Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

Don't mess with Le Terrible!

31 comments in this topic

Members
264 posts
9,644 battles

139mm main guns, good AP, and reload booster!

The cruiser was at 84% HP to start,  hit him with  4 + 4 =8 citadels and other hits took that to 0.    Great few seconds, I was concentrating on the BB and he just popped out in front....

Edited by brewakeg
actually had 8 citadels on the cruiser, not 4
  • Cool 1

Members
324 posts
13 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

The cruiser was at 84% HP to start,  hit him with  4 citadels and other hits took that to 0.    Great few seconds, I was concentrating on the BB and he just popped out in front....

All the tech tree French DDs are a blast.  Sirocco Tier V premium is excellent too (the only French DD that disappoints is the Tier VI premium Aigle).  I just unlocked Le Fantasque so I am excited to try her out.  I heard that she is essentially a Tier VIII version of Vauquelin (who I adore sailing!).

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,208 posts
17,147 battles

I played my Le Terrible last night with a couple friends, it sneaks into cracks/flanks of enemy team exploits it and assumes map control, helped cap C, zoom off to intercept a vaquelin near B cap, cap B then harrassed guys at A long enough for my friends to push from C. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,283 posts
11,835 battles
57 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Was my go to in 1v1 sprint

Same here. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles

Holy cr*p you eviscerated him. I can't remember getting so many cits in a battle. Very nice. They didn't even have time to announce "abandon ship."

• Cool 1

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
7 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Same here. 

Le Fantasque was mine after putzing around in the Loyang/Kaga for a bit. Was a lot of fun, although it was never a for sure game. Stuff like the Massachusetts can eat you up faster than you can get torps on them, and you needed both sets to finish the job.

Members
264 posts
9,644 battles
23 hours ago, Shenghar said:

Got any hot tips for those of us considering trying her out?

see Notser's review of it from May 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvIWUlP2uJk

I'm running the following Upgrades:

Main Arm Mod 1;  Propulsion Mod 1;  Aiming System Mod1; Propulsion Mod 2 (you don't have smoke as a consumable, so this helps a lot);  Concealment Mod 1

I have an 11 point captain with:   

PM,  SE

EL,  EM

CE

With camo, this gives me a 6.6km Detectability.

Needs?  The steering and engines get shot up too much....need to add that as I get Commander Skill points.

I usually run the Sierra Mike signal.  Flat out, with Speed Boost, can do 53.5 knots....

Again there is no smoke so you have to plan for that....I can evade a lot of incoming fire at full speed by zig zagging.     Planes are still a pain in the a$$.    AA is average or slightly below.

With the increased speed, it plays different than my Mahan, Benson, Massas, and Z23.     Nice change from the 35knot DDs.

Edited by brewakeg
max speed was 2knots too low

[WOLF9]
Members
4,667 posts

No doubt about it,  the French DD's can be BRUTAL when used to their full potential.   They're also incredibly FUN to play.

NOT so fun, though, when the skies are full of enemy planes...  Or when you try to play them like a "normal" DD- and get spanked for it, lol.  (which I see all too many players doing)  "fast gunboating" is an artform all it's own.

Punching lots and lots of citadels in things with a DD is always entertaining!   Esp when that thing is a cruiser, who by rights, should be eating your lunch.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,184 posts
11,759 battles
1 hour ago, Shenghar said:

Got any hot tips for those of us considering trying her out?

Speed is life. Getting the engine boost special upgrade for it will pay massive dividends. Stay off, not in, the caps, unless you have an open cap you can sneak in to. Try to stay more towards the flanks, as, already stated, speed is life. For you. For the red guys, speed kills. if you get to where they want to go before they do, you can throw the reds entire battle into the trash. Clan battles showed this repeatedly, at T8 and at T10 with HIV and Kleber. Holding flanks wins battles.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,547 posts
10,122 battles

Amazing ship until CV is in play, then all of your ability to be aggressive flies right out the window, just like your fun.  

But don't worry, with no AA and smoke... jUSt dODgE

Members
324 posts
2 hours ago, CaliburxZero said:

Amazing ship until CV is in play, then all of your ability to be aggressive flies right out the window, just like your fun.  

But don't worry, with no AA and smoke... jUSt dODgE

Or division up with a ally that has a light cruiser and let him shoot down all the planes for you.

[HINON]
Members
3,270 posts
27,849 battles

Loved Fantasque so much that I invested a coupon and Christmas gold to get Terrible. Tho I’m afraid to take her out on solo randoms cause she’s not a carry bote and the current random meta is carry or steam roll loss.  

[--K--]
[--K--]
2,547 posts
10,122 battles
1 hour ago, Ciryandil said:

Or division up with a ally that has a light cruiser and let him shoot down all the planes for you.

AA isn't strong enough for that anymore, they will easily hit you for 1-2 times.  Just not 3-4 with a CL with you.

Furthermore, have you even played FR DDs?  The plays they need to make no ships in the game can keep up with how they move, and a CL definitely will never be able to follow them in much less stay alive doing so trying to screen.  All you'll do in FR DDs at that point is sit back and spam like a Khaba, which has significantly less impact.

[KIA-A]
Members
934 posts
5,738 battles
On 2/11/2020 at 4:36 PM, brewakeg said:

The cruiser was at 84% HP to start,  hit him with  4 + 4 =8 citadels and other hits took that to 0.    Great few seconds, I was concentrating on the BB and he just popped out in front....

Yup, French DDs are awesome with gun-boating.

Edited by Leopard_IX

[ARGSY]
Members
613 posts
10,205 battles
7 hours ago, Ciryandil said:

All the tech tree French DDs are a blast.  Sirocco Tier V premium is excellent too (the only French DD that disappoints is the Tier VI premium Aigle).  I just unlocked Le Fantasque so I am excited to try her out.  I heard that she is essentially a Tier VIII version of Vauquelin (who I adore sailing!).

I think Fantasque is the best of the lot. Actually better than Le Terrible. Her concealment was not nerfed like the Mog and Kleber, and the extra detection on the torps are annoying but I get my hits in. She is a good multi purpose ship. Noster posted a video where he shifted the Kleber to a long range gun boat with a full fire build. It actually works very well. With a 15 k plus range and high burn rate you can just stand off and harass the heck out of all varieties of ships. At range, it is very hard for the enemy to hit back.  Have not played the Mog since the nerf but that same option is there.  And every French high tier DD can opt to YOLO if the situation calls for it.  

Members
324 posts
1 hour ago, handybilly said:

I think Fantasque is the best of the lot. Actually better than Le Terrible.

How is Le Fantasque better than Le Terrible?  I am quite curious....in fact I have been curious for a long time, since they are sister ships and Le Terrible came long before the tech tree French DDs came. 

Members
324 posts
3 hours ago, CaliburxZero said:

Furthermore, have you even played FR DDs?

I have.  And usually I use the AA cover of friendly cruisers (heavy or light) to ward off CV attacks.  Any smart CV player will not go pursuing a DD when there are strong AA cruisers nearby because they do not want to lose their squadrons and become deplaned.   I KNOW THIS because I play CVs myself. 

The trick with French DDs is that you want to duel with other destroyers and that means you need to contest cap circles (if you are in a Domination gamemode, in Capture the Base, essentially you just play the scouter), BUT you need to be ready to leave the cap circles in a moment's notice either because you spotted and being attacked by enemy cruisers, or by a CV's planes.  Your best defense is your speed.   And hopefully if you have friendly AA cruisers nearby (or battleships with very strong AA) then you can use them to make the CV think twice about attacking you. 

Edited by anonym_bleJN7gXeLqd

[--K--]
[--K--]
2,547 posts
10,122 battles
Just now, Ciryandil said:

I have.  And usually I use the AA cover of friendly cruisers (heavy or light) to ward off CV attacks.  Any smart CV player will not go pursuing a DD when there are strong AA cruisers nearby because they do not want to lose their squadrons and become deplaned.   I KNOW THIS because I play CVs myself. 

Yes, and I have too.  But you know, i'm absolutely Terrible in the ship, you can look for yourself.

That being said, then you know good and well the playstyle of LT and the entire FR DD line can't rely on friendly AA cover if it wants to use its speed to flank the enemy, and be aggressive.  Its just common sense at that point...

And hey, if u wanna sit back with your friendly cruisers and just spam HE and think that's a good use of the playstyle it allows for.... then you do you and I have nothing more to say.

Members
324 posts
Just now, CaliburxZero said:

Yes, and I have too.  But you know, i'm absolutely Terrible in the ship, you can look for yourself.

That being said, then you know good and well the playstyle of LT and the entire FR DD line can't rely on friendly AA cover if it wants to use its speed to flank the enemy, and be aggressive.  Its just common sense at that point...

And hey, if u wanna sit back with your friendly cruisers and just spam HE and think that's a good use of the playstyle it allows for.... then you do you and I have nothing more to say.

French DDs can cap circles, just as long as you are not spotted and being attacked.  If you ARE spotted AND are being attacking, then you just kite away. 

The thing is that usually players will lemming train away from a certain cap circle and/or they will go for A and C cap circles but ignore the B circle because they do not want to be in the vulnerable middle…...THAT is your opportunity to cap a circle in your French DD. 

Sign in to follow this