You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CRZY_TRAIN

P button for shutting AA

28 comments in this topic

[-ICE-]
Members
466 posts

Simple question not look to rile up the peanut gallery here.....   How much is gained if anything by shutting of your AA (P) key?

[BB35]
Members
496 posts
14,156 battles

A destroyer with it on, having a CV in the game, it's like a flag, HEY I'M HERE!!!! (Turn it off unless you are detected)

Any hurt warship thats undetected, you want to turn it off so aircraft doesn't spot you.

During Halloween games, if you have a truce, turn it off so your secondaries don't shoot at other people.

• Cool 1

Members
1,460 posts
10,240 battles

Not much. When you get spotted by planes (and you are going to get spotted eventually)...well...

image.png.8f8951200e686f4b38e27ad3392c0b7d.png

But #JustDodge

Spread sheet says you're having fun.

But yeah, Keep your AA off and hope the planes flying across the map at over 100 knots don't eventually see you doing something useful.

Edited by Vekta408
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
13,812 posts
1 minute ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Simple question not look to rile up the peanut gallery here.....   How much is gained if anything by shutting of your AA (P) key?

For ships like dds, it's important to keep you from being spotted beyond your aerial detection range because your concealment blooms up to the max range of your AA as soon as it fires. Most dds keep it off until they are spotted, and then turn it off and on to help them spoil air attacks. For larger vessels, its rarely helpful to turn it off.

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
836 posts
11,323 battles

It turns off AA and Secondaries.

Cutting off Secondaries can be useful in seasonal game-modes where you don't want to fire on someone of a different team for whatever reason.

Cutting off AA is only really useful on Destroyers as their aerial detection is quite low and their AA can sometimes give their position away at a distance and help the enemy target and hit them.

[-ICE-]
Members
466 posts

How much is gained... I cant find anything about this except what people say which sounds to me like hearsay.    People dictate to shut your AA off in games with no Carrier...  its hard to ask why in games.  Does it help with your distance of detection and how much or is it just talk.... not bla bla bla planes bla bla DD's ect ect

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,799 battles
6 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

It's useful … often it's the difference between being spotted and escaping detection 

Try to get used to keeping it on when planes aren't on top of you, even if you're chasing plane kills 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,448 posts
14,816 battles

How much is gained... I cant find anything about this except what people say which sounds to me like hearsay.    People dictate to shut your AA off in games with no Carrier...  its hard to ask why in games.  Does it help with your distance of detection and how much or is it just [edited].... not bla bla bla planes bla bla DD's ect ect

For DD's a lot, for other ships usually not much. In game in a battle press the H key and look at the aerial detection with AA off like and compare it to the AA on line.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,799 battles
2 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

How much is gained... I cant find anything about this except what people say which sounds to me like hearsay.    People dictate to shut your AA off in games with no Carrier...  its hard to ask why in games.  Does it help with your distance of detection and how much or is it just talk.... not bla bla bla planes bla bla DD's ect ect

Some ships can launch 4 or more aircraft … 

And even if there's no CV in the game, they're definitely trying to find you :)

[HINON]
Members
13,812 posts
5 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Ship launched floatplanes could still spot you, especially important if you are setting up an ambush around terrain and then your AA pops off against a floatplane spoiling your entire plan.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles
9 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

How much is gained... I cant find anything about this except what people say which sounds to me like hearsay.    People dictate to shut your AA off in games with no Carrier...  its hard to ask why in games.  Does it help with your distance of detection and how much or is it just [edited].... not bla bla bla planes bla bla DD's ect ect

It depends on the range of your AA, and the air detection value of your DD. If your AA is firing, you're visible out to that range until the AA stops.

For example, my My Maass is spotted at 3.2km, and the AA range is 3.5km. No point turning it off, I'll only get spotted 0.3km later.

In Akatsuki, I'm spotted at 2.5km, and my AA range is 5.8. So I mostly leave it off.

IOW, if your AA range is close to or less than your air detection, just leave it on. If your AA range is appreciably more, leave it off, and sometimes, the planes will go right by without spotting you.

Where I find it makes a difference is not so much if a CV is actively looking for you, (although sometimes it helps) but when they're going for somebody else, and just happen to pass close by. Better they keep going, than change their plans and strike you instead.

It doesn't make you impossible to find, it just makes it take longer. And you never know when the CV player is going to lose patience and just go hit somebody else.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,308 posts
17,497 battles
7 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Go to any of your DD's Look at your long range AA range, then look at your air detection. The difference is how much is gained. Turning off AA for DD's is huge to avoid early detection.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,924 posts

It's only useful if your AA range is greater than your "from the air" detection range and you want to avoid being spotted from the air. 

[-ICE-]
Members
466 posts

ok so let me understand...   lets just say  your detection is 5k and your AA fires up to 6k, if your aa goes off your detected 1 k sooner?  is that basically it...  sp its not something like if your detection is 5k with it on if you turn it off its say 4.9k..   

[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles
Just now, CRZY_TRAIN said:

ok so let me understand...   lets just say  your detection is 5k and your AA fires up to 6k, if your aa goes off your detected 1 k sooner?  is that basically it...  sp its not something like if your detection is 5k with it on if you turn it off its say 4.9k..   

Both could be correct, it depends on the ship.

In Maass, turning it off is like your second example, 3.5km on, 3.2km off, so not really much point, I just leave it on, so I don't have to worry about turning it on when the planes spot me.

Akatsuki is more like your first example, except even more extreme. With 2.5km no AA, and 5.8km with AA, having it turned on gets me spotted more than twice as far away.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,207 posts
9,579 battles

ok TY i wrote that last post before i read these last explinations  thank you it clears it up  

No worries!

Most of us here try to be helpful, even if what we say isn't what some want to hear lol.

Members
1,460 posts
10,240 battles
16 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

That is more for spotter and scout planes. But in general it's better to leave your AA off by default because sometimes  it will go off when you don't want it to. There is a thing where you'll get plane spotted but not actually be able to see the planes on your mini map or when looking around your ship. if you  just leave it off you have a chance of not being accidentally spotted.

Also for some ships your AA range is very close to your surface detection so it gives you a bit of room to skirt around planes that aren't actively looking for you.

[STURM]
Members
725 posts
6,000 battles
8 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Sort of, but your air detection in a ship is much smaller than the surface detection.

For example, my stealth built Daring has a surface detection of 6KM, but an air detection range of 2.8KM. That means a total spotting area of 24.6 square kilometers from the air.

If my AA is on, however, planes will spot me in the air from 5.8KM away. That works out to a spotting area of 105.7 square kilometers from the air, more than 4 times more than if my AA is off.

So, yeah. In most cases, wandering around with your AA on in a DD is just asking to get spotted.

[E-M-S]
Members
92 posts
5,750 battles

simple, for DDs it's a detection thing, if you use weapons you are lit, be it Aa or secondaries. while you have manual control of your main guns AA and secondaries fire as soon as anything is in range (and within their arc if there is one). now, once detected you might as well turn them on, any planes you do take out cost the CV the time it takes to regen them (and some DDs actually have respectable AA to do it). but turn them off again afterwards. as to DD secondaries their only real purpose seems to be for decoration, anything within range of any secondaries you have is likely already surface detecting you. note, if your ship is one where your AA range is less than your detectability by air you don't really need to turn them off other than to be in the habit. note, if you keep it off even when aerial detected it can still help, strike aircraft do NOT turn on a dime, quite often they will overfly you and have to turn around to strike, but if you never fired they will lose detection and have to reacquire, often meaning they can't get their aiming reticle to close to get off an attack before overflying your again. as a CV driver I can tell you there isn't much that's more frustrating than not being able to get a bead on you to fire at all, especially if there are no surface ships firing at you while I do have you spotted.

[WORX]
Members
11,912 posts
19,462 battles
59 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Not much if you're a Torp DD.. 1 plane down maybe

If you're in a DD with good AA, you may loss your ability to down up to 100 planes.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,463 posts
13,640 battles
58 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

This and focus AA are keys I changed their hotkeys to things more easily hit while under stress.  My AA on or off is on my shift key (binocular mode is on my mouse) and focusing AA was moved to my space bar, a nice big easy to hit key no matter what my hands are doing.  Space bar can activate my AA as well in the control options.

Being able to maximize your air concealment as a DD is critical to life.

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles

Rebind to put your AA toggle & priority sector next to each other. If you’re suddenly opening up, you wanna get in as much as you can. Tangentially related: wish you could set keys specifically for priority port/starboard - too many times where I want to be focusing AA on the side opposite of my target. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,924 posts
2 minutes ago, LeastWeasel said:

Rebind to put your AA toggle & priority sector next to each other. If you’re suddenly opening up, you wanna get in as much as you can. Tangentially related: wish you could set keys specifically for priority port/starboard - too many times where I want to be focusing AA on the side opposite of my target. 

They're already next to each other.  O and P.

Which actually makes accidentally turning off your AA when you're going for the sector boost a non-trivial problem.