You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
needlenoses4

TRAINING

19 comments in this topic

[K0]
Members
111 posts
11,815 battles

Other than using CO-OP or in game practice, are there any good places here for trying to improve ones HIT RATIO??

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles
21 minutes ago, needlenoses4 said:

Other than using CO-OP or in game practice, are there any good places here for trying to improve ones HIT RATIO??

Do you know how to use the reticle? You know like time to target, distance and stuff like that. Do you use the dynamic reticle? I take it by Co op you are including Operations.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[K0]
Members
111 posts
11,815 battles

I understand the reticle, but have a problem with say 9 shells fired, they all land central on the target but might get only 2 hits. I have read up on dispersion ( likely the issue ) plus watching smokestack for speed ; hard for me to tell if ship it coming at me or away sometimes.  Trying to use the mini map.   Just really want to get better hit-ratio.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

You can try with moving targets in Training Room, so you can practice with aiming without messing with your stats.  However, bots don't really test you with aiming compared to players.  Bots don't try to evade and use WASD keys to make it harder on you.  They're also quite fond of just charging straight at you.  Against maneuvering targets, the only real good mode of practice is against players, I'm afraid.

Telling whether a target is moving forward, back, or is stationary can be problematic at times if you're eyeballing it.  Taking a quick glance at minimap to see where the target's nose is pointing to helps, but if they're playing with the throttle, it's going to be a pain.  There is the old Running Lights Mod found in the official WoWS Mod Station.  I'm sure Aslain's Mod Pack has it also, I remember seeing it there ages ago.  There's a red light above the target if it's reversing, green if going forward, yellow if stationary.

bmKsayG.jpg

Also, not sure if you tried it, but have you used Dynamic Crosshairs?  Old video by Notser but it gets the point across about it.  There's even mods for Dynamic Crosshairs these days.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WAG]
Beta Testers
777 posts
7,165 battles

the training room exists. you can create any scinario you want, and it doesent even cost you anything.

[-AGW-]
Members
977 posts
13,458 battles
1 hour ago, needlenoses4 said:

Your average hit % is at 26. That's really not bad for the types of ships you are using. The rest is a matter of practice. Keep at it.

I wonder if there's some sort of graphics/hardware issue.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,931 posts
8,200 battles
17 minutes ago, needlenoses4 said:

I understand the reticle, but have a problem with say 9 shells fired, they all land central on the target but might get only 2 hits. I have read up on dispersion ( likely the issue )

Yep, if you're straddling the target, that's pretty much the best you can do. Only closing the range can fix that. (other than certain ship upgrades)

17 minutes ago, needlenoses4 said:

watching smokestack for speed ; hard for me to tell if ship it coming at me or away sometimes.

Yeah, I had that problem, when they were close to bow or stern on.

Never used to be a problem back in the day, very few players actually did the stationary/backing up thing.

Now that so many people do it, I said screw it, and started using the red/yellow/green light mod.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Taking a quick glance at minimap to see where the target's nose is pointing to helps, b

How does that help telling you if he is going forward or backwards his nose is pointing at you or I'm I missing something ?

Edited by clammboy

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles
52 minutes ago, clammboy said:

How does that help telling you if he is going forward or backwards his nose is pointing at you or I'm I missing something ?

Because unless it's a bow camping / reversing Battleship, most people tend to be moving forward, and you need to aim accordingly.  With the effects of smoke, flashes, splashes, and the ship being distant, the details may seem iffy to make it out even if scoped in on a target.  Looking at the mini map to confirm their direction will help.  Most especially if you are playing on a potato computer with details turned down and everything starts looking like a gray brick.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
2 hours ago, needlenoses4 said:

I understand the reticle, but have a problem with say 9 shells fired, they all land central on the target but might get only 2 hits. I have read up on dispersion ( likely the issue ) plus watching smokestack for speed ; hard for me to tell if ship it coming at me or away sometimes.  Trying to use the mini map.   Just really want to get better hit-ratio.

If you play in a ship armed with torpedos you can switch to them and see how the prediction indicator moves to judge speed.  Sometimes dispersion can throw off your shells. 

[WOLFG]
Members
28,931 posts
8,200 battles
31 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Because unless it's a bow camping / reversing Battleship, most people tend to be moving forward, and you need to aim accordingly.  

That's the thing, the condition you mention has become more prevalent. I never would have bothered with the mod 2 years ago.

I have no such problems with cruisers, they tend to sashay a bit when coming straight on or running straight away, so it's easier to see which.

Of course, actually hitting them is another matter entirely lol.

[META_]
Members
2,195 posts
7,257 battles

when I watch utube videos, some of the players have an indicator which shows the targeted ship angle relative to their own? and I think it shows your ship angle to the targeted ship as well? is that a mod?? it would help if figure out whether to use AP or HE...

does it have relative distance on it as well, which would really help with figuring out where to aim.

• Cool 4

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles
34 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

If you play in a ship armed with torpedos you can switch to them and see how the prediction indicator moves to judge speed.  Sometimes dispersion can throw off your shells. 

I use this method on all my ships with torps.  It is by far the most accurate method of determining rate of motion and any change as its happening.

The smoke watching is a thing but difficult to do for ships that change speed a lot.  I have traffic light mod now.  It only takes a glance, but you still have to be aware during the transition from forward to reverse and reverse to forward.  You have to watch the ship's wake in conjunction with it to be sure which direction a ship is going when a ship is just starting to move but is  still showing the yellow indicator.

33 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

when I watch utube videos, some of the players have an indicator which shows the targeted ship angle relative to their own? and I think it shows your ship angle to the targeted ship as well? is that a mod?? it would help if figure out whether to use AP or HE...

does it have relative distance on it as well, which would really help with figuring out where to aim.

The angle mod is nice.  It does help better than just looking at the minimap.  I should put it back on.  I haven't run that one for a while.  No distances are shown.

[K0]
Members
111 posts
11,815 battles

Thanks for all the input; I was told that my hit% of say 26 really really sucked;  been working on it for some time and realize that it will take a long time to that stat.  Not sure of the math but if it takes X number of games to get that 26, it will take a huge amount to get to say 35 %.  Have not give  up and the clan I have joined is putting together some training for things like positioning.

As for DDS and the Atlanta with it's 16 DD guns I find it tough to get it to a safe place where it can inflict  damage;  15. something range is not an asset.  I can usually get in 175 + hits but that is not enough.  More work; someone else said that my enemy is changing ships too often.  

[WORX]
Members
10,619 posts
18,506 battles
21 hours ago, needlenoses4 said:

As far as practice mode goes ??? Nope, only Co-op and training rooms..

If you want to practice your aim while in curtain conditions, Operations is useful too,

There is no other spots in the game that is designated as practice or try out zones, other then Co-op, training, or operations.

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles
On 2/9/2020 at 6:15 PM, needlenoses4 said:

Yes, operations are a great place to learn & improve gunnery.

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,130 battles
On 2/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, needlenoses4 said:

Thanks for all the input; I was told that my hit% of say 26 really really sucked;  been working on it for some time and realize that it will take a long time to that stat.  Not sure of the math but if it takes X number of games to get that 26, it will take a huge amount to get to say 35 %.  Have not give  up and the clan I have joined is putting together some training for things like positioning.

As for DDS and the Atlanta with it's 16 DD guns I find it tough to get it to a safe place where it can inflict  damage;  15. something range is not an asset.  I can usually get in 175 + hits but that is not enough.  More work; someone else said that my enemy is changing ships too often. 

The Atlanta is really difficult to play and not all maps work well for it. That being said, my best ever base xp game was in the Atlanta with 4500+, but you really need people to ignore you while you go to town. Playing with a DD in a division so you have access to smoke can make your life easier. Other than that, find those islands and make them you wifus.

[BOMBS]
Members
106 posts
10,295 battles

Hit% is good, but 9k battles and I still suck at it. Best advice I can give:

1. Use the Dynamic crosshair
  2. By default, the time-to-target of a ship nearly perpendicular to you is the position on the crosshair you should place on the middle of the target.
  3. If its a destroyer, double the number.
  4. If its a battleship, halve the number.
  5. If the target is further than approx. 16 km, you need to increase the number.
  6. If its less than 10 km, you need to reduce it.
  7. If the target is angled, reposition the crosshair in an oval pattern (imagine an oval around the ship and adjust) - my basic rule of thumb is not to reduce the crosshair position by too much until the target is clearly more sharply angled than 45 degrees off the perpendicular.
  8. Practice, practice, practice.

More importantly, focus win rate - that's the stat that matters. Not all ships can contribute by improving hit% for a variety of reasons, but every ship has her secrets that contribute to producing wins. Good luck!

[K0]
Members
111 posts
11,815 battles

I ride on the masts of other ships after I am dead to just see what others are doing; sometimes I think that my aim is not so bad after all;  working with clan on my positioning etc;  don't want to give up even though others are highly critical 

Thanks all for input.