Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ziggy_Sprague

Looking for tips, advice on how to reduce laaaaaaaaaaag

10 comments in this topic

Members
386 posts
19,303 battles

Screen grab says it all: ping 2592 milliseconds.

It tends to surge up and down, from my normal (playable) minimum of 35 up to several hundred ms, then down, then up again, hitting extremes like 1500 to 3000 then disconnecting completely.

Sometimes it registers a negative number such as -35mbps. I have no idea what that means, unless I've crossed over into the alternate universe of opposite polarity.

I'm on a 100mbps residential fiber connection. I have the option for 1gbps, but my current speed has been fine up until the most recent WoWs update.

Looking for tips, suggestions, config file edits, etc. that might reduce this excessive in-game lag.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (687).png

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[WORX]
Members
10,586 posts
18,482 battles

Looks like a bottleneck,

Before you do anything on the PC... I would recommend how you can improve you Connection in the physical means...

That means

• Checking wires
  • Checking modems
  • Checking cables
  • Checking Routers if any..
  • If you're using Cable or DSL...
    • If you're using DSL make sure your Analog signal is not interfering with the digital signal.

Lastly, the last resort... Making sure your ISP is not bottle necking your traffic to save money on routers.

DO what i noted first before doing anything in the PC...

Also, I recommend to connect directly with the modem/router... If you're using wireless wifi and you have problems, stop immediately.

GL

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Supertester
242 posts
7,382 battles

-35 means a disconnect. Either you've dropped connection to the server or your internet went out. As far as the big spikes go, you can do a few things to check. First, you can check your link speed. If you are wired, you want to see 1Gbps. If you're not, you may have a bad cable. If you're on wireless, go wired if you can. Also worth noting, most ISP supplied routers are crap. The are not capable of supporting high bandwidth applications, especially on wireless, and sometimes don't even have gigabit ports. IF you are using the ISP supplied router, buy your own. Since fiber suppliers rarely use PPoE but rather just dynamic, unplug your old router and plug in the new one. It should work just fine.

Members
386 posts
19,303 battles
20 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I would recommend how you can improve you Connection in the physical means...

13 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

-35 means a disconnect.

Many thanks for the tips. I'll go through each and hopefully I can follow up with some good news. Will let you know.

Thanks again!

Members
386 posts
19,303 battles

I just wanted to circle back and this and say that I've re-booted my router, and that seems to have resolved the issue for now.

This PC is indeed on a wireless connection. I'll definitely change it to wired once I figure out how to best run ethernet across the room... I'll probably have to go up one wall to the attic, over the office ceiling and back down the other wall. Bit of a project.

Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions -- much appreciated.

Screenshot (709).png

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[BONKS]
Supertester
242 posts
7,382 battles

Does your 'office' have carpet or baseboard molding, specifically the rubber kind? You can run a cable along the baseboard without too much issue, unless you have baseboard heaters

Members
386 posts
19,303 battles
43 minutes ago, SnipeySnipes said:

'office'

Okay, that's fair. My apologies; I should have said home office, study, den or man cave. Work is indeed done in there... from time to time.

No carpet. Baseboards, yes, but I'll have to pull one to see how much room there is behind. I've heard about flat cables; maybe that's the trick.

[BONKS]
Supertester
242 posts
7,382 battles

Flat cables suck IMHO as they don't provide the noise cancellation, particularly over distance, that twisted pairs do. They work well for short distances, but upwards of 20ft, which you will likely experience, and they get noisy. While it might not make a huge difference for home networking, I'm just not a fan. I assume that since you were talking about flat cables, you're going to buy the pre-made ones correct? What might be easier, in that case, though a bit more costly, is to get baseboard cord channel. Make it look tidy and less holes to drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-5-ft-1-4-Round-Baseboard-Cord-Channel-White-A60-5W/205849335

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this