Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
callphy

deck fighter can not intercept inbound attack?

14 comments in this topic

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
243 posts
6,919 battles

feel like 100% of the time, deck fighter just chase attack squad when they done attacking... but not intercepting inbound attack?

if ur ship already spot the direction of inbound wave, why the fighter dont adjust its course in advance to intercept them... or just hover around that direction for lil bit ?

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,837 battles

It takes a second or two for the fighter to lock on, and the area it locks on in is fairly small. I think 1-2km off or something?

To get the effect you want, you'd probably need 6+km lockon range, which would be more than a bit too effective with how fighters shoot down planes 1:1. Not only that, but then CV vs CV would be quite nearly impossible by the end of many matches, and ships like Kaga would be the king of this now, and ships like Saipan and Indomitable might as well not even try, and thus would likely need fighter immunity or something just to function.

Do you want to see 20 minute matches where CVs have to spend the entire rest of it just capping? Because a CV can have around 25 ship-based fighters by T10 if memory serves, and by the end of a match 25 planes shot down will probably take 5+ minutes and cripple that CV badly, making further attacks nigh impossible.

TL;DR: CV vs CV would be nearly pointless and it would result in longer, boring matches for everyone involved.

[WOLF3]
Members
449 posts
11,268 battles

Use the catapult fighter for close range spotting around corners. That's the only value they offer. Handy if you are contesting caps or engaging around islands and don't want any supprises. I honestly miss the old cat fighters, especially the dual fighters when they could be used as a poor mans radar.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,737 posts
7,264 battles
2 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

Use the catapult fighter for close range spotting around corners. That's the only value they offer. Handy if you are contesting caps or engaging around islands and don't want any supprises. I honestly miss the old cat fighters, especially the dual fighters when they could be used as a poor mans radar.

Please keep thinking this..     Pretty much any CV besides Kaga or Enterprise  thanks you..    

[SALVO]
Members
2,681 posts
6,793 battles
33 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

It takes a second or two for the fighter to lock on, and the area it locks on in is fairly small. I think 1-2km off or something?

TL;DR: CV vs CV would be nearly pointless and it would result in longer, boring matches for everyone involved.

LoL  fighters should be buffed it would greatly enhance the experience for everyone including some CVs

1 hour ago, callphy said:

feel like 100% of the time, deck fighter just chase attack squad when they done attacking... but not intercepting inbound attack?

if ur ship already spot the direction of inbound wave, why the fighter dont adjust its course in advance to intercept them... or just hover around that direction for lil bit ?

WG locked it so fighters will only engage after a 5 second period of the enemy planes being in the "protected" air space,  so that the flying potatoes WG loves to cater too are guaranteed to get 1 strike off. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
449 posts
11,268 battles
45 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Please keep thinking this..     Pretty much any CV besides Kaga or Enterprise  thanks you..    

Not that I don't use it just the same, I have not noticed much difference.

[ARGSY]
Members
637 posts
10,283 battles

Yep, but they are useful in that they will aggressively attack aircraft that linger around for another go at you.  If I am in a big ship like a BB or CA I save them for torpedo bombers. Light CA and I tend to use them on rocket planes. But they never seem to harm any initial attack.  Not the best consumable in the game but meh, what the heck.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,317 posts
5,802 battles
7 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

Not that I don't use it just the same, I have not noticed much difference.

I'm not sure what you're expecting.  When I am in a CV and I see any fighters I turn around and go elsewhere.  If the person who launched the fighters expects kills and thinks they're worthless if he doesn't get kills, well, he is just unaware that they stopped me from attacking him or somebody close to him.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
43 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

@LittleWhiteMouse said the GZ fighter was buggy, wouldn't doubt it if CATOBARS fighters were bugged as well.

It's not that they are buggy, it's that fighters have the same speed as rockets and GZ's rockets are slow AF.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,176 posts
18,835 battles
20 hours ago, callphy said:

For the most part, fighters prevent multiple attacks follow-on attacks. They seldom engage the first strike before it delivers payload.

However, if you launch early AND the enemy times the ingress while the fighter orbit is on the attack side, sometimes figjhter will engage as the strike is unfolding.  If enemy has the leisure time to wait, they can always wait until fighter is on the far side, which pretty much guarantees it won't engage the first strike.

In short, use fighter to prevent multiple attacks...force the CV to F out.  Don't expect it to prevent the first attack.

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
243 posts
6,919 battles

i wish we could go back to the old patch with dual fighters circling on opposite side (one of the best 1point com. skill)

feels much better for spotting or intercepting compare to current one. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,681 posts
6,793 battles
6 hours ago, callphy said:

i wish we could go back to the old patch with dual fighters circling on opposite side (one of the best 1point com. skill)

feels much better for spotting or intercepting compare to current one. 

I agree the old method seems preferable to me.  Have 1 or 2 fighters more to disrupt the enemy attacks then to straight up kill them.   Then positioning mattered now with the 5 second delay..... Its like you are in a boxing match and someone holds your hands behind your back to give the opponent a free cheap shot.  By far one of the dumbest mechanics WG introduced also one of the more glaringly obvious signs that  CVs are given training wheels and a leg up by WG.  Its by far one of the most entitled classes.

Edited by eviltane

Sign in to follow this