Mass was a blast) and the more clouds you can throw, the more chances you have to hit something with them, much like shotgun pellets. Many of my mid and low tier AA ships have had their flak output cut in half as a result of the change. Yeah, they weren't throwing many in the first place, but now some of them are down to 2 bursts, which even I think isn't going to do much good. I though general consensus was that low tiers are having a CV overpopulation problem (even from many of us CV drivers' perspectives), so why further hobble the few low tier AA ships? 

The flipside of this, which I also find mind-boggling, is that only T9 and T10 ships can increase the number of flak bursts they throw, and many of them were already throwing 8-12 in some cases (off the top of my head, might be a bit high with the 12). I don't know that they really needed to retain the +2 flak bursts while lower tiers had it removed. If anything, lower tiers (7-4) should get an exclusive upgrade that gives them +2 or possibly +3 bursts to help counter-act the lack of continuous damage that they can put out. On the other hand, my German BBs with their secondary builds are basically now also AA monsters (which they kind of were before, but even more so now).

I'm still going through the DDs for the TTM1 vs the MBM2 for the traverse. In co-op, you shoot DD guns much more than in PvP, so I like MBM2 to buff the traverse on some of my DDs.

I noticed the AAM1 nerf when they first released the changes. I removed ALL my AAM1s as the 8s over 10s and 12s over 15s for the priority sector were not enough to me. I would rather use any of the other mods in slot 3 instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,100
[WOLFG]
Members
31,369 posts
9,649 battles
18 hours ago, wstugamd said:

main bat 2. Now that the reload penalty is gone I’m thinking the entire IJN cruiser fleet would really benefit over aiming mod. USN bbs outside the secondary bbs would too. Any others? Thoughts?

I was using it on Myoko/Nachi and QE already, even with the penalty.

TBH, I don't recall any ships I have where the traverse is an issue, (all my BBs, and many other ships, have EM) except maybe Yorck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I was using it on Myoko/Nachi and QE already, even with the penalty.

TBH, I don't recall any ships I have where the traverse is an issue, (all my BBs, and many other ships, have EM) except maybe Yorck.

I used MBM1 on almost all my IJN cruisers to get that little extra turn on the slow guns. I also use it on a lot of IJN DDs as they evidently manually picked up the guns to train them around. Now, I'm going over the IJN DDs to see if I want to swap MBM1 for TTM1 on the ones that have MBM1. You shoot DDs guns more in co-op than in PvP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,100
[WOLFG]
Members
31,369 posts
9,649 battles
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I used MBM1 on almost all my IJN cruisers to get that little extra turn on the slow guns. I also use it on a lot of IJN DDs as they evidently manually picked up the guns to train them around. Now, I'm going over the IJN DDs to see if I want to swap MBM1 for TTM1 on the ones that have MBM1. You shoot DDs guns more in co-op than in PvP.

That's probably it then. Other than Katori and Yubari, only IJN CA I have is Nachi, and only Shinonome (which I never play anymore since I got Akatsuki), Akatsuki, and Kagero (which I've only played a couple games in) for IJN DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
4,298 posts
7,106 battles

SCM1 is I think low key powerful enough to merit serious consideration on lines with strong consumable fits. It's +10% duration to every consumable your ship has, which I think includes ones for which there aren't normally bonuses to their duration. Like say MBRB. Or heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
22 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

SCM1 is I think low key powerful enough to merit serious consideration on lines with strong consumable fits. It's +10% duration to every consumable your ship has, which I think includes ones for which there aren't normally bonuses to their duration. Like say MBRB. Or heal.

You give up the Concealment modules as SCM1 and the CSM1 are both in slot 5. I could maybe see giving up the CSM1 on a BB with some number of consumables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[WOLFX]
Members
55 posts
4,108 battles
6 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Well, I just completed the process of sorting through all of ships on both accounts and seeing what needed these new upgrades switched around. Disclaimer, I run co-op and ops, so my choices may not be the best for randoms, especially with the presumed popularity of that torp spotting module. Pretty much all of my DDs got the torp speed upgrade (plus that 40% buff to survivability of the tubes), all non-IJN CVs (except GZ and Indomitable) are definitely getting their torp speed upgrade and even the IJN CVs are at least trying it (GZ stays secondaries for the laughs and Indomitable obviously lacks torps).

Very few ships that previously were all-in on AA still have that first AA upgrade, I think they gutted it too heavily. A quick look over of the numbers shows that most ships will only get a paltry 2 seconds of sector AA prep-time shaved off, and even the BBs which see the biggest benefit get 3 seconds shaved off at best. I really don't see that being worth trading away some of the other choices in that slot anymore, so only a handful of my AA BBs have retained that upgrade for testing purposes. Where the loss of the former AA upgrade will really be felt in my opinion, is the mid- and low-tier AA cruisers. Granted, most people don't have much faith in the flak bursts, but I've seen them do good work, even against players (1v1 ranked with a secondaries/AA Mass was a blast) and the more clouds you can throw, the more chances you have to hit something with them, much like shotgun pellets. Many of my mid and low tier AA ships have had their flak output cut in half as a result of the change. Yeah, they weren't throwing many in the first place, but now some of them are down to 2 bursts, which even I think isn't going to do much good. I though general consensus was that low tiers are having a CV overpopulation problem (even from many of us CV drivers' perspectives), so why further hobble the few low tier AA ships? 

The flipside of this, which I also find mind-boggling, is that only T9 and T10 ships can increase the number of flak bursts they throw, and many of them were already throwing 8-12 in some cases (off the top of my head, might be a bit high with the 12). I don't know that they really needed to retain the +2 flak bursts while lower tiers had it removed. If anything, lower tiers (7-4) should get an exclusive upgrade that gives them +2 or possibly +3 bursts to help counter-act the lack of continuous damage that they can put out. On the other hand, my German BBs with their secondary builds are basically now also AA monsters (which they kind of were before, but even more so now).

Yeah, I do miss that extra x2 flak bursts on my NC AA build for 10 flak puffs instead of 8. Now they moved it to tier IX-X ships with the new combined AAM2 mod but only when DF is active, which means mostly tier IX-X cruisers benefit from this... and Thunderer if it takes AAM2 lol.

We'll have to see how well this new AA mod works in practice, and either or not it's as bad as MFAA now, or if it's actually worth it. On paper, it doesn't really seem like it.

I would like to see Flak be useful, but I guess having it be realistic is too much. I mean, can you imagine if Neptune, Atlanta, or Smolensk fired 12+6 /14/16 flak bursts?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[AN2AC]
Members
145 posts
8,958 battles
12 hours ago, wstugamd said:

251 but who is counting 

556  ... ok just playing the [edited] game :cap_cool:

 

edit myself, not auto as above: wow didn't know you couldn't use the word for the male member ... since when was that a swear word?

Edited by Otago_F111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[KAPPA]
Members
1,384 posts
7,948 battles
5 minutes ago, SuperCustodiam said:

I mean, can you imagine if Neptune, Atlanta, or Smolensk fired 12+6 /14/16 flak bursts?!

Yeah, actually I can. It wasn't too far off that when we had the mid-range mounts throwing flak bursts as well. I seem to recall some of the USN BBs could throw something like 10 LR + 14 MR when fully kitted out. There's a very good reason that went away, not to mention that the USN 76mm/3 in. guns were the smallest bore size that a proximity fuse could be squeezed into at the time, thus why the 3 in. guns on Des Moines and others were what they were (plus they could be easily adapted from much older, otherwise obsolete 3 in. gun designs). 

Still, I think maybe some of the weaker AA ships could stand to be able to throw as many flak clouds as they have LR AA gun barrels per side. I mean, for something like Nagato, we're only talking a max of 4 bursts, same for most IJN cruisers, etc. It wouldn't be enough to make them OP in AA, but it would give them some chance of doing something useful, plus some of the lower tier ships really should have their 76mm AA guns put back into the LR category (cough, Texas, cough).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,733
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
22 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

edit myself, not auto as above: wow didn't know you couldn't use the word for the male member ... since when was that a swear word?

The language morphs around the censors.  People now are quite aware of the meaning of "richard-head".  Filter fail.

 

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[KAPPA]
Members
1,384 posts
7,948 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm still going through the DDs for the TTM1 vs the MBM2 for the traverse. In co-op, you shoot DD guns much more than in PvP, so I like MBM2 to buff the traverse on some of my DDs.

I noticed the AAM1 nerf when they first released the changes. I removed ALL my AAM1s as the 8s over 10s and 12s over 15s for the priority sector were not enough to me. I would rather use any of the other mods in slot 3 instead.

Yeah, I tend to be careful about keeping my IJN DD guns pre-aimed in the direction I want them in and living with just the EM captain skill for turret traverse, one area where my BB expertise transfers over. Before this change most of my IJN DDs were actually using the upgrade that buffed accuracy, not so much for the accuracy, but because it also made torp tubes swing around faster. It just seemed like the obvious go-to choice at the time, unless I was going for AA (Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo, B-hull Monaghan <formerly intended for Dynamo>, etc.). Now, between the torp spotting upgrade that I think is going to take over randoms for a bit, and the fact the bots have pretty much always had psychic torpedo detection anyways, anything that increases torp speed (and doesn't drop range below 7-8 KM) is going to be a good thing. I forget exactly what the numbers were but an example is that my Fujin torps are now almost on the level of Type F3s in terms of speed, that's honestly a little nuts in my mind, but I'm certainly going to give it a try and see if it works out as well as I think it might. Heck, it might even be the nudge that Yudachi needed to get her into a more useful state (I certainly hope so, I was mainly using her for Narai before, at least when I was using her, and who knows how long that's going to take).

One other thing I ended up doing that I hadn't mentioned was using one of my 3 Takao class cruisers as a testbed to see if the torp speed mod might be of use on certain torp-oriented cruisers. ARP Takao is the one doing the testing, Atago and Atago B are staying with my standard Takao class setup for now. It'll be interesting to see, as while the torp mod feels like the obvious choice for my DDs, I wasn't so sure it would be as useful on a cruiser. Of course, it may be a few days before I get around to actually playing again, as I've been enjoying my break from this game for a bit and I've had IRL things to do, stuff like finding a new job, cutting down a tree, trying to catch the idiots that think my front hill makes a great drive-by shooting range, and coming up soon- jury duty. 2020 has been an interesting ride so far for me. :Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
1 hour ago, Aetreus said:

SCM1 is I think low key powerful enough to merit serious consideration on lines with strong consumable fits. It's +10% duration to every consumable your ship has, which I think includes ones for which there aren't normally bonuses to their duration. Like say MBRB. Or heal.

Stack the special Spotter upgrade (coal) in slot 1 and the SCM1 in slot 5 and you can add 43 seconds to your spotter planes. Go from 100s to 143s of spotter time. I don't think I would do that on a cruiser though.

 

For Missouri, put the DCPM1 in slot 1, the RADAR in slot 2 and the SCM1 in slot 5. The concealment went to 15.7km from 14.1km (no CE skill), but the DCP is now at 30.8s instead of 20s. The heal runs for 30.8s instead of 20s and the RADAR is now 46.2s instead of 35s. You get a super MO. 

 

Stack the speed boost mod in slot 2 and the SCM1 in slot 5 and the Georgia gets 297s of speed boost instead of the normal 180s. Same for any ship with 180s speed boost. Ships with 120s speed boosts get 198s of boost with this combo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Yeah, I tend to be careful about keeping my IJN DD guns pre-aimed in the direction I want them in and living with just the EM captain skill for turret traverse, one area where my BB expertise transfers over. Before this change most of my IJN DDs were actually using the upgrade that buffed accuracy, not so much for the accuracy, but because it also made torp tubes swing around faster. It just seemed like the obvious go-to choice at the time, unless I was going for AA (Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo, B-hull Monaghan <formerly intended for Dynamo>, etc.). Now, between the torp spotting upgrade that I think is going to take over randoms for a bit, and the fact the bots have pretty much always had psychic torpedo detection anyways, anything that increases torp speed (and doesn't drop range below 7-8 KM) is going to be a good thing. I forget exactly what the numbers were but an example is that my Fujin torps are now almost on the level of Type F3s in terms of speed, that's honestly a little nuts in my mind, but I'm certainly going to give it a try and see if it works out as well as I think it might. Heck, it might even be the nudge that Yudachi needed to get her into a more useful state (I certainly hope so, I was mainly using her for Narai before, at least when I was using her, and who knows how long that's going to take).

One other thing I ended up doing that I hadn't mentioned was using one of my 3 Takao class cruisers as a testbed to see if the torp speed mod might be of use on certain torp-oriented cruisers. ARP Takao is the one doing the testing, Atago and Atago B are staying with my standard Takao class setup for now. It'll be interesting to see, as while the torp mod feels like the obvious choice for my DDs, I wasn't so sure it would be as useful on a cruiser. Of course, it may be a few days before I get around to actually playing again, as I've been enjoying my break from this game for a bit and I've had IRL things to do, stuff like finding a new job, cutting down a tree, trying to catch the idiots that think my front hill makes a great drive-by shooting range, and coming up soon- jury duty. 2020 has been an interesting ride so far for me. :Smile_veryhappy:

I have the Fujin and the Kamikaze, so the Fujin kept the MBM1 and the Kamikaze has the TTM1. So Fujin's torps are the base 68kts, but the Kamikaze has 71kts torps. I did the same with my Atago and Takao, with the Takao getting the TTM1.

 

I also gave ARP Nachi (Moyko clone) the TTM1. The Myoko and ARP Myoko have the MBM1. ARP Ashigara has ASM1 for less dispersion and ARP Haguro has the secondary mod because why not when you have 6 Myoko's. I put the AAM1 on S. Dragon as more why not. :Smile_teethhappy:

 

The closest I have for duplicate high tier BBs is NC and AL. So I put TLS on NC to see how that works.

 

I posted a super MO above and I may go with that too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
23 posts
7,357 battles

I really wanted to like the consumable mod... but IMO the bonus is just too small. All my ships either use concealment or steering 2 so it is a very hard sell. An average BB is only going to see 1000-1500hp extra per heal charge. The only ships I am still deciding on are the French BBs where you get the extra 27sec on the modded speed boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,661
[PVE]
Members
20,111 posts
12,951 battles
1 minute ago, Alekan said:

I really wanted to like the consumable mod... but IMO the bonus is just too small. All my ships either use concealment or steering 2 so it is a very hard sell. An average BB is only going to see 1000-1500hp extra per heal charge. The only ships I am still deciding on are the French BBs where you get the extra 27sec on the modded speed boost.

Stack the SCM1 (consumable mod) with the DCPM1 in slot 1 and the  EBM1 in slot 2. I did that on Alsace and the DCP runs for 23.1s (longer than US BB),  heal for 30.8s, fighter for 66s and speed boost for 297s!  The concelament went to 16.2km from 14.6km so you only give up 1.6km of stealth to almost double your speed boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
23 posts
7,357 battles

Thats what I mean tho. On Alsace giving up 1.6km stealth and the 5% enemy dispersion malus for +1,254HP per heal charge and +27sec speed boost is kinda meh. You need the extra boost time just to close the range or extend into stealth unless you are dancing around cover. The weakness of the brawling Alsace has always been getting caught in the open. And yes I use the boost mod on every single ship I use with speed boost. Going from 4.5-5min is a big deal so I'll try it.

For normal BBs without speed boost I just don't see the benefits outweighing the loss of concealment and especially the dispersion malus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×