Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Best Commander Trainer?

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,491
[-K-]
Members
8,349 posts
14,149 battles

I've never done the calculations, so I'm curious......a tech tree T10 ship with full camo/signals, or a Premium T8 ship with full camo/signals?

Looking to finally get around to possibly training up the unique commanders such as Kuznetsov, Auboyneau, and Lutjens, so I'm just wondering which would be the more efficient ship type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,032
[BNKR]
Members
1,624 posts
2,516 battles

I would assume the tier VIII premium. If I remember correctly, commander xp is based on total xp earned, not base xp. So with their built-in 50% boost, tier VIII premiums should be quite a bit better. Plus you often get to shoot at targets one or two tiers higher, padding the boost. 
 

Edit: wiki says commander xp matches ship xp, then add camo and signal bonuses. 

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,590
Members
6,621 posts
20,648 battles

The Sims. A solo cap, a few defended flags, and 20k damage and win is an automatic 1800+ base xp game. That only gets magnified as you will play against tier 9's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,229
[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,460 battles

Apart from the ship types I'd add that you want to target things like Scenarios/Clan Battles.

eg. I ground out lots of EilteXP in the Sims in Dunkirk (20-30k per game), some of the other scenarios pay out well.  And a win in CB's is base 2500

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,450
[WOLFG]
Members
29,043 posts
8,295 battles

Depends on what camo you use I would think. Pretty much any of the one-use camos make the premium permacamo irrelevant as far as XP gain. (I assume credits aren't an issue for you)

In my experience, the higher tier gains more XP. Hindy is my best XP earner, even though my performance in it is subpar compared to my T8s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
32 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I've never done the calculations, so I'm curious......a tech tree T10 ship with full camo/signals, or a Premium T8 ship with full camo/signals?

Looking to finally get around to possibly training up the unique commanders such as Kuznetsov, Auboyneau, and Lutjens, so I'm just wondering which would be the more efficient ship type.

Most efficient method I found for fast captain training is to use several ships if possible. For example I wanted my mid tier RN BBs to have a nice captain as I enjoy using them. So assigned Jack Dunkirk to Queen Elizabeth and each day passed him between QE, Warspite, DOY, Nelson, and Hood. I did add that common captain XP signal flag that typically are a zillion of those lying around to each of the ships. And seems like I had Jack Dunkirk leveled up to 19 points in under a month using this process which was nice since it was one of my early 19 pointers so ECXP could not be used too much and after he was 19 points that same process was good way to farm ECXP.

Now of course you can force your way up to 19 points with premium time and a premium ship. But the multiple ships trick to farm the +50% daily XP bonuses of several premium ships and tech tree ship does seem to be the fastest method I had found. And the more premiums that are at least mid tier or higher that you add into the daily rotation the faster the captain will reach 19 points.

Gneisenau’s captain serves Scharnhorst and PE Friedrich. 

Missouri is rather unique for me as that captain never has gotten assigned to tech tree ship, instead he simply serves Missouri, Texas, and all of my premium USN CAs I gained in events or from Armory.

Now Amagi and Kii is taking a bit longer than some captains despite good progress because it’s just the those 2 ships doing that captain as I am using a slightly different captain build than that of Musashi and Yamato. So while the double ship trick does certainly help, as I said using several ships is the fastest method. Have not tried adding ARP BBs into a much longer rotation chain yet, and would be interesting to see the results of tier 5s instead of tier 6+ added into the mix. But I imagine they could be still be efficient enough. IJN is one of those nations where you have enough premium ships on the market that if you have the ability to spend cash on the game you could easily end up with a ton of 19 captains.

Only drawback to the using several ships to level up a captain is if you are doing a very specialized captain you may end up with a rather restrictive pool of ships that you can efficiently train them on, like Bismarck’s manual secondary build is not as efficient on tier 7 and under. Or torpedo enhancements will not be good on a ship that lacks torpedoes. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,543
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,145 posts
18,994 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I would assume the tier VIII premium. If I remember correctly, commander xp is based on total xp earned, not base xp. So with their built-in 50% boost -

Which is built into the camouflage. OP mentioned full camouflage / signals, so that evens out between the two. In which case the question becomes "what makes the most XP, a T10 or a T8 ship".

That's something I've never actually done any research in, so I wouldn't be able to answer it. But I suspect it's the T10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,032
[BNKR]
Members
1,624 posts
2,516 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Which is built into the camouflage. OP mentioned full camouflage / signals, so that evens out between the two. In which case the question becomes "what makes the most XP, a T10 or a T8 ship".

That's something I've never actually done any research in, so I wouldn't be able to answer it. But I suspect it's the T10.

Are you sure? I thought the boost was built into the ship itself. I can’t bear to open the wiki on my phone again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,543
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,145 posts
18,994 battles
1 minute ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Are you sure?

Yep.

1 minute ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I thought the boost was built into the ship itself.

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
300
[PHD]
Members
1,512 posts
6,444 battles

I swap one captain between the Fubuki, Harakaze and Asashio. And another one between the Gepard, Agile and LeTerrible. But sometimes the different features of the ships will trip you up. Oh, the Fubuki has three torpedo launchers. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by GrayPanther2018
Correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,590
Members
6,621 posts
20,648 battles

Remember captains xp is based off of base xp, again, there is no base xp generating ship in the game like the Sims. As many old timers recall it was used to save stars when we had ranked tier 7 because of it's insane xp generating abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
188
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
175 posts
12,169 battles

The true answer is complex and varied because it depends on a number of factors:

  1. Do you win a lot in that ship?  Because if you do, that's an extra 30% to your base XP and no one likes wasting their expensive camouflages and signals on a loss.
  2. Do you do well in that ship?  Self-explanatory.
  3. Are you comfortable being bottom tier?  Damaging higher-tier ships seems to give you more XP.
  4. Do you like to stay at range and damage farm, or can you brawl close?  Nuking a destroyer for 20k HP will likely kill it; doing the same to a battleship is relatively insignificant.  The former gives tons of XP, the latter not so much.
  5. Can you get yourself into a position to cap or reset enemy ships?  That's an easy way to drive up XP totals.
  6. Shooting down planes helps too, but that requires a carrier who doesn't make it his life's mission to kill you.

So that all said, you have to take your play-style into account to pick the "best" ship for you to generate high XP totals.  Everyone's will be different based on their level of comfort in said ship and how their play style lines meshes with generating those high XP totals.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,031
[ARGSY]
Members
20,129 posts
14,323 battles
5 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm just wondering which would be the more efficient ship type.

The ship you can play over and over again in any mode, regardless of result. Ideally T7 to farm the F out of Narai until such time as they might bring Cherry Blossom back.

Something you can get fires, floods, torps and cits with for directives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I've never done the calculations, so I'm curious......a tech tree T10 ship with full camo/signals, or a Premium T8 ship with full camo/signals?

Looking to finally get around to possibly training up the unique commanders such as Kuznetsov, Auboyneau, and Lutjens, so I'm just wondering which would be the more efficient ship type.

Premium ships of the highest tier you can get and the more the merrier. Rotate your Cmdr through the premiums and the tech tree ship it is assigned to farm first win bonuses. Especially on days with a big first win bonus, so you will want to add flags and camo then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365
[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,168 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Most efficient method I found for fast captain training is to use several ships if possible. For example I wanted my mid tier RN BBs to have a nice captain as I enjoy using them. So assigned Jack Dunkirk to Queen Elizabeth and each day passed him between QE, Warspite, DOY, Nelson, and Hood. I did add that common captain XP signal flag that typically are a zillion of those lying around to each of the ships. And seems like I had Jack Dunkirk leveled up to 19 points in under a month using this process which was nice since it was one of my early 19 pointers so ECXP could not be used too much and after he was 19 points that same process was good way to farm ECXP.

Now of course you can force your way up to 19 points with premium time and a premium ship. But the multiple ships trick to farm the +50% daily XP bonuses of several premium ships and tech tree ship does seem to be the fastest method I had found. And the more premiums that are at least mid tier or higher that you add into the daily rotation the faster the captain will reach 19 points.

That's the same method I used that got me my first 19 point captain, but USN BB in my case. That captain was put in the highest tech tree BB I had, and then bounced him around to get all the daily win bonus, which involved 5 premium BB's plus a couple of premium cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[-K-]
Members
8,349 posts
14,149 battles
8 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

The Sims. A solo cap, a few defended flags, and 20k damage and win is an automatic 1800+ base xp game. That only gets magnified as you will play against tier 9's.

You're missing the point here.  Most know Sims has a built-in XP boost, but the question is T8 premium ships, not T7.  Plus, we're referring to all nations here, not just USN.

7 hours ago, Lert said:

Which is built into the camouflage. OP mentioned full camouflage / signals, so that evens out between the two. In which case the question becomes "what makes the most XP, a T10 or a T8 ship".

That's something I've never actually done any research in, so I wouldn't be able to answer it. But I suspect it's the T10.

That's where I'm leaning too, but am not certain.  Think @LittleWhiteMouse has any insight on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
662
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles
5 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Remember captains xp is based off of base xp, again, there is no base xp generating ship in the game like the Sims. As many old timers recall it was used to save stars when we had ranked tier 7 because of it's insane xp generating abilities.

Captain XP is based off all XP after modifiers. Then additional modifiers that affect only captains XP are applied.  I have gotten over 40k in captain XP in a single game with the right camos and a few flags installed, and I'm no unicum player.  I suspect someone who is really good can get much better than that.

Each higher tier has the ability to earn more XP than previous tiers.  Sims is good when compared to other tier 7 ships, but I'm not so sure if can outgain a T10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,491
[-K-]
Members
8,349 posts
14,149 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Premium ships of the highest tier you can get and the more the merrier. Rotate your Cmdr through the premiums and the tech tree ship it is assigned to farm first win bonuses. Especially on days with a big first win bonus, so you will want to add flags and camo then.

Fair enough.  But the question is, one for one, which one is better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,359 posts
11,269 battles
58 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Fair enough.  But the question is, one for one, which one is better?

If you’re looking for just one instead of being able to move a captain between a bunch, it’s going to be whichever you consistently do best in. If you just look at ‘normal’ modes (so randoms/co-op/ranked) that don’t have fixed base xp payouts, the t8s will make more when facing t10s but the t10s will be able to do greater damage at a time so it probably evens out. If you have a lot of premiums that you can move between, it would be the largest set of ships that can share the captain (so for me it would be my IJN cruiser captain that’s assigned to a tech tree and can run through all 10 of the ARP/dragon clones).

Clan battles is also a good source of commander xp if you can consistently win, but ops are some of the best in my opinion, especially Narai. If you run a farming div (so four or five people) and take a cruiser for the carrier or especially transports, fully kitted out for commander xp flag wise (but only using a 100% xp/c xp camo) you can easily break 50-60k a run with premium even without the first win bonus. I think my record was in the 70 or maybe 80k range with the 200% first win from a few weeks ago and an amazing performance with Helena (280k ish, 15 kills, and a bunch of awards). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,590
Members
6,621 posts
20,648 battles

I have 65 19 point captains. I know how to get them. the Sims is by far the easiest way to maximize captains xp. May not be the most exciting but easily the fastest.

1 hour ago, Murcc said:

Captain XP is based off all XP after modifiers. Then additional modifiers that affect only captains XP are applied.  I have gotten over 40k in captain XP in a single game with the right camos and a few flags installed, and I'm no unicum player.  I suspect someone who is really good can get much better than that.

Each higher tier has the ability to earn more XP than previous tiers.  Sims is good when compared to other tier 7 ships, but I'm not so sure if can outgain a T10. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Fair enough.  But the question is, one for one, which one is better?

Premium ship as you can train on it AND the tech tree ship the Cmdr is assigned to.

Edited by Kizarvexis
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,375
[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,825 battles

I would say T8 has the highest XP potential because you can face T10 and boost your income. 

 

But I think a T10 ship can overall earn more commander xp / game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
662
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles
4 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

I have 65 19 point captains. I know how to get them. the Sims is by far the easiest way to maximize captains xp. May not be the most exciting but easily the fastest.

 

Any ship you do your best in is the best ship to train captains in.  I'm just stating the earning potential, all things being equal.

Edited by Murcc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38,058
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,089 battles
12 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

You're missing the point here.  Most know Sims has a built-in XP boost, but the question is T8 premium ships, not T7.  Plus, we're referring to all nations here, not just USN.

That's where I'm leaning too, but am not certain.  Think @LittleWhiteMouse has any insight on this?

The simple answer is the following:  The best commander trainer is whichever ship you play best and often.  It doesn't matter how good the experience earning is on a given vessel if:

  1. You suck in it.
  2. You don't play it enough to matter.

Now, you'll note I didn't say premium or reward ship.  There's a reason.  Once you've unlocked a 19pt commander, anything that commander earns gets dumped into Free Commander Experience.  This pool can be spent on any commander for the purposes of resetting the skill tree, boosting the commander's skill points or resetting the commander's specialty.  Thus, if your best ship is a Yamato, then play Yamato until your eyes bleed.  Similarly, if you kick all of the butts in your Farragut, then keep playing Farragut. 

There are ships with better experience coefficients -- namely Sims and Atlanta being the most famous pair.  However, I couldn't tell you how much more experience they earn per action than other ships.  We simply know it's more (and noticeably more) than a tier VII ship.  In terms of actual experience gains, just know that the higher tier ship you perform better in, the more base experience (and thus the more captain experience) you earn.  Tier 10 ships earn double what a tier 1 ship earns, roughly, with everything in between apparently scaling in a linear fashion.  Thus a 1,500 base experience game in a tier V ship is worth roughly a 2,000pt game in a tier X.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×