Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TriHard_DodgeDealership

The Kron was never OP

60 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,770 posts
20,237 battles

It's Russian. Therefore it has to be OP, right?

It's paper. Therefore it has to be OP, right?

It was removed from sale, and the only reason anything is ever removed from sale ever is because it's OP, right?

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1

0 posts
26 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

I don't know why so many people say this ship was OP. It never was. Stalingrad is but that's another story. It's as good as the Alaska.

Alaska is OP, Kron is OP.

Neither has a tech tree equivalent, both have battleship displacement, can act as proxy battleships when required, yet beenfit from cruiser matchmaking, versus the likes of Neptunes and Ibukis. 

These are (some of) the things which make them OP.

18 minutes ago, Lert said:

The Alaska is neither paper, nor Russian, but in my view, it is also overpowered, because, as with all of the supercruisers at tier 9 and 10, of how it has been implemented into the game.

Why was Kron removed from sale? Because a) too popular, b) WG likes to rotate for coal/steel reward ships

I know, my opinion on this is unpopular, in part because it does not conveniently slot into the precooked factions and lobbies on this topic. 

• Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,905 posts
16,548 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

It was removed from sale, and the only reason anything is ever removed from sale ever is because it's OP, right?

That part is a bit of a mystery to me.

Kronshtadt would have salvos that would be accurate and be stupidly OP, nuking your target into next match.

Your next salvo, however, would be stupidly wild and you wouldn't hit squat.  Pretty good when it hit, but hardly OP.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,770 posts
20,237 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

That part is a bit of a mystery to me.

I'm just parroting the common narrative on the forum.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
51 minutes ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

I don't know why so many people say this ship was OP. It never was. Stalingrad is but that's another story. It's as good as the Alaska.

According to the data the following items were NOT Overpowered but were nerfed anyway:

1.) Shimakaze
2.) Khaba
3.) Yue Yang
4.) Stalingrad/Kron and other Super Cruisers (Fire duration)
5.) Flooding
6.) Kleber
7.) Somers

[7AES]
Members
2,156 posts
33,332 battles
57 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Most ships that players bleat about being "OP"... are not.

“Bleat”....excellent descriptor of most goings on here.

[AAA]
Members
180 posts
19,414 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:
Edited by xXUglykidXx
I see the forums are as glitched as the game.... is there really no way to delete a quote ?

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,292 battles
1 hour ago, Varknyn12 said:

5.) Flooding

Did somebody say Battleship?

[TBW]
Members
10,732 posts
18,444 battles

It's way OP, I won the first and only battle that I played in it. Soon it will make it's way back into the the rotation and it will get a second battle. My opinion may change or be confirmed at that time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SCOM]
Members
221 posts
9,494 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

It's paper. Therefore it has to be OP, right?

The Moskva soon to be OP.:Smile_trollface:

[DVYJC]
Members
3,659 posts
8,705 battles

I have one and should take it out a little more, but I didn't really feel it was OP. I only did a couple matches, during which I couldn't afford to outfit, it, either, so I was disadvantaged from the start. But I'm not great with Alaska, either, so it could just be me potating. 

Frankly I think the supercruiser fire duration should be 45 seconds and not 60.

I do think that natural power creep has meant that a lot of ships that have been pulled for being unbalanced are no longer unbalanced, or, at least, are not so much so as to be hugely and gamebreakingly OP. 

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,954 posts

My experience fighting against Kronshtadts is that they're big fat damage piñatas... just keep hitting them and the big damage numbers fly out over and over again, fires start easily and they burn real good.

0 posts
20 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

My experience fighting against Kronshtadts is that they're big fat damage piñatas... just keep hitting them and the big damage numbers fly out over and over again, fires start easily and they burn real good.

when they are played badly, as with any ship.

but when they are used, despite their supposedly poor dispersion at range, properly specced, as long range edge humping snipers, they can be remarkably effective. Like all super/large/battle cruisers, they can act as a proxy battleship versus enemy cruisers and some bbs, but they lack the staying power/overstay their welcome; which means too many become big fat dmg pinata. It is in this latter role that they have rendered end game heavy cruisers quite obselete, within the WOWSY meta.

Members
265 posts
3,524 battles
15 hours ago, LoveBote said:

Alaska is OP, Kron is OP.

Neither has a tech tree equivalent, both have battleship displacement, can act as proxy battleships when required, yet beenfit from cruiser matchmaking, versus the likes of Neptunes and Ibukis. 

These are (some of) the things which make them OP.

The Alaska is neither paper, nor Russian, but in my view, it is also overpowered, because, as with all of the supercruisers at tier 9 and 10, of how it has been implemented into the game.

Why was Kron removed from sale? Because a) too popular, b) WG likes to rotate for coal/steel reward ships

I know, my opinion on this is unpopular, in part because it does not conveniently slot into the precooked factions and lobbies on this topic. 

This is pretty much right, though I would argue Yoshino isn't overpowered (sub 50% win rate) and Azuma is only perhaps mildly so (roughly 52% win rate, which is pretty much the end of what I would consider "normal" range for WoWs). A notable missing feature of these two (that other  supercruisers get) is radar, so they don't have near battleship caliber weapons and HP combined with the best cruiser DD hunting tool.

Take away radar, and I suspect you would see that supercruisers would be comparable to Italian CAs, but without the SAP gimmick.

That said, more to the topic at hand, Kron has a 55% win rate, and comparing it to Alaska, which has above a 54% win rate, doesn't really help its case, since 54% is also incredibly high.

Alaska does seem to perform better in the hands of better players, but again, this still doesn't help the case for Kronshtadt, it's more an argument that Alaska is OP.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,748 posts
25,011 battles

Kronshtadt set the standard for Tier IX Super Cruisers.  Kron, Alaska, even Azuma perform at pretty similar levels.

However, those Tier IX Super Cruiser stats are way better than the Normal Cruisers there.  Most especially in Tier IX Ranked, it got really ugly for Normal Cruisers.  Super Cruisers were the only things with a Cruiser icon that were on average, doing well for themselves.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
16 hours ago, TriHard_DodgeDealership said:

Yeah, and subs are never coming to WoWs.

Oh wait...

Members
265 posts
3,524 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Kronshtadt set the standard for Tier IX Super Cruisers.  Kron, Alaska, even Azuma perform at pretty similar levels.

However, those Tier IX Super Cruiser stats are way better than the Normal Cruisers there.  Most especially in Tier IX Ranked, it got really ugly for Normal Cruisers.  Super Cruisers were the only things with a Cruiser icon that were on average, doing well for themselves.

This is true, though their numbers aren't actually obscenely high in ranked. They're just not struggling like most other cruisers. Azuma is just above 50% and the other two aren't above 53%. Non supercruisers had a notably bad time overall though.

That said, it's notable that ranked creates a different balance environment due to the smaller number of ships per match and the lack of a tier spread.

On a similar note, Yoshino was dead last among cruisers in the last ranked season.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/season14/ship_avg_na.html

Venezia performed well. Stalingrad is Stalingrad.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,715 battles
13 hours ago, Wanturskul said:

The Moskva soon to be OP.:Smile_trollface:

Good that I will get mine when the split hit :Smile_trollface:

WG believes in spreadsheets 

Take a look at the Kronsthadt one

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3761157584,Kronshtadt/

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,748 posts
25,011 battles
23 hours ago, Enpra said:

This is true, though their numbers aren't actually obscenely high in ranked. They're just not struggling like most other cruisers. Azuma is just above 50% and the other two aren't above 53%. Non supercruisers had a notably bad time overall though.

That said, it's notable that ranked creates a different balance environment due to the smaller number of ships per match and the lack of a tier spread.

On a similar note, Yoshino was dead last among cruisers in the last ranked season.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/season14/ship_avg_na.html

Venezia performed well. Stalingrad is Stalingrad.

I remember following the IX Ranked Season via stats.  It was amusing to watch it unfold.  I felt before that IX Ranked started that it was going to be a BB-DD affair primarily, just like Tier V & VI Ranked.  IX BBs on their own are very strong there.  There's a number of fantastic DDs that same tier, and they were the ones that ran wild.  The Normal Cruisers of Tier IX aren't really that good, IMO they're really Tier VIII ships whose only real buff was access to Repair Party.  Honestly?  If you gave Cleveland Repair Party, people will favor her a lot more than Seattle.

Late edit:  I want to add, Tier X is a very different thing altogether compared to most other tiers, especially Tier IX.  Practically everything in Tier X is nasty.  Most lower tiers there's issues where an entire portion of ships is lacking for the tier.  For Tier IX, Normal Cruisers really suck bad there while the BBs are good and the DDs get really good for the tier.  Tier V & VI is BB & DD Country and Cruisers there get massacred.  Tier VII the BBs are pretty decent but Cruiser capability improves.  But the DDs IMO start losing out that tier, as they feel like the transition to Tier VII isn't a real big improvement.  Etc.  But Tier X, the tier is just full of deadly ships everywhere.  Even the very troubled Italian Cruiser Line, the Venezia is a monster unlike anything before in her own line.  People like to rag on Shimakaze, but nobody likes having to dodge 15 torpedoes.  Some don't respect Z52 but in a BB, I don't like dodging her very quick reloading torpedoes.  Some say Montana has been power crept, but I don't like seeing 16"/50 USN Armor Piercing Shells x12 flying at my Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NMKJT]
Members
2,812 posts
8,054 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I pretty much destroy almost any normal cruiser who picks a direct fight with my Kron.

1 hour ago, cyclone_z said:

kron has the worse dispersion in the game

Not even close buddy.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
1 hour ago, Enpra said:

This is pretty much right, though I would argue Yoshino isn't overpowered (sub 50% win rate) and Azuma is only perhaps mildly so (roughly 52% win rate, which is pretty much the end of what I would consider "normal" range for WoWs). A notable missing feature of these two (that other  supercruisers get) is radar, so they don't have near battleship caliber weapons and HP combined with the best cruiser DD hunting tool.

Take away radar, and I suspect you would see that supercruisers would be comparable to Italian CAs, but without the SAP gimmick.

That said, more to the topic at hand, Kron has a 55% win rate, and comparing it to Alaska, which has above a 54% win rate, doesn't really help its case, since 54% is also incredibly high.

Alaska does seem to perform better in the hands of better players, but again, this still doesn't help the case for Kronshtadt, it's more an argument that Alaska is OP.

Win Rate is not a performance metric. 

To observe the performance and strength of a subject ship/ship type you must look at the actual performance metrics which impact the match result (and which impact it the most).

Tier 1 performance metrics are : Average Damage per match, Average Kills per match, and Survival Rate.
Tier 2 performance metrics are : Aggro damage (Potential damage), Base Capture, Plane kills.
etc

These are determined by not only the win conditions (e.g. first to get to 1,000 points, sink all enemy ships, have the most points when time runs out, Instant point gain/loss for sinking a ship) and the ruleset (No Respawns, 12v12, no SBMM, etc)

For Win Rate to be indicative of the performance of a ship/ship type you would have to be able to prove a causal relationship. One, by removing the inherent bias. Two, by greatly lessening the unquantifiable dependencies.
This can be achieved if the primary game mode was 1v1 and SBMM

Edited by Varknyn12

Members
265 posts
3,524 battles
27 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

Win Rate is not a performance metric. 

To observe the performance and strength of a subject ship/ship type you must look at the actual performance metrics which impact the match result (and which impact it the most).

Tier 1 performance metrics are : Average Damage per match, Average Kills per match, and Survival Rate.
Tier 2 performance metrics are : Aggro damage (Potential damage), Base Capture, Plane kills.
etc

These are determined by not only the win conditions (e.g. first to get to 1,000 points, sink all enemy ships, have the most points when time runs out, Instant point gain/loss for sinking a ship) and the ruleset (No Respawns, 12v12, no SBMM, etc)

For Win Rate to be indicative of the performance of a ship/ship type you would have to be able to prove a causal relationship. One, by removing the inherent bias. Two, by greatly lessening the unquantifiable dependencies.
This can be achieved if the primary game mode was 1v1 and SBMM

Win rate is literally the match result. It tells you directly how the match has been impacted and resulted. It is literally exactly the performance metric. Nothing matters if you're not winning. If you're not winning, you've failed to swing the match in  your favor, and I don't care about anything else you've done. Either you succeed and you win, or you fail and lose/draw. How you got there is not a concern so long as you manage to do it. This goes for both players and ships.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this