Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kalari

Help me improve please?

6 comments in this topic

[PENND]
[PENND]
Members
8 posts
1,254 battles

some months ago i made a post about asking which BB line to start a crawl down and after some great advice from everyone i went down the american and german BB lines (and bought a tirpitz which turns out i like to brawl in her). currently the proud owner of a gneisenau and a Carolina. but during all my grinding i was in co-op mode just happily beating the crap out of AI. but now im getting bored of A.I. and after getting my face thoroughly kicked in  from random battles and learning im not the badass i thought i was, im returning here.

so far ive learned i do far better in the carolina than the tirpitz sitting rear lines, and taking pot shots with AP (i think the meta here is HE) playing VERY defensively. the Carolina isnt fully upgraded yet or even fully equipped. only her fire control is upgraded, engines (this is next) and hull still stock and main armament 1 and AA mod 1.  Im a casual i would rather get good advice from the start rather than do finish it and find out i have to rip it up and start all over.

my thought are i should change up to main arm1, Damage control 1, artillery room1, steering gears 2 and concealment and stay in the rear lines.

and IF i ever get an iowa prolly same setup but with both artillery plotting rooms. (that viable?)

so are my tactics just off? or am i on the right track and i just need to "get gud"

[WORX]
Members
10,631 posts
18,539 battles
27 minutes ago, Kalari said:

some months ago i made a post about asking which BB line to start a crawl down and after some great advice from everyone i went down the american and german BB lines (and bought a tirpitz which turns out i like to brawl in her). currently the proud owner of a gneisenau and a Carolina. but during all my grinding i was in co-op mode just happily beating the crap out of AI. but now im getting bored of A.I. and after getting my face thoroughly kicked in  from random battles and learning im not the badass i thought i was, im returning here.

so far ive learned i do far better in the carolina than the tirpitz sitting rear lines, and taking pot shots with AP (i think the meta here is HE) playing VERY defensively. the Carolina isnt fully upgraded yet or even fully equipped. only her fire control is upgraded, engines (this is next) and hull still stock and main armament 1 and AA mod 1.  Im a casual i would rather get good advice from the start rather than do finish it and find out i have to rip it up and start all over.

my thought are i should change up to main arm1, Damage control 1, artillery room1, steering gears 2 and concealment and stay in the rear lines.

and IF i ever get an iowa prolly same setup but with both artillery plotting rooms. (that viable?)

so are my tactics just off? or am i on the right track and i just need to "get gud"

These are the reasons Co-op was made for...

Test out your configurations in Co-op, move stuff around to what you want... That is the essence/purpose of co-op...

For more say harder game mods... I suggest DIV up with someone who is not to high in skill wise and show you more to the ship class.

Self taught is cool up to a point... Then you develop bad habits... Those take forever to stop...

Its up to you and how you learn best...Remember, Co-op is the best learning center in the game as long as, you're open to new stuff to try.

Edited by Navalpride33

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles
21 minutes ago, Kalari said:

You can start here, understanding the mechanics is a good start. Using all ship types helps a lot. I mean you wouldn't believe how much playing a DD helps you play a BB. iChase has some really good videos that I am sure will improve you game.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ichase+how+to

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,231 battles
1 hour ago, Kalari said:

So you only have 92 random battles. I'd suggest you shelve your rush to t10 and play at t5 and below for a bit. That way you can learn the speed of random battles. You definitely want to seek out better players to div and learn from. There's multiple discord's dedicated to helping players get better. I'd suggest looking into the adopt discord server or look to people in your own clan to get better. 

Members
383 posts
4,122 battles

Just to be clear, no amount of builds makes up for raw experience and tactics when it comes to playing random pubs.

COOP games usually consist of the AI doing the same thing... driving forward toward the enemy, and your only job is to shoot them and not get torped. Even their shots will be off from the worst players most of the time. This experience will give you the cheap thrills of being able to shoot dumb boats, but not much past that when it comes to learning tactics, or many other game play elements.

For example who cares amount any stat besides firepower when the enemy never dodgers, runs, hides, angles, stops, reverses or any other "trick" a human play may use to not get shot at. As such BB's are fun and games in COOP,  but become slow hulking targets themselves, that end up firing against quick moving players who do everything in their power to waste your time. This is the sort of experience you can't get in COOP. There will be instances where players drive as dumb as the AI, but being able to hit the dumbest players wont get you consistent results as almost anyone can hit a ship moving in a straight line.

The only way to get better at randoms is play randoms. I personally don't think going down to lower tiers is much of a difference, as long as you know how all aspects of the game work and how the ships you face function. Stuff like USN cruisers not having torps, the range of torps at a given tier, which ships have weak armor, or strong armor etc etc. As long as you are decently well versed in this knowledge, playing at the given tier should be fine, as the game is more or less the same at tier 8 as it is at lower tiers. 

The main thing is being able to understand and react to what the enemy team, and enemy players are doing, as COOP AI is very dumb, players not so much. 

The Terpitz is a mid-close range brawler that leverages its speed, armor, torps, secondaries and faster rate of fire then most BBs. Longer ranges its worse off due to its accuracy, lack of guns, so sitting back and throwing HE is something a cruiser, or any other BB would be better at so doing it shouldn't be high on the list. Knowing when and where enemy DD's are is a priority for staying alive as you will be a prime target for them. This shouldn't scare you, only make you aware as the name of the game is being able to make the most of the ship and the situation to impact the game as much as possible. Not all situations are equal, just as not all ships are best for all situations. Being able to understand when and where you should be with a given ship is key to doing well in this game. This is also something COOP wont teach you as anything can be good anywhere since the AI just "gets themselves killed".

The NC is an "all around" oriented BB, as it isn't as well armored as the other BBs of the same tier, but carries solid cannons and provides an all around platform  (speed, agility, armor, spotting distance, AA) to do what needs to be done. Its cannons have similar problems as most USN ships as flight times aren't that great, but don't have as bad RNG as the Germans, or worthlessness as the Russians at range. Its armor isn't that great, but its spotting distance is pretty good. Generally the NC is best used as a jack of all trades master of none, which relies the most on knowing how to impact the game, rather then following a specific game plan.

Good luck, keep playing pubs, watch what successful players do in a match and keep learning!

[THOR]
Members
460 posts
6,086 battles

I am on my third grind on USA Bb. Check my stats on total win rate vs USA Bb. I am by no means a great player. Regrinding USA Bb is teaching me map position with looking for crossovers situations and make them hurt with those AP shells. Saargentmki said some good things. I said that to say take your time learning. Don't rush up lines like I did starting out. Learn a class and how to get in position. The game slows down for me with BB I can watch map easier and make better movements. DD play moves to fast and I can't think that fast. Some good YouTube out there to learn and get gud.

Sign in to follow this