You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SilverPhatShips

Is DD game play really that hard?

51 comments in this topic

Members
699 posts
3,452 battles

Ohhhh people play DD, like these 2 who both rushed caps filled with radar ships and Frieslands both dying by the 3 min mark. 2nd from bottom has 12,000 games played and an impressive 39% WR......

1789889964_uslessteam.png2.thumb.png.47d1ac47e16cce9edaadea674ac0a83d.png

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Yes.. apparently.

I have been working on a Pre-game ten commandments for dd's...

So many players have no clue about the following.. Detection ranges, torpedo ranges, torpedo reload time, radar, who has radar, distance and duration of radar.... same goes for hydro ships.... When to shoot, when not to shoot. Smoke sitting vs spotting, dropping smoke for ships that can use it or who not to drop it for, which dds to run from or engage in a gunfight. Many still struggle with using AP or HE.....shooting widespread torps, always using the white line indicator.... using torps when guns will work better and faster.

Even using last known position, which cap should be free based on two or 1 dd game....

The list goes on and on. It is why most games are won or lost based on dd play or lack there of. The majority of games the losing team has dds near the bottom of the xp board and winning has theirs near the top.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,175 battles
17 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

lol NO who plays DDs anymore?

2020-02-09.png

I saw at least 2 or 3 per side in almost every game I played this weekend . Seemed pretty normal some very good and some bad .

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,460 battles

OP in answer to your question DD game play is not that hard.

Members
158 posts
8,286 battles
15 minutes ago, Many_metal_fishes said:

Ohhhh people play DD, like these 2 who both rushed caps filled with radar ships and Frieslands both dying by the 3 min mark. 2nd from bottom has 12,000 games played and an impressive 39% WR......

"12,000 games with 39% win rate". Stats like this boggle my mind, especially how common they are. Does anyone know the statistical average win rate if you just sit afk an entire match? 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

I saw at least 2 or 3 per side in almost every game I played this weekend . Seemed pretty normal some very good and some bad .

Really seems to depend on how heavy the CV population is on a given weekend, because a lot of heavy duty CVs plus Radar ship, and map the MM favored maps on a given day can discourage DD play. 

Thankfully there are some CAs that both carry good torpedoes, are a reasonably stealthy, and carry some nice torpedoes that can fill the DD role in a pinch. And some times only certain DDs will become scarce on a heavy CV day in favor of heavier AA DDs.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
3 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

OP in answer to your question DD game play is not that hard.

Well it’s not that hard if you don’t have a CV patrolling a map with rather restricted island passes that a DD either has to pass through or stay out of the action. Even Radar is not always as tough as a CV can be depending on the situation. Particularly if said CV has their aircraft HP heavily upgraded and they at least semi know what they are doing.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,175 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Really seems to depend on how heavy the CV population is on a given weekend, because a lot of heavy duty CVs plus Radar ship, and map the MM favored maps on a given day can discourage DD play. 

Thankfully there are some CAs that both carry good torpedoes, are a reasonably stealthy, and carry some nice torpedoes that can fill the DD role in a pinch. And some times only certain DDs will become scarce on a heavy CV day in favor of heavier AA DDs.

That sounds about right there didn't seem to be an abnormal amount CVs players in tiers 8-10 so I saw the same general DD population . When there seems to be a lot Of CVs around I play the Massachusetts this ship is not only fun to play but can hold it's own against CV's even higher tier CVs .

[KWF]
Members
4,373 posts
6,405 battles

When half the cruisers have high velocity rifles, there are CVs and lots of counters around, can you blame them? 

That's not to say that it's pretty exciting and personally fulfilling to be overcoming these odds in a DD, preferably a downtiered one to maximize XP.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles

I've been enjoying playing only friesland as of late. Can't possible be the fact that its aa actually works 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
1 minute ago, eagle_lance said:

I've been enjoying playing only friesland as of late. Can't possible be the fact that its aa actually works 

is that "really" a dd though?

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,249 battles
3 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

is that "really" a dd though?

There's a lot of ship misidentification. Is a kleber really a dd? Pretty sure it's a cl without a cit

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
25,621 battles
24 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

.................................... Does anyone know the statistical average win rate if you just sit afk an entire match? 

When I played World of Warplanes a long time ago, a pilot decided to do a test and for a couple hundred games (or so) at the start of these matches he flew his plane to the corner of the map and just stayed there.  I cannot remember the exact numbers, but he lived quite a bit and won 40% of these battles. 

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
26 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

"12,000 games with 39% win rate". Stats like this boggle my mind, especially how common they are. Does anyone know the statistical average win rate if you just sit afk an entire match? 

50% of all Doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

Point is that stats aren't everything and that "there is always someone faster" when one is discussing Old Western Movie Gunfighting.  ;-)

• Boring 1

[RST]
[RST]
Beta Testers
137 posts
8,629 battles

While playing DDs have a steep learning curve, they're not unplayable.  Just need to know your ship capabilities, limitations, radar ships on enemy team, CVs on enemy team and actual objectives to win.  Don't yolo, screen your friends with smoke when necessary, keep your AA off when enemy planes are around unless spotted and other stuff.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
47 minutes ago, Many_metal_fishes said:

Those look like bots to me lol

I stand by what I said anybody play DD anymore?

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

lol NO who plays DDs anymore?

Maybe they were all in coops to complete the 30 torpedo hits mission requirement.

[TRU]
Members
605 posts
18,262 battles
7 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

When I played World of Warplanes a long time ago, a pilot decided to do a test and for a couple hundred games (or so) at the start of these matches he flew his plane to the corner of the map and just stayed there.  I cannot remember the exact numbers, but he lived quite a bit and won almost 40% of his battles. 

While I never played warplanes, I have seen enough of the AFK stuff in this game.  I am sure there are legit times like when their service goes down, but it makes me wonder how many do it on purpose.  Some will truly just be AFK and never move, and others seem to just set it on autopilot and point to a corner of the map.  

I don't understand the benefit of this.  A lot of the times they are on the bottom of the scoreboard with zero xp.  

Edited by mpwardawg
Spelling

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
8 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

There's a lot of ship misidentification. Is a kleber really a dd? Pretty sure it's a cl without a cit

That's so true isn't it lol

Members
158 posts
8,286 battles
3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

50% of all Doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

Point is that stats aren't everything and that "there is always someone faster" when one is discussing Old Western Movie Gunfighting.  ;-)

I said nothing about players with WR at or below 50%. I was commenting on WR down around 40% combined with thousands upon thousands of matches played. At some point those players contribute no more than if they had simply sat there afk.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Mustang2209 said:

While playing DDs have a steep learning curve, they're not unplayable.  Just need to know your ship capabilities, limitations, radar ships on enemy team, CVs on enemy team and actual objectives to win.  Don't yolo, screen your friends with smoke when necessary, keep your AA off when enemy planes are around unless spotted and other stuff.

With over 18k battles I think this is a rhetorical question.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Maybe they were all in coops to complete the 30 torpedo hits mission requirement.

Yeah but why you could whip that out with a cv game

I mean they're so many other better ships that do more why play them right

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
9 minutes ago, Mustang2209 said:

But really why go through all the trouble so many other ships to play that way easier and you can do more with.

Personally I've been trying out the HE Spamming cruisers and finding I have way more impact in the battle playing those why go through all the trouble to play a destroyer anymore?

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
20 minutes ago, clammboy said:

That sounds about right there didn't seem to be an abnormal amount CVs players in tiers 8-10 so I saw the same general DD population . When there seems to be a lot Of CVs around I play the Massachusetts this ship is not only fun to play but can hold it's own against CV's even higher tier CVs .

There are actually some DDs that with just a little AA upgrades can fend off a single CV if the CV is not a Unicom player, double CVs in high tier get more difficult. I have gotten some fun idea for weekends in my Shimakaze by switching out the 12km torpedoes for the 20km which  after getting in some practice figuring out how to optimally aim 20km torpedoes I can score hits without putting my DD in quite as much risk if the CVs suspect I might try to go up to their larger ships to try and hunt them. And thankfully Shimakaze AA guns can do surprisingly high AA damage for an IJN DD and if I dart in close to an allied AA ship to combine the AA I can often get off the hook without losing Hap or very little HP lost.

What shocks me is the 20km tors have 2.5km detection range on them and on weekends they still manage to score quite a few hits. Think my current 20km hit record for a battle is 15 torps which was enough to be devastating to the enemy HP pool.

But even with some clever adaptations there still are times when the CVs are just too numerous and too skilled to use a DD. And at that point the trick is recognizing that you have at minimum likely entered into a few hour stretch of nightmares for DDs and switch out. Yoshino has actually been a fun ship to use during those times as the 100mm IJN AA mounts put up some nice flak, and you can drop 20km torpedoes into the water to nail unsuspecting enemy ships that are either heading into a bottleneck or sailing long distance in a straight line at about 20k damage per hit plus what ever damage you manage with the main guns.