You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

When something you do wrong goes right

19 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles

Just now, driving my Kronshtadt, I fat-finger my radar while reaching for my repair party, and radar a Kagero that was trying to sneak around. He didn't live long.

Anyone else had a moment where you make a mistake, and it happens to turn out well?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,262 battles

For me it’s more often to opposite; reach for one thing and fat finger two things, (usually hydro or smoke... :Smile_sceptic: ) Often when it’s least likely to be of any actual use.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
469 posts
4,399 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Just now, driving my Kronshtadt, I fat-finger my radar while reaching for my repair party, and radar a Kagero that was trying to sneak around. He didn't live long.

Anyone else had a moment where you make a mistake, and it happens to turn out well?

was playing a bit to agresive with the gneis fighting the mushashi and run into an island when a wild kita appeared right next to me from the otehr side... i panic and send the torps.

shot-20.02.05_23.32.48-0770.jpg

The-A-Team.jpg

Edited by pepe_trueno

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,815 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well I was with a clan mate in DIV in my Asashio went to torpedo a BB about 6 k away in there cap scored 1 hit didn't sink the BB  but the torpedoes continued on for another 10 to 12 k further and sunk there undetected CV

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles

Nice one, Lert. 

Two days ago in my Brindisi, I was fighting CQB in a cap with a teammate and an enemy cruiser (Chappy iirc).  Anyway, I wanted to switch from SAP to AP but selected torps and almost murdered my teammate who, after berating me for almost killing him once the Chappy was dead. Moments later, my torps that had missed everything nailed a surprise Yugumo who was unspotted to that point. 

Teammate didn’t say thanks, of course. But the raging did stop :-p

[YORHA]
Members
5,017 posts
10,004 battles
12 minutes ago, Lert said:

50% of the time just pushing the "Battle" button qualifies for me.

• Funny 2

[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles

Playing the Yoshino, flubbed the first torp drop on a Kremlin.  The missed batch went about 10km and hit a Buffalo that was dodging another batch of torps.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles

Congratulations Lert! 

Mine is less fat fingering (which I unfortunately do often) and more of the random torp pleasant surprises.

Latest was in a div with a clan mate. Was in my Black and released a volley (really zone denial) at a Richelieu. Waiting to see if it was going to hit and a unseen red Kitakaze exploded in a channel ending the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
9 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Playing the Yoshino, flubbed the first torp drop on a Kremlin.  The missed batch went about 10km and hit a Buffalo that was dodging another batch of torps.

I have had that happen quite often when salvo chasing too.

0 posts
38 minutes ago, Lert said:

As I was just arguing in another thread, nothing is pure luck in WOWS, you create opportunities and you exploit opportunities, some do that better than others/ You just let your subconcious radar fetish fat finger the consumeable, then your frontal lobes recognized the opportune "luck" and you reacted smartly. I'm sure Einstein came up with E = mc2 with a fat fingered "mistake" that turned out just fine.

(I often play in a darkened room at night, can barely see the keyboard, fat fingered opportunities are fairly common. All in all, I think the results are neutral, enemy benefits as often as I do)

[TARK]
Members
6,653 posts
2,527 battles

I learned that fully maneuvering TBs do not widen the actual spread of the torpedoes...it RANDOMIZES it...

I was trying to get a DD with torpedoes as he sailes through a channel...turned as dropping so as to get a diagonal pattern, and was rewarded by a perfectly parallel extremely tight drop that he dodged easily.

Now, whenever i face a DD that knows how to dodge, i give him a surprise.

Its fascinating to watch them dodge based on the plane vector and then get hit by the random direction of the drop.

Muhuhahahahaha!

[WW2]
Members
354 posts
6,911 battles

Just now in my minekaze rushed and launched at a New York. Ny dodged everything and the torps hit and dev struck an emerald that was unseen nearby. That was the only kill by my team...sigh.

Edited by Darmokattenagra

[WRHD]
Supertester
333 posts
4,639 battles

Lert how about the many times i've aimed my torpedoes at red team USN BB's only to hit red team German ships that were behind them (which you've witnessed personally how often that seems to happen for me).  I mean like Bob Ross used to say, "there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents."

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

Week or so back, driving Fuso.. aircraft spot a DD about 25k out..  pop spotter and line up the shot because I have killed DD at extreme ranges before.. and if you don't try you'll never succeed.  Shots out and the DD changes course the moment I fire.  Yea he's running that commanders skill  . Gonna miss no matter what start looking for other targets as my spotter planes goes away.. 12 seconds later I detonate the enemy CV..  Never even saw 'em.. and yes, I did get "reported" because I never targeted him at all, didn't even know it was there..

Unfortunately a 2 CV fight.. the other CV came after me like the hammer of god... I didn't even make it to the ten minute mark...  and the other teams remaining CV being so focused on avenging his fellow player led to him getting sunk about 20 seconds after I went down.. I was the only ship he hit.  They lost.  

Moral of the story.. Don't get distracted from your job

Members
5,365 posts

When working on low tier French DDs, dropped a rack of torps, I believe targeted at a Wakatake, I watched him maneuver enough that they would miss, but 30 seconds later, a Shenyang I didn't even know was nearby came around a corner, ate them and died.  ROFL.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,183 posts
19,043 battles
1 hour ago, EroSun said:

Lert how about the many times i've aimed my torpedoes at red team USN BB's only to hit red team German ships that were behind them (which you've witnessed personally how often that seems to happen for me).  I mean like Bob Ross used to say, "there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents."

Yeah that became a meme after the first few times. Good times. :D

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,830 battles

Threw a full salvo of AP at an angled Kurfurst in my Thunderer at 16km. I’m thinking it was a throwaway shot to get HE loaded. The AP salvo Dev Strikes an undetected Zao in front of him that was broadside to me.  I think the GK rammed him and was pushing him forward because I put a little lead into the shot. 

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,242 battles

I once was sailing along heading for the cap in my Boise, did a turn to duck behind an island when my thumb hit the center pad on my laptop and fired. Dev struck an enemy t9 DD that was undetected in the cap. Was accused of cheating in chat by the player, but was a very lucky mistake. Got first blood LOL.