5 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,417 posts
14,165 battles

@Lert Just finished Admiral on Prime. Well worth watching for anyone. It covers the politics of the time that Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter was active but it does a great job with the sea battles which are a big part of the story.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,957 battles

The movie chronicles - in a loose manner but still - a pivotal time in the history of the Netherlands and the formation of the constitutional monarchy it is now. Good movie.

[REVY]
Members
6,705 posts
5,646 battles

An odd moment in history where the Dutch brag to the US that they were a Republic before them, only to turn back towards their Monarchy (or whatever King William III was to the Netherlands).  Since I lack the historical context and since the Netherlands is still a Constitutional Monarchy, I have no idea if the murders of Johan de Witt and Cornelis de Witt are celebrated or condemned.  I suppose wikipedia points the blame of the disaster year at Johan de Witt, but without context, it doesn't seem like William of Orange was any better then Johan de Witt in the movie, so I'm not sure how to view this story.

Edited by Sventex

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,417 posts
14,165 battles
3 hours ago, Sventex said:

An odd moment in history where the Dutch brag to the US that they were a Republic before them, only to turn back towards their Monarchy (or whatever King William III was to the Netherlands).  Since I lack the historical context and since the Netherlands is still a Constitutional Monarchy, I have no idea if the murders of Johan de Witt and Cornelis de Witt are celebrated or condemned.  I suppose wikipedia points the blame of the disaster year at Johan de Witt, but without context, it doesn't seem like William of Orange was any better then Johan de Witt in the movie, so I'm not sure how to view this story.

And they finally settled on a Constitutional Monarchy. The period the movie covers is when they were in flux.

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,371 battles

I watched the movie, good account of Dutch history. The only thing, that bother me , was the actors not aging over the many years, the movie covered. I bought the DVD of the movie, but it broke. Lucky for me it was on Netflixs.

Edited by Timo_Greenwold