Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cactus_11

Question on capping

13 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
14,380 battles

I was in a random battle vs one ship.  I went to their cap and sat in it for most of the battle.  Why does the capping reset while I am sitting in the cap?  This happened twice, and I was well inside the cap.  Very frustrating to see it almost cap in my favor only to reset back as if I had left the cap.  I would like to know why this happens so that I can possibly avoid it in the future.

[WOLFG]
Members
552 posts
12,673 battles

Resets when you take damage from enemy fire. You probably got spotted, then got shot.

[O_O]
Members
6,451 posts
15,361 battles

12,000 battles?  Hmm.

I assumed this would be understood by veteran players.  That does explain numerous battles where my team mates won't shoot at a red ship that is about to cap in Standard mode...they may not understand that hits will reset the cap attempt.  Even with me trying to spell it out in chat, they could have been thinking, "what is this moron on about?!?"  :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
13,278 posts
14 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Resets when you take damage from enemy fire. You probably got spotted, then got shot.

Doesn't even require damage. As long as a shell hits or near miss lands nearby it will reset you.

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,262 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Co-op.

Hell, I’ll often let bots cap a bit in Co-op, because it lets me farm defense ribbons.

[WORX]
Members
10,712 posts
18,582 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hell, I’ll often let bots cap a bit in Co-op, because it lets me farm defense ribbons.

I also think that 12k games in Co-op and he is asking questions of a 500 games in beginner..

Which some among us are questioning the O Ps game observation skills...

No stat shaming here but it calls into question, my theory of up to when someone should know the basics?

[F4E]
Members
283 posts
7,106 battles

It may be that OP but as not alone in the cap and a teammate that was also in the cap was getting hit and causing the reset...  Without a replay we cannot really say.

[WOLFG]
Members
552 posts
12,673 battles
52 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Doesn't even require damage. As long as a shell hits or near miss lands nearby it will reset you.

Didn't know that, or notice it before.  Guess close enough is good in horseshoes AND World of Warships.  Must be splash damage from the water splashing onto ships, lol.

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,262 battles
59 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I also think that 12k games in Co-op and he is asking questions of a 500 games in beginner..

Which some among us are questioning the O Ps game observation skills...

No stat shaming here but it calls into question, my theory of up to when someone should know the basics?

About the only thing I’ll admit is worth a damn in Tanks is they at least have a tutorial mission to explain/show the barest minimum of basics.

Five years on and crickets chirping in Warships.

If anything; having to play such a mission should be one of the earliest requirements, and necessary to graduate to Randoms.

Of course; the aphorism ‘You can lead a horse to water; but you can’t make it drink,’ would likely be in full force...

...even after playing such a mission, a lot of players would still be all ??? about things... :cap_fainting:

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,900 posts
17,948 battles

WOWS has lots of mechanics.  Even the simplest are not necessarily known by everyone.  One must either be told (or read about it) or experience it to know about it.  

I'm very wary about knocking someone for not knowing something simple, regardless of the number of matches because I'm pretty sure there is something simple-obvious (everyone should know about) out there that I don't know about. 

Besides, there will be some new players who don't know about this and are reading this forum.  So answers help more than the OP.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,117 posts
8,345 battles
7 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Didn't know that, or notice it before.  Guess close enough is good in horseshoes AND World of Warships.  Must be splash damage from the water splashing onto ships, lol.

I always assumed that no-damage resets were ricochets. (I rarely pay attention to the hit ribbons that pop up)

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I did this for one of the cap missions recently.  I got 14 defence ribbons in one game.

7 hours ago, MN_Nice said:

It may be that OP but as not alone in the cap and a teammate that was also in the cap was getting hit and causing the reset...  Without a replay we cannot really say.

Another ship that gets hit in the cap only has its cap points reset.  Any other ships that don't get hit hold onto theirs.  A stealth ship can cap the area while several other ships are getting shot up in the cap.

An example would be if 2 ships entered the cap at the same time.  A single ship cap time would be 180 seconds.  For two ships that would be reduced to 120 seconds.  If there were 20 seconds remaining on the timer and one of the ships took a hit, the timer would reset to 70 seconds because half of the 100 second cap time would be reset.  What I am not sure about is how the reset affects the single ship time vs 2 ships.  If someone is continually resetting one of the ships, does the cap time still expire in 120 seconds because there is 2 ships, even though only one of the ships actually accrued cap points, or does that one ship have to accrue 180 seconds worth of cap time to cap out as if there is only one ship?  I'm guess it only needs 120 seconds because of two ships in the cap.

7 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Splash damage does count on ships.  It will reset cap points and also cause a roll for detonations if the explosion value is high enough to trigger it.

Sign in to follow this