You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Is there Russian Bias by War Gaming?

72 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles

There has been a lot of negative chat about what WG has been doing in regard to balancing ships to each nation.  I will not voice my option but keep it to myself. However, WG is turning me an all American man into a Russian drinking Vodka troll ship player.  The only ship from the tech tree that I believe is truly sub-par is the Khabarovsk. I can't wait for the Russian CV tech line to be released. 

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,126 posts
4,766 battles

stares-in-klingon.jpg.06c2f93bae7bd00ab2f4c371fd30c6ec.jpg

Edited by iDuckman
  • Funny 2

[CVA16]
Members
5,850 posts
18,005 battles

Just based on the number of Soviet ships in game for what was a third rate navy in the time period covered you would have to answer ABSOLUTELY.

There are more Russian premiums than any other nation. There are more US premiums but the line has been around longer and a number of them are straight up copies with a different cammo.

The Russian BB line is THE BEST in the game based on multiple stats. Funny what you can do when you don't let reality constrain you.

Looks like they will now have the best cruiser line(s) too. (once again great things happen when you can abandon reality).

Their DDs are at least competitive.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
13,811 posts
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

There are more Russian premiums than any other nation.

The USN would like a word.

[SLDR]
Members
295 posts
11,490 battles

I understand WG is a Russian company doing business in Russia with a lot of Russian customers, some of whom actually spend rubles on digital ships.  And you must please your customers somehow.

Then at least keep these phony ships on the Russian server.   Players must keep to a regional server.  Then tailor your offerings based on regions.

I used to play for free.  Then started spending US$. Every year I spend more.  Now I don't plan to put in any more cash.  I'll use up my credits and doubloons.  I've used up my premium.  This Russian bias is offending me more and more.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,245 battles

russia.gif

• Funny 6

Members
6,872 posts
21,360 battles

No not all, they turned the least played Tier ten cruiser into a premium. Why? So people might play it.

12k radar.....lols… that's a 24k radar range North by South and East by West... guess who has fast reload and longer range and more accurate guns...….

[SIM]
Members
5,575 posts
9,005 battles

There's far more anti-Russian bias by grandstanding American fanboys on the NA server than there is actual Russian bias among the game development team. Some armchair admirals don't understand that this arcade shooter video game isn't meant to be an accurate recreation of World War 2.

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 12

[TBW]
Members
10,716 posts
18,414 battles

NoZoup has a good theory on why the sudden Russian bias, in his new video. It makes a lot of sense too.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[PQUOD]
Members
2,447 posts
5,584 battles
Just now, SkaerKrow said:

There's far more anti-Russian bias by grandstanding American fanboys on the NA server than there is actual Russian bias among the game development team. Some armchair admirals don't understand that this arcade shooter video game isn't meant to be an accurate recreation of World War 2.

When paper ships are out performing real ships by one nation repeatedly it starts to look very suspect.

• Cool 4

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,286 posts
8,502 battles

I think there is Russian bias in the sense the devs are based in Russia and have an otherwise disproportionately greater interest in Russian naval history and its paper projects (coupled with greater archival access), which would explain why Soviet ships are represented in such great numbers...

But, I also think it's incredibly far fetched to think the developers would deliberately unbalance the game in the pursuit of some nefarious propaganda driven plan to make Soviet ships superior in this video game.  I have yet to see a single balancing issue that can be better explained by "Russian bias" than Hanlon's Razor.  

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,850 posts
18,005 battles
31 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The USN would like a word.

Might have to recount. Probably pretty close.

I stand corrected. Although the US numbers are inflated a bit by duplicate ships (B and Lima versions with no appreciable differences between them) and no Soviet CVs (yet).

Edited by Sabot_100

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,837 posts
17,364 battles

TBH when I first joined I went the USN line for sentimental reasons. After awhile I decided to look at it like a movie. I'm here to be entertained, to relax, to have fun. It's more fun if I just suspend reality and enjoy it for what it is. I can rant and rage, or I can just play the game. Use what what works the best for me and enjoy. :cat_cool:

• Cool 1

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
7 minutes ago, yashma said:

I think there is Russian bias in the sense the devs are based in Russia and have an otherwise disproportionately greater interest in Russian naval history and its paper projects (coupled with greater archival access), which would explain why Soviet ships are represented in such great numbers...

But, I also think it's incredibly far fetched to think the developers would deliberately unbalance the game in the pursuit of some nefarious propaganda driven plan to make Soviet ships superior in this video game.  I have yet to see a single balancing issue that can be better explained by "Russian bias" than Hanlon's Razor.  

Imma just steal this opinion. Don’t mind me.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,286 posts
8,502 battles
4 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I do find it a little disconcerting the amount of people that bring politics into balancing discussions about a fantasy arcade game.  Personally I've always tried to separate the two, and apart from immediate gameplay concerns and the music and memes I can associate with a ship (I am guilty of blasting Heart of Oak when playing the Warspite), I really don't care too much what flag a ship flies when I take it into battle.

An OP Russian ship is a problem because it's OP, the fact it's Russian shouldn't even be relevant to the discussion.  

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
12,851 posts
26,795 battles
44 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

There has been a lot of negative chat about what WG has been doing in regard to balancing ships to each nation.  I will not voice my option but keep it to myself. However, WG is turning me an all American man into a Russian drinking Vodka troll ship player.  The only ship from the tech tree that I believe is truly sub-par is the Khabarovsk. I can't wait for the Russian CV tech line to be released. 

I do think that WG has a pretty big bias in favor of Russian ships. However, that doesn't mean all RU ships are OP. Some are really good but a lot of them are pure :etc_swear:. A majority of the RU DD's are awful (IMOA) as are most of their CL's.  The BB's are pretty good but rather than call that Russian Bias I call it power creep which happens every time a new line comes out.

Overall I think the RU line has some of the worst ships in game so while yes the company has a hometown bias it hasn't really manifested itself in "every" Russian ship being OP.

JM2C

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
15 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Anti- Russian bias? It's calling balanz for what it is. Kleber ain't Russian and it's been called out on this server  Same with US stealth radar on this server. It's ok for Russia tho, right? Points for creativity...

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
5 minutes ago, yashma said:

I do find it a little disconcerting the amount of people that bring politics into balancing discussions about a fantasy arcade game.  Personally I've always tried to separate the two, and apart from immediate gameplay concerns and the music and memes I can associate with a ship (I am guilty of blasting Heart of Oak when playing the Warspite), I really don't care too much what flag a ship flies when I take it into battle.

An OP Russian ship is a problem because it's OP, the fact it's Russian shouldn't even be relevant to the discussion.  

Agree. Shouldn't be. Russia fanboys just disappointed they couldn't sneak wildly imbalanced  ships by the masses and want to frame this latest community flare up as some kind of anti Russian bologna.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles
47 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just based on the number of Soviet ships in game for what was a third rate navy in the time period covered you would have to answer ABSOLUTELY.

There are more Russian premiums than any other nation.

The Russian BB line is THE BEST in the game based on multiple stats. Funny what you can do when you don't let reality constrain you.

Looks like they will now have the best cruiser line(s) too. (once again great things happen when you can abandon reality).

Their DDs are at least competitive.

Did you read "Flamu"s post on YouTube? He had a meltdown.

Members
324 posts
16 minutes ago, yashma said:

the devs are based in Russia

Technically, Wargaming was originally based in Belarus until later moving their headquarters to Cyprus...but I agree that they have been doing "Russian bias" since Belarus is very similar to Russia in terms of language and culture (more so than say, Ukrainians to Russians).

These new Soviet premium ships disgust me.....there are SO MANY other ships from REAL MARITIME NAVIES that could be added into the game!  Where are the other USN battleships Nevada, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota for instance?   Where are the Italian battleships and Italian destroyers???  Roma and Guilio Cesar WERE NOT the only Regia Mariana battleships; there were more of them! 

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles
16 minutes ago, yashma said:

Agreed. Gents keep this game related, please.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles

How many of you played IL-2 Sturmovik??? Great game. wanna guess what nation created it?  My main point in this post is Russians do make awesome games. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,879 battles
40 minutes ago, slider37 said:

I understand WG is a Russian company doing business in Russia with a lot of Russian customers, some of whom actually spend rubles on digital ships.  And you must please your customers somehow.

Then at least keep these phony ships on the Russian server.   Players must keep to a regional server.  Then tailor your offerings based on regions.

I used to play for free.  Then started spending US$. Every year I spend more.  Now I don't plan to put in any more cash.  I'll use up my credits and doubloons.  I've used up my premium.  This Russian bias is offending me more and more.

Oh  you poor thing. I am quite alright with how they are doing things. "Paper ships"? You might as well complain about
"actual" ships that actually never saw combat. If most of the Italian ships were "paper" they would do them as well: I don't see the bias in this as a game needing viable factions, at all. Classic straw dog argument in here that has frankly been beaten to death already. Be glad they do as good a job as they do on specific ships and st**, or something.

And if this was an American company the US bias would be off the scales. Period. I am so glad it is not.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

0 posts

Belfast. Bourgogne. Benham. Colbert. Gulio Cesare. Kamikaze, list goes on 

If you want to be fixated - you will be fixated. Your choice