11 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles

With guns this big, I have a few questions. I noticed I can citadel Minotaur with them. Who else from T8+ can I citadel with them, and does that list increase with IFHE by any noticeable amount? It's a bit hard to discern without going into the game any picking through model after model in the armor viewer, and that also doesn't account for T8+ premiums I don't have.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

I remember @LittleWhiteMouse had a list.

Ahh, is it in the review? ...Actually, was there a review? I know there was a commentary about poop and WD40 and such, but can't remember. I'll go look.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,759 posts
16,727 battles
10 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Ahh, is it in the review? ...Actually, was there a review? I know there was a commentary about poop and WD40 and such, but can't remember. I'll go look.

I think it was in the Nelson review maybe, I'm not sure.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

I think it was in the Nelson review maybe, I'm not sure.

Ahh. Wouldn't that include only T8-9 ships, then?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,759 posts
16,727 battles
10 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Ahh. Wouldn't that include only T8-9 ships, then?

Probably. When she sees my ping she'll be sure to give some answers, but I don't think she's at her PC now. Give it time. :)

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,318 posts
9,284 battles

There are two criteria for Thunderer to be able to land ciradel hits against a given ship:

1. If she has enough penetration.
  2. If the target ship's citadel is abuts against the outer hull.

Both factors need to be included.  It doesn't matter how much penetration she has if the citadel isn't connected to the exterior of the ship, as an HE shell explodes immediately on the surface of whatever it strikes.  Thus, while some of the ships listed here are theoretically possible to citadel with her HE, they may not be practical targets given the size of the target area.  This makes the number of targets she can citadel with HE rather short.

Stock, Thunderer can citadel the following ships:

• Mogami - Aim for the waterline.
  • Atago, Ibuki - As per Mogami, but there's an anti-torpedo bulge in the way of most of it with just TINY sections poking up fore and aft.
  • Seattle - Aim for the waterline.
  • Chapayev, Kutuzov, Smolensk - Juicy targets here.
  • Neptune, Minotaur - Easy targets.
  • Albermarle, Cheshire - Good freakin' luck.  Aim for the torpedo recesses and hope you get luck.  The deck of these sections is your only in.  You may as well be trying to hit an exhaust port 2m wide.
  • Charles Martel, Saint Louis - The only area where they're vulnerable is directly beneath their turrets.
  • Colbert - Whereas this ship is an easy target.
  • Irian - Shares Kutuzov's vulnerability.
  • Wukong - Shares Charles Martel's vulnerability.

With IFHE, the list adds the following ships:

• Cleveland, Montpelier, Cockbote - Aim for the waterline.  Good luck.
  • Edinburgh - Like the American cruisers, aim for the waterline and hope you hit that small sliver of citadel-belt protection poking up.
  • Hakuryu - Nice easy target with a sizeable section of her belt poking up over the waterline for you to hit.
  • Implacable, Indomitable, Audacious - Easy peasy.  Aim beneath their bridge.  That target is huge.

In general, IFHE isn't worth it on Thunderer.

• Cool 3

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

There are two criteria for Thunderer to be able to land ciradel hits against a given ship:

1. If she has enough penetration.
  2. If the target ship's citadel is abuts against the outer hull.

Both factors need to be included.  It doesn't matter how much penetration she has if the citadel isn't connected to the exterior of the ship, as an HE shell explodes immediately on the surface of whatever it strikes.  Thus, while some of the ships listed here are theoretically possible to citadel with her HE, they may not be practical targets given the size of the target area.  This makes the number of targets she can citadel with HE rather short.

Stock, Thunderer can citadel the following ships:

• Mogami - Aim for the waterline.
  • Atago, Ibuki - As per Mogami, but there's an anti-torpedo bulge in the way of most of it with just TINY sections poking up fore and aft.
  • Seattle - Aim for the waterline.
  • Chapayev, Kutuzov, Smolensk - Juicy targets here.
  • Neptune, Minotaur - Easy targets.
  • Albermarle, Cheshire - Good freakin' luck.  Aim for the torpedo recesses and hope you get luck.  The deck of these sections is your only in.  You may as well be trying to hit an exhaust port 2m wide.
  • Charles Martel, Saint Louis - The only area where they're vulnerable is directly beneath their turrets.
  • Colbert - Whereas this ship is an easy target.
  • Irian - Shares Kutuzov's vulnerability.
  • Wukong - Shares Charles Martel's vulnerability.

With IFHE, the list adds the following ships:

• Cleveland, Montpelier, Cockbote - Aim for the waterline.  Good luck.
  • Edinburgh - Like the American cruisers, aim for the waterline and hope you hit that small sliver of citadel-belt protection poking up.
  • Hakuryu - Nice easy target with a sizeable section of her belt poking up over the waterline for you to hit.
  • Implacable, Indomitable, Audacious - Easy peasy.  Aim beneath their bridge.  That target is huge.

In general, IFHE isn't worth it on Thunderer.

Ohh, I figured it wasn't worth it. I just really like dreaming of the what ifs. :Smile_teethhappy: Thanks a ton for all this info, Mouse! Really appreciate it! I figured Smolensk might also be quite vulnerable, but pleased to see even more ships! I like to light BBs up when I feel a good chance shows itself to make them feel like they pushed too far, too fast, and when I first dev struck a Minotaur with HE, it got me wondering just how viable that HE can get against things other than the small cutes and the manly man ships. It's become a bit of a passtime of mine to light Kremlin on fire since I got this ship, honestly. It just feels good to bully her.

Doubt I'll use IFHE unless I suddenly decide I hate very specific T8-10 CVs, but which ship is Cockbote again? I can never remember, despite you saying it ohh so often in reviews. I thought it was Colbert for a while, but it seems not. Now my guess is Worcester again.

Also, I've got a question. I keep hearing all this hubbub about aiming being broken for a while, with shells randomly going crazy. Have you done tests on this, and is this the case or not? Even Flamu's been saying it, so I figured you'd be the best person to ask, as you test ships like it's going out of style.

[CS7]
Members
89 posts
2,287 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Chapayev, Kutuzov, Smolensk - Juicy targets here.

One question: Can Goliath citadel Smolensk with her stock HE?  It will make the grind even more worth it if the answer is yes!

[HYPE]
Supertester
158 posts
9,562 battles
8 hours ago, Maddau said:

One question: Can Goliath citadel Smolensk with her stock HE?  It will make the grind even more worth it if the answer is yes!

With IFHE yes, but at stock its 58 mm penetration is 2 mm short of Smolensk's 60 mm belt.

[CS7]
Members
89 posts
2,287 battles
29 minutes ago, Horizonwalker said:

With IFHE yes, but at stock its 58 mm penetration is 2 mm short of Smolensk's 60 mm belt.

This, along with the ability to relaibly damage the Kremlin is added temptation to pick IFHE for my UK CA Captain.  Will have to see how the 9.2s do without it.  Their HE looks very strong stock.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.