You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eisennagel

The Allied Plan to cut up Japan in 1945

7 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
11,060 posts

Imagine if Japan was cut up like this.   This is from the book "Allied Occupation of Japan" by Eiji Takamae.  

At that time China was the ROC or Republic of China under Chiang Kai Sek.   They could send forces to occupy Japan as they were to busy fighting the Communists and were content getting back the territories Japan took from them, such as Dalian and Taiwan.  After what happened to Germany, it also seemed that the USSR needed to be taken out of the equation.

If the country was turned into another divided Asian country between Communist North and a more Americanized South, history may have been altered, and in a not so nice way.  

B2QkXre.png

Edited by Eisennagel

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles

Interesting, but thankfully Gen Douglas MacArthur was sent and he didn't want Japan turned in to a post war Germany.

He felt that it would be dishonoring the Imperial Japanese Royal family to carve it up and he may have felt the Japanese would better serve as a western Ally in the future.

Had this scenario happened, it would surely have reshaped the South East Asia landscape and most likely ruin any chance of reunification of Japan once communist China got a foot hold.

Historically, since the very beginning of that ancient Naval invasion attempt by China, which gave legend of Kamikaze (divine wind), the Armada hit by a storm slammed Japan's shores with a bunch of near drowned Chinese.

But on the Emperor's order, none were allowed to live and were executed on the beach. No prisoners.

With that kind of bad blood, everything in that area would be red.

It is amazing that even such a proposal existed, but it was a time of incredible change.

MacArthur also had misgivings because he was grateful that the Imperial army imprisoned rather than execute outright, His friend and second in command, Gen Wainwright. For which MacArthur had him awarded the CMOH.

Wainwright had fought a delayed action in the Philippines so MacArthur could escape. Wainwright was forced to surrender and he and his men were forced to march in what was later called the Bataan Death March.

So many men died of exhaustion while others suffered along the way.

By the time MacArthur liberated Bataan, he found his friend in tatters, but still able to stand up and snap a salute. Wainwright had lost so much weight he was extremely thin.

Had MacArthur arrived a few days later, Wainwright might have died along with scores more of his men.

MacArthur had already made those responsible face justice, so it was not honorable to punish the people of Japan any further.

He showed respect to the Emperor and made sure the new government that would be established be a democratic one.

As evident in the Korean War, MacArthur never trusted the Chinese and he was right to do so at the time.

However, he also wanted to use nuclear weapons, so as ironically as this was, President Truman, had him relieved of command.

Let's just say things could have been worse.

It's amazing what pivotal decisions were made that shaped our history, and the irony that comes with it.

It sure puts things in perspective.

<O

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,155 posts
6,118 battles
27 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

If the country was turned into another divided Asian country between Communist North and a more Americanized South, history may have been altered, and in a not so nice way.  

B2QkXre.png

The USSR would have gotten a raw deal with that.  There's barely anything in their occupation zone.

npp_20140501_20140531_composite_print.jp

Completely unlike North Korea which was the most industrialized part of Korea.  Add to that, Korea and Russia share a border so they could ship supplies direct, while the main islands of Japan are isolated from Russia.

Members
2,768 posts
93 battles

If that happened, then the Japanese language would really be only be spoken in Hell, as the quote says. There won't be anyone rioting that Japan is whitewashing its history by denying its atrocities done in the war.

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles
Just now, RyuuohD_NA said:

What does game stats have to do with historical discussion?

It's a pet peeve of mine. I think it seriously undermines any player being trusted.

It could be they don't play at all, don't play often or something else. The possibilities are endless.

If at some point a player like this posts something important, but the prevailing consensus is when some players see that, alarms go off.

It's game stats. What's the harm in that?

I don't like the unknown.

Even if the posts are factual, one look at that one thing just bugs people.

Have you not seen recent clan descriptions requiring stats be shown?

It's not a big deal.

But if any person misrepresented themselves as say someone who plays, but in fact have never played, do you still want their advice on game play?

I hate derailing topics, especially history.

So agree or disagree, that's up to you. But you asked and that's my answer.

Let's not drag this out. If you don't agree, let it go. I just know that many in the community don't like it.

Let the OP have their discussion.

I want no part in it.

• Confused 1

[HINON]
Members
13,824 posts
54 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Players can choose to keep stats private or public. You are trying to shame eisennagel for having private stats. This is stat shaming. You have no right to his stats nor anyone else's. Mine are private as well as they are for my own use. 

Back on topic. It is interesting to ponder how post war japan would have been changed had the bombs not fallen when they did and the allies cut out the Soviets. If one looks at how things went in East Germany we have a glimpse at what Soviet occupation in japan might have resembled. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,794 posts
25,049 battles

Hindsight being 20/20, after seeing what happened with Korea, Japan not being spit up like Germany at the end of WWII was the better choice.

The Koreans to this day are still paying for being split up, even had a bloody war that's just on hold for the time being.  The peninsula has been a potential source for a significant war since then.

So yeah, Japan not being carved up was a better deal.  I'd imagine if she was, the region would be a lot less stable.  Trying to imagine the Korean Peninsula situation multiplied several times over in the Far East.  That's a scary thought.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:29 AM, Sventex said:

The USSR would have gotten a raw deal with that.  There's barely anything in their occupation zone.

npp_20140501_20140531_composite_print.jp

Completely unlike North Korea which was the most industrialized part of Korea.  Add to that, Korea and Russia share a border so they could ship supplies direct, while the main islands of Japan are isolated from Russia.

Regarding the IJN and her key bases, shipyards, none of them were in the possible Russian occupation zones.  Kure, Sasebo, Atsugi, etc.  All in the central or western side of the country.  From my time overseas, the far east / northeast of the country is the American equivalent of "the sticks" and it's remote a.f.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway