You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CriMiNaL__

What I have noticed using a CV

44 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,750 posts
14,473 battles

One of the things I have noticed using a CV is that the CV should have a delay on launching its planes at the very start, now some might complain about this, but no othership starts the game with its waepons loaded, which the planes on a CV technically are its main weapons.

Auto fire/flooding control should be no different to a CA and if you are on fire or flooding that is to bad for you until you press a button.

These are simple fixes weegee could do

• Cool 6
  • Boring 9

Members
6,189 posts
7,988 battles

I believe that this request was mainly coming from CV players right after the rework went live. But apparently WG tested it internally and didn't like it, so it never got implemented.

Beta Testers
3,750 posts
14,473 battles
2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I believe that this request was mainly coming from CV players right after the rework went live. But apparently WG tested it internally and didn't like it, so it never got implemented.

WG is wrong

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,487 posts
14,823 battles

It was tested and the result was no benefit on the game. Yeah a CV can launch immediately but it takes planes time to get to their area of operation which becomes their delay.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[NH]
Members
0 posts
14 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

One of the things I have noticed using a CV is that the CV should have a delay on launching its planes at the very start, now some might complain about this, but no othership starts the game with its waepons loaded, which the planes on a CV technically are its main weapons.

Auto fire/flooding control should be no different to a CA and if you are on fire or flooding that is to bad for you until you press a button.

The flight time is the delay. Why no just stop there and not let the CV spawn in until later in the game because thats effectively what is being suggested. Without planes what is a CV doing?

• Boring 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,378 posts
13,062 battles
18 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

WG decided that players were incapable of controlling ships and planes at the same time, so CV's got automatic consumables. The compensation is, floods and fires are really short. Give CV's back the ability to control their consumables, and that would be fair. Otherwise, forget it. Not that it really matters, a CV after it's been spotted and engaged is dead shortly anyway.

The starting delay was tried. The problem is, for it to be effective, it needed to be a longer delay than WG was comfortable with. All a 30 second or even 45 second delay meant was the DD's got a little further from their AA cover. If you made the CV's wait several minutes, DD's could get near or even into the caps, but now your forcing ships to sit around doing nothing for the first 10 to 20% of the match, while still being a target.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Seems logical and have heard it suggested several times before but... this is WeeGee we are talking about sooo... logic means nothing

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,487 posts
14,823 battles
15 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

The flight time is the delay. Why no just stop there and not let the CV spawn in until later in the game because thats effectively what is being suggested. Without planes what is a CV doing?

The main result of the additional delay was they people that wouldn't stay with others in the opening moves of a CV match only got farther away from friendly ships.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,850 posts
17,429 battles
28 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

One of the things I have noticed using a CV is that the CV should have a delay on launching its planes at the very start

The idea has already been kicked around. I believe it was tested on the PTS. The issue is it would be exploited.

If you have DD's rushing to a cap at full speed. The delay in launching planes would actually turn into a trap for some DD captains. The "clear skies" could lead to a false sense of security. Lulling a DD to venture out further, alone. Then over the horizon would come the rocket attack planes picking off the strays from the safety of the herd. It's tough losing your DD's at the start of a match. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,850 posts
17,429 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

The main result of the additional delay was they people that wouldn't stay with others in the opening moves of a CV match only got farther away from friendly ships.

Beat me to it. Excellent ninja move Brush :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles

It was tried. Tested. And the CV usually had suffered ineffective protection for other players and contribution to battle was compromised.

It was also suggested a long time ago to have ships with limited ammo, but had that been done it would have hilarious results.

I can only imagine that. LOL

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,487 posts
14,823 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Beat me to it. Excellent ninja move Brush :cap_like:

giphy.gif

[55UP]
Members
407 posts
3,388 battles
53 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

but no othership starts the game with its waepons loaded

Suppose all ships started with their weapons loaded. What do you intend to do with them while you wait to encounter the red team? Until they’re spotted, your allies are the only thing to shoot. How much do you trust your teammates when they are bored and stationary?

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
51 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

One of the things I have noticed using a CV is that the CV should have a delay on launching its planes at the very start

A CV's planes are small craft launched from the main ship and not weapons per se. Does it take other ships 30 seconds to get their engines going so that they can get underway? And what would 30 seconds even accomplish? The enemy ships would still be in pretty much the same places when the aircraft finally got to them. Let's not complicate balance by concentrating on minutiae.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles

What would be hilarious is delayed detonation. Say your one of those CV players and he drops an AP bomb and not only does it citadel, but blows up the ship a full one minute later.

Now that is a fairly good delay.

And it falls under damage over time. So 3 bomb pens, 3 citadels, a minute later, explosion.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
forgot something
  • Cool 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,385 battles
6 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Why not. Lots of people complain about CVs spotting the first minutes... As less time to play means less attacks, and average battle time is 15 minutes, WG could delay take off 3 minutes.

Planes spotting range could be reduced by 50%, and detectability increased by 100%.

Buff rockets, torpedoes and bombs damage by 100%, increase speed by 30%, reduce turn radius by 25%.

@CriMiNaL__, I love your idea!!! 

WG, please fix. Should not take more than 2 weeks, no need to test. Can't wait! 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles

Yeah the delay for launch was a rather odd one. They got the idea, put it forward to a relatively positive response, let people test it for a single round... And then pulled a U-turn and decided not to go with it.

Was all of the feedback about it positive? No, but the negative was mostly just "maybe tweak the delay time a bit". As with many other things Wargaming does, we never got an explanation beyond "we didn't like the results", so it was apparently condemned by the spreadsheet.

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,868 battles
11 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Seems logical and have heard it suggested several times before but... this is WeeGee we are talking about sooo... logic means nothing

This subject is nearly a year out of date. As others pointed out, they heard what people were saying, they actually tested this idea and it didn't do anything helpful. It even sometimes made it worse for DDs by lulling them into a false sense of security. Honestly, having surface ships start with guns unloaded doesn't do anything either. It really isn't possible to spot enough to shoot in the first 30 sec. The only ones the loading delay matters for are ships with high speed and hyper long torps like Shima and Asashio who could get into position and spam torp walls into the enemy spawn area at the start before anyone could move. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,343 posts
13,470 battles
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It was tested and the result was no benefit on the game. Yeah a CV can launch immediately but it takes planes time to get to their area of operation which becomes their delay.

A Midway can find a Shima, destroy her torp tubes, if not out right sink her, before the torps are even loaded.

• Cool 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

Sounds kind of like the WG Radar excuse:

First it was, the "game engine" prevents us from making Radar and Hydro adhere to LoS Rules.

Then it was:  We "tested" making Radar adhere to LoS but it didn't work because it made Cruisers too vulnerable (aka due to the BBs you have purposefully made overpowered).

It is okay if CVs have planes available at the start, but their current design does NOT belong in a game which does not have a respawn system. You cannot have a ship which can sit unspotted with no risk to their own ship from across the map that can damage/kill other players. At the bare minimum for CVs to remain in the game they need a HEAVILY limited fuel system 

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Boring 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,010 battles
  • If I could abort an attack run, I would be happy. That won't happen of course.
  • If I could at least change my ships speed while I am flying my planes, I would be happy. That won't happen of course.
  • If I could have Gen 1 or Gen 2 Waypoints again, I would be at least be happy because I could either go straight into the invisible wall or island or I can go on full reverse in map view. That won't happen of course.

I still play good without those abilities but I could play better with them. The CV update has been here for over half-a-year, these would at least give a CV player some more options on what to do. That won't happen of course.

Edited by Vangm94

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,146 battles

Give the cvs delay of 30seconds to send planes but give planes the same speed as shells (900m/s+) yay!

Members
1,979 posts
52 battles
53 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

It really isn't possible to spot enough to shoot in the first 30 sec.

Except, ironically, when there is a CV in the match.

Making CVs the exception once again and not the rule as so many others are trying to make them out to be here.

[HINON]
Members
13,824 posts
54 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Honestly, having surface ships start with guns unloaded doesn't do anything either. It really isn't possible to spot enough to shoot in the first 30 sec. The only ones the loading delay matters for are ships with high speed and hyper long torps like Shima and Asashio who could get into position and spam torp walls into the enemy spawn area at the start before anyone could move. 

One of the main reasons is to reduce tking.