You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tig_Welder_1

New to WoW

38 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
188 battles

Howdy howdy all,

Just wanted to drop a quick line and say, holy Heck, I am new here! I just came over from WOT after getting tired of it and thought I would give this a try. Well seems to be that I actually like it. However, wow what a difference from running a few tanks to open water naval war. So, as a new player with only 6 battles played, I am a veteran so i have been running the Albany (sp?) and loving it. Likewise, if anyone wants to bomb me with any help, feel free to smother me in info as I am kinda lost here as I am going through the new player guides and such!

Cheers all

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
11,856 posts
24,554 battles
1 minute ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

Howdy howdy all,

Just wanted to drop a quick line and say, holy Heck, I am new here! I just came over from WOT after getting tired of it and thought I would give this a try. Well seems to be that I actually like it. However, wow what a difference from running a few tanks to open water naval war. So, as a new player with only 6 battles played, I am a veteran so i have been running the Albany (sp?) and loving it. Likewise, if anyone wants to bomb me with any help, feel free to smother me in info as I am kinda lost here as I am going through the new player guides and such!

Cheers all

Welcome to the forums. 

[TWFT]
Members
1,349 posts
37,483 battles

Join a clan or approach most of the higher clans for help (some of them are not stuck up buttwads), also watch a lot of Flambass and Flamu on YouTube, they are always a good unfiltered source of info. 

If you are not to far into the game ill give you an invite code for:

1.  T3 Aurora

2.1,000,000 Credits

3.  7 days premium

4.  1000 Daubloons

Message me and ill get back to you latter today.

Lastly good luck and have fun, but if I see you in a CV 'I'm gona TK you.     

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,848 battles

Welcome to the coolest game on the internet!

Advice?  Keep playing.  The complexities of this game are legendary.  The only way to learn it is to play it.  The more you play, the more you'll learn.  The more you learn, the better you'll play.  The better you play, the more you'll want to play.  Don't try to rush to the top of the tech tree.  Spend some time with every ship, and learn to play that ship.  You'll have learned how to play the ship, and also how to play AGAINST it.  Even if you hate the boat, sell it, and never look back, you'll still have to play against it sometimes.

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,257 battles
5 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Welcome to the coolest game on the internet!

Advice?  Keep playing.  The complexities of this game are legendary.  The only way to learn it is to play it.  The more you play, the more you'll learn.  The more you learn, the better you'll play.  The better you play, the more you'll want to play.  Don't try to rush to the top of the tech tree.  Spend some time with every ship, and learn to play that ship.  You'll have learned how to play the ship, and also how to play AGAINST it.  Even if you hate the boat, sell it, and never look back, you'll still have to play against it sometimes.

This...

Did I say THIS...?

I would add; start learning to shoot at destroyers early, they are the smallest targets and can be pretty squirmy. Learning to do so will pay dividends in the future.

0 posts
53 minutes ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

Howdy howdy all,

Cheers all

welcome!

take your time getting aquainted with the game, and the forum. Also, take your time, plenty of time and battles, before you decide to play random @ tier 5+. New players often find that a cold shock if they progress too fast.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,675 posts
9,514 battles

Welcome to the game and the forums.

Spend as much time in the lower tiers as you need to learn the basics. Once you break into tiers V-VI, the game becomes much less forgiving. Also, take this time to familiarize yourself with each of the classes in the game. You may hate playing DDs, but the best way to learn to counter them is to play them yourself. The same applies to CVs or any other class in the game.

[WPORT]
Members
5,522 posts
10,532 battles
58 minutes ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

Howdy howdy all,

Cheers all

Welcome "aboard".  :-)

Hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :-)

Perhaps you'll weld your hull back together on the open water?  That way your ship will stay in the fight longer?  :-)

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
4,275 posts
18,670 battles
58 minutes ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

Howdy howdy all,

Cheers all

Welcome aboard !

There is a pretty steep learning curve so, whatever you do take your time and explore the lower tiers first.  I'm not an expert but I started with a Country and started at the beginning and ground up a single line of ships first.  For me, I started with DD's and worked through all of them, one at a time.  Then cruisers.  Then BB's.  The game made more sense taking my time and not getting frustrated with the nuances and exploits that are the money making tools this game uses....

There is nothing more frustrating getting wiped out because you "didn't know about"........  That kind of data is not always easy to find or even use if you find it......  Experience from others is the real teacher so find a Clan that teaches and immerse yourself into the lower tiers till you "grok" what they teach you to survive the next tier....  It will save you a migraine or two.  Don't spend a penny on that shiny premium ship !!!!  Play the free ones till you know why that premium ship can or might make more money in the game.........because, only your skill, not that premium ship, will make you that value and there is no where outside of "experience" to learn why that is so!

Aim small, miss small actually means something......think that way.......it's a lot less frustrating as you go up !

Members
1,674 posts
12,382 battles
1 hour ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

Howdy howdy all,

Cheers all

You make first good step in asking for help here.
One of our biggest worry is 99 % of new player not out asking for help but just going into top tier games without much battle with premium ship and they ruin game

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
27 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Also, take your time, plenty of time and battles, before you decide to play random @ tier 5+. New players often find that a cold shock if they progress too fast.

That's kind of iffy though, just because of all the CVs at low tiers.

I'd say, don't rush up the tiers, but don't spend any more time than you have to in T3-4. 

Although, if he's coming from WoT, he'll be used to that. It's pretty much not until you hit T5 that you can do anything to 2-tier higher tanks. 

And if he's used to being bottom tier in WoT, T5 in a T7 battle here is a walk in the park.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles

Welcome OP.

The biggest hurdles you'll come across early on, are torps and frequent multiple CV games.

Just avoid driving in straight lines, unless you're absolutely sure there's no DDs around to launch torps, and if you see something that might launch torps, (DDs or TBs) turn into or away from it early, before you actually see any torps.

As far as CVs, well, there isn't much you can do about them, except get to T5, where they become much less frequent, and you start getting somewhat useful AA.

And as others have said, don't be in a rush to get to high tiers. Unlike WoT, where high tiers usually just means more dangerous weaponry, it also requires a very patient playstyle, to avoid being walloped by half the enemy team at once.

Another thing, as you play more, you'll see ships stopping and playing "peek-a-boom", like in WoT. Try to avoid doing this, (at least at first) you want to get comfortable with maneuvering your ship to avoid danger, and the maps are more open than WoT, so it's easier to get flanked and caught sitting still.

0 posts
18 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That's kind of iffy though, just because of all the CVs at low tiers.

tier 4 is fine for new players as long as they go no further than tier 4, they benefit from protected MM. They shouldn't see seal clubbers/veterans in CVs. Make an alt, you will see for yourself how new player progression works.

When a new player researches, buys a tier 5 and then enters their 1st tier 5 random battle, that is when they lose protected MM, whether or not they have unlocked camo/captain skills and whatnot. That is why tier 5 is a cold shock for new players.

8 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

As far as CVs, well, there isn't much you can do about them, except get to T5, where they become much less frequent, and you start getting somewhat useful AA.

this is very bad advice, please consider editing it, see above/.

new players lose their protected MM at tier 5 and above/

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

tier 4 is fine for new players as long as they go no further than tier 4, they benefit from protected MM. They shouldn't see seal clubbers/veterans in CVs. Make an alt, you will see for yourself how new player progression works.

When a new player researches, buys a tier 5 and then enters their 1st tier 5 battle, that is when they lose protected MM, whether or not they have unlocked camo/captain skills and whatnot. That is why tier 5 is a cold shock for new players.

I agree, except in the case of a WoT player.

They're used to no protected MM, and here, you can do a lot more to higher tier vehicles than in WoT. And with both games, T5 is where you start getting vehicles that play well.

IMO, the CVs are going to be the bigger problem. A match with 3 CVs per side is like a match with 4 arty per team. Losing "protected" status is a small price to pay for avoiding that.

• Cool 1

[NOG]
Members
134 posts
9,760 battles

Welcome to Ships. its good that you came from Tanks because by now you should have grown a thick rhino hide to deal with the salt.

Members
18 posts
188 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Don't buy high tier premiums you don't have the game experience and skill to properly play.

Nope, I know the ends and outs of Tier 10 play with world of tanks, so I dont want to be one of those players.

Members
18 posts
188 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Don't buy high tier premiums you don't have the game experience and skill to properly play.

Nope, I refuse to play high tier until I know the game, much like WOT.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,802 posts
4,631 battles
3 hours ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

I am going through the new player guides and such!

Now is the time to discover the wiki.  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

It's too completist to use as a intro, but over time will be your best reference. 

IMO, if you spend some time slogging through the Economy article https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy you'll suddenly jump ahead of 2/3 of the players in the game and give yourself a solid basis for decisions.

Welcome and good luck!

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
282 posts
6,737 battles

See also this video for a current new user link. If you dont plan to use unified premium time, I highly suggest using one of these invite codes, as they greatly help with the low starting income.

Also, feel free to add me in game, I d be willing to division with you and help out.

[YORHA]
Members
5,017 posts
10,004 battles

Start here...

So far there are 9 videos in the series by one of the best technicians in the game.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1

Members
18 posts
188 battles
26 minutes ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

See also this video for a current new user link. If you dont plan to use unified premium time, I highly suggest using one of these invite codes, as they greatly help with the low starting income.

Also, feel free to add me in game, I d be willing to division with you and help out.

How do I use the unified premium time in WoWS from my WOT account anyways? I have 100+ days of premium there!

[PVE]
Members
11,856 posts
24,554 battles
3 minutes ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

How do I use the unified premium time in WoWS from my WOT account anyways? I have 100+ days of premium there!

I "think" you need to be on the same server for both games and use the same username (or is it e-mail?) in which case it is automatic but not 100 sure.