You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
trident50

Is it my imagination or does it seem...

8 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
11 battles

Hey All,

I've been away from the game since for more than 6 months and it seems VERY different to me. More cartoonish - not the look but the feel, more of an arcade game, less of a "serious" feel to it. The audio seems very different - I can now hear other ships firing as if they're right next to me, even the voice sounds less authoratative, and the graphics of the guns seems more childish as well.

Was it all always like this  and I'm just imagining it or is this all part of the 'upgrades?'

• Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
4,805 posts
21,154 battles
20 minutes ago, trident50 said:

Hey All,

I've been away from the game since for more than 6 months and it seems VERY different to me. More cartoonish - not the look but the feel, more of an arcade game, less of a "serious" feel to it. The audio seems very different - I can now hear other ships firing as if they're right next to me, even the voice sounds less authoratative, and the graphics of the guns seems more childish as well.

Was it all always like this  and I'm just imagining it or is this all part of the 'upgrades?'

If what I have guessed is true, that the game is being de evolved into a young adult FFA shooter, your perception may support what I think is happening....  If our host is actually going towards a simpler FFA shooter, they require a lot less precision, a lot less "depth of animation" and easier to render graphics...  Remember, de evolution usually occurs in this order:  Accuracy, Weapons effects and Mobility.  You don't need precision graphics at short ranges.  Your weapons won't be effective at long ranges anymore and the damage done will be greatly changed.  And, you won't be able to avoid contact or dodge.   All this speeds up games.....

I could be wrong.........but, sadly, I suspect I'm pretty close to being correct. 

Remember, they can fool you as they tinker with the statistics of effects because they can do that slowly....  But, it's harder to fool what you see......

• Boring 2

Members
16 posts
11 battles
8 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

If what I have guessed is true, that the game is being de evolved into a young adult FFA shooter, your perception may support what I think is happening....  If our host is actually going towards a simpler FFA shooter, they require a lot less precision, a lot less "depth of animation" and easier to render graphics...  Remember, de evolution usually occurs in this order:  Accuracy, Weapons effects and Mobility.  You don't need precision graphics at short ranges.  Your weapons won't be effective at long ranges anymore and the damage done will be greatly changed.  And, you won't be able to avoid contact or dodge.   All this speeds up games.....

I could be wrong.........but, sadly, I suspect I'm pretty close to being correct. 

Remember, they can fool you as they tinker with the statistics of effects because they can do that slowly....  But, it's harder to fool what you see......

I think you're right. The gun effects, the look of the salvos, is all very much like a 90's Nintendo game now. Very unfortunate - make it far less enjoyable to play for me as it seems there's less skill required. It could just be perception from their "tweaking" but what you're suggesting, that two of us are perceiving things in the same way, makes me think there's definitely something going on :(

• Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,102 posts
11,809 battles
50 minutes ago, trident50 said:

Hey All,

I think it looks and sounds better . One of the best things about this game are the graphics including the painstaking attention to small details . I don't know what a less serious sound is and less authoritative voice considering there are tons of different voices and languages . That just doesn't hold water maybe the game mechanics themselves are getting closer to an arcade style but I disagree with the rest of this .

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1

Members
16 posts
11 battles
13 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I think it looks and sounds better . One of the best things about this game are the graphics including the painstaking attention to small details . I don't know what a less serious sound is and less authoritative voice considering there are tons of different voices and languages . That just doesn't hold water maybe the game mechanics themselves are getting closer to an arcade style but I disagree with the rest of this .

I mean it seemed closer to a sim than an arcade game before. Now the graphics - especially the salvos, seem more like a kids game than a serious strategy game. Like someone else wrote - more "childish", less strategic and more of a simple shooter game.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,102 posts
11,809 battles
38 minutes ago, trident50 said:

Now the graphics - especially the salvos, seem more like a kids game than a serious strategy game. Like someone else wrote - more "childish", less strategic and more of a simple shooter game.

Again I just totally disagree I have been playing this game over 3 years now . I don't see that at all to me everything looks better and sounds better but that's my opinion .

I don't think it ever played graphically like a sim game .

You have your opinion that's cool It's fine to disagree .

38 minutes ago, trident50 said:

I mean it seemed closer to a sim than an arcade game before

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1