You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

How Many Yammies Can Hide Behind An Island?

48 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,128 posts

Answer:  Two plus a Montana.

This what happens when a CV is not in the game

Hiding BBs.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

Ah, the famous "Let's secure a completely unimportant part of the map.". syndrome You always seem to see this in once the match starts going south which only makes things worse.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

Death balls are more common when CV's are present. Plus you have 10 vs 6 at this point in the game. 

I'm not attempting to justify the BB's, only pointing out I disagree with your CV comment.

• Cool 3

[BONKS]
Members
1,499 posts
50 battles

Implying this would be any different with a CV in the game. I mean really, why would any non-braindead CV actually attack that? Moskva and Hinden present a much easier snack.

In fact isn't that exactly what people tell others to do against CVs?

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,127 posts
7,992 battles
13 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Huh?  CVs encourage ships to passively clump up at the back of the map.  

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles
10 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Implying this would be any different with a CV in the game. I mean really, why would any non-braindead CV actually attack that? Moskva and Hinden present a much easier snack.

This. The presence or lack thereof of the CV had nothing to do with that. You can't fix stupid.

[META_]
Members
2,199 posts
7,322 battles

if you have two montanas, one yamato and a GK, you can move the island (slowly) to where it is in a far more advantageous position!! have to have speed flags on all of them.

• Funny 11

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
9 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Would the new submarines discourage this kind of play?

Unless they are near the clump of ships they will probably encourage it even more. Remember even in their last test iteration in their nuclear attack sub form there speed is too slow to get anywhere unless they are close to them.

1 minute ago, Spud_butt said:

if you have two montanas, one yamato and a GK, you can move the island (slowly) to where it is in a far more advantageous position!! have to have speed flags on all of them.

Actually they form an island on their own.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles

I see 3 players who either dont know how to play Domination mod or wont partake in domination mode...

When this happens, its frustrating.

Members
4,364 posts
11,269 battles
3 hours ago, Call_of_the_Mastodon said:

Man, why can't the BB's do that when I take my Asashio for a spin?

They probably do. Unfortunately for you it’s probably only the green enemy BBs that learned the art of ‘let’s all huddle in a ball at the back of the map and sing kumbayah’ and not the red enemy ones. Or at least that’s what it’s like in most of my high tier randoms when things start going south on my team. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,256 battles
3 hours ago, Call_of_the_Mastodon said:

Man, why can't the BB's do that when I take my Asashio for a spin?

Literally, the very first game I played to test my Asashio, (Co-op,) the MM was all cruisers and destroyers...

...first thing in chat; ‘That Asashio is so screwed...’

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,382 posts
9,778 battles
5 hours ago, yashma said:

Can be endlessly harrassed, and the concealment mechanic is pretty much worthless with CV.

This post quoted here:  /thread

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Ah, the famous "Let's secure a completely unimportant part of the map.". syndrome You always seem to see this in once the match starts going south which only makes things worse

True but you can blame the insane HE spam for this behaviour getting worse.  What BB wants to get anywhere near other ships when they get melted?  Of course this goes for cruisers and DD too, game design is really going backwards.

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles

All of those ships were operated by the swat unit, the issue you are seeing is they forget to let each other know "clear"

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Funny 2

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

No. People tell others to stick together. The hiding behind the island part is the problem there.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
9 hours ago, yashma said:

I don't get that. Can't CVs strike anywhere on the map at will? 

In any case, CVs can't be that encouraging, the green CV doesn't seem to have any effect on the red ships' positioning lol.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,127 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I don't get that. Can't CVs strike anywhere on the map at will? 

It's a combination of factors.  

The increased spotting means it's more dangerous to play aggressive as it's harder to disengage.  *The difference between aggression and suicide is a disengagement plan.  Furthermore, being spotted further out means ships come under fire from further out, which naturally encourages ships to stay farther out as they would otherwise lose a disproportionate amount of health just trying to get into position.  Finally CVs punish isolated ships, (directly and through spotting) which further dissuades aggressive initiatives and encourages ships to clump up for AAA support.  

Without CVs a loan BB player has more freedom to move about the map...but with CVs a loan BB player runs the risk of being isolated and focused down by the CV, while being unable to safely disengage (without running back to spawn) and in turn focused down by the enemy surface ships.

1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

In any case, CVs can't be that encouraging, the green CV doesn't seem to have any effect on the red ships' positioning lol.

Well yah, because there are no CVs in this game. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
39 minutes ago, yashma said:

It's a combination of factors.  

The increased spotting means it's more dangerous to play aggressive as it's harder to disengage.  *The difference between aggression and suicide is a disengagement plan.  Furthermore, being spotted further out means ships come under fire from further out, which naturally encourages ships to stay farther out as they would otherwise lose a disproportionate amount of health just trying to get into position.  Finally CVs punish isolated ships, (directly and through spotting) which further dissuades aggressive initiatives and encourages ships to clump up for AAA support.  

Without CVs a loan BB player has more freedom to move about the map...but with CVs a loan BB player runs the risk of being isolated and focused down by the CV, while being unable to safely disengage (without running back to spawn) and in turn focused down by the enemy surface ships.

True enough. That's why I prefer mid tiers, being focused isn't so much a death sentence. Even with CVs, you can still go off on your own somewhat.

39 minutes ago, yashma said:

Well yah, because there are no CVs in this game. 

Lol my bad, I missed that somehow....

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,174 posts
9,430 battles
13 hours ago, db4100 said:

Answer:  Two plus a Montana.

Hiding BBs.jpg

Complaining about it yet the context of the image is not provided. 

Zooming in we see..

A team where on the left flank the BBs initially gathered behind the island to be able to fire at whatever their DD would spot. Not a bad move considering Yamatos are not brawlers. The montana LIKELY tried to push up and the Moskva definitely decided to hang in the back and be useless. 

Green Yamato's team lost their DD early..likely because it had no cruiser support. That's when the Montana smartly turned around rather than suicide into 3 enemy BBs and 1 DD..with a 2nd DD (gearing) at B sure to flank them just by it sailing south.  Moskva was too far back and your Donskoi inexplicably chose to rush a cap solo rather than support the team at A...and you died very early, probably not long after the DD died. 

Yamatos behind island when that pic was taken only had one option... to reverse and use the island as cover to be able to turn around and flee A and regroup following the Montana. I bet the Moskva ran away and left them without support too. 

Conclusion: Poor cruiser support and lemming suiciding DD dying early ruined the BB's initial positioning where they could've done crippling damage to advancing BBs and cruisers. All they needed was eyes in the front and the cruisers screening for DDs. Aka, the DDs and cruisers doing their jobs. They didn't. Hence the whole flank collapsed.  

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

As stupid as it looks seeing all those BBs bunched up in the southwest like that, there's several reasons I can see why.  YES, it looks stupid, but:

First and foremost, this is a ROFLSTOMP match.  OP's team is in the process of getting rekt.

The OP's team lost the "DD War."  Badly.  3 DDs per team, the reds have all 3 of theirs and the OP's team has 1 left.  I'm willing to bet the southwest group is also taking torpedoes from the red Gearing coming from their northeast.  There is still the red Z-23 that looks like hasn't been spotted in ages.

"Well, shouldn't the Moskva do something about that DD?"

- Except he can't.  Not in a wide open map like Islands of Turds and there are 3 Tier X Battleships in the area looking for something to smash.  Those BBs behind the islands can come out if they want, but that won't stop the enemy BBs from focusing the easier to kill Moskva.  In addition, the Moskva player would also have to worry about shots from the enemy Moskva hitting him from the northeast if he tries to angle in against the northwestern BBs.

With the enemy team having DD superiority, unspotted DDs having ample backup, the green side BBs felt they had no chance at this.  It's one thing trading shots with Yamato, Montana, etc, but it's another if you have to try and dodge torpedoes at the same time.  Probably getting shelled by the Moskva and Brindisi at range adds even more incentive for them to do what the did.

In a curbstomp match like this, it's just plain self preservation kicking in for these guys now.  This game was over long before the screenshot was taken.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1