You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

An Idea To Help Destroyers

56 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,128 posts

Not too long ago you had to get a "Captain skill" to be informed that you are spotted.  WG decided to just give it to everyone later one, and that is what we now have.  When I am out in the middle of now where and I get spotted, I know that a destroyer is nearby and I take precautions like changing course, speed, or even activate radar.  When the prey is aware that it is spotted, it is as if the destroyer itself got spotted and now lost its main advantage.....stealth.  How about just do away with the "spotted" warning?  Not even make it a "captain skill", just remove it.  You shouldn't be able to know that you are spotted anyways, that is the strength of stealth and surprise.  This alone will make destroyers more playable and enjoyable.  Of course the battleship and cruiser mains are going to be crying and whining about this.....

• Cool 6
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 5

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,378 posts
20,047 battles

At WG headquarters QA

Would this help the bad battleship player?

Then that would be a  NOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by NoLoveForPhatShips
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
24,829 posts
25,916 battles
15 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Not too long ago you had to get a "Captain skill" to be informed that you are spotted.  WG decided to just give it to everyone later one, and that is what we now have.  When I am out in the middle of now where and I get spotted, I know that a destroyer is nearby and I take precautions like changing course, speed, or even activate radar.  When the prey is aware that it is spotted, it is as if the destroyer itself got spotted and now lost its main advantage.....stealth.  How about just do away with the "spotted" warning?  Not even make it a "captain skill", just remove it.  You shouldn't be able to know that you are spotted anyways, that is the strength of stealth and surprise.  This alone will make destroyers more playable and enjoyable.  Of course the battleship and cruiser mains are going to be crying and whining about this.....

I'd love for the situational freebie skill to be removed.  Furthermore, even if they reincluded it in the skills you had to pay to attain, it should be more costly than a meager single point skill.  I'd suggest deleting the Radio Location skill and putting Situational Awareness into its 4 point slot.  This should be a costly skill.

Hell, I'd prefer it if they'd remove the priority target skill too, though I suppose that they could merge it with Situational Awareness, if it was a 4 point skill.  That said, this would leave a 1 point skill slot open and a new one would needed to take that slot.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
4 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

At WG headquarters QA

They made it a zero point everyone has it skill because it was a must have and it was IIRC a four point skill which put those without 10 points at a big disadvantage and not just BB players, try being a DD player that doesn't know if they are being looked at.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
24,829 posts
25,916 battles
6 minutes ago, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

At WG headquarters QA

Phat, you're probably right.  Strangely though, last I knew, WoT still required you to buy the same skill for a tank commander.  It's never been a freebie in WoT, last I knew.

[O7]
Members
5,361 posts
11,868 battles

pretty smart, suggest a bad idea and preemptively call anyone against it cruiser and BB whiners.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles
43 minutes ago, db4100 said:

How about just do away with the "spotted" warning?

How about just give CVs back their RPF skill, would you like that?

Members
477 posts
8,135 battles
4 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

pretty smart, suggest a bad idea and preemptively call anyone against it cruiser and BB whiners.

It’s only a bad idea if you’re a BB CA/CL.

I think it would fit nicely with the new BB anti torpedo module.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,700 posts

DD as a type are fine. Want the help DD mains? Remove their chat feature. There will be less whining and the masses will start to care more. 

Just kidding!

But seriously.... Removing AA from DD entirely except AA picket DDs would help keep them closer to fleet AA bubble and reinforce the mutual support balance of the game and reduce the yolo solo capicide trash. 

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[SBS]
Members
5,903 posts
32 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

But seriously.... Removing AA from DD entirely except AA picket DDs would help keep them closer to fleet AA bubble and reinforce the mutual support balance of the game and reduce the yolo solo capicide trash. 

Sure you could do that.  However, it would be like limiting BB gun range to say 18 km or less, because everyone complains about BBs sitting in the back all game doing nothing useful.  People wouldn't be happy being forced into game play that doesn't fit the optimal use of their ships.  By not optimal use I mean no choice in how to best use your ship. Sometimes its best to move up and push, sometimes its best to sit back.  Take away the choice and people would rightly be mad.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

Seeing as how WG has been moving towards making it more clear that you are spotted and what mechanic you're spotted by, I don't see them going way back in the other direction. 

How long ago was it that you needed a captain skill to know you're spotted? Been here three years now and I don't remember that. 

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,085 battles
5 hours ago, db4100 said:

getting told you been spotted has been in game since closed beta for ever ship

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles

It used to be a 1 point capt skill, and it should be put back to that, its there if you want to use it but it will cost you 1 point

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

DD as a type are fine. Want the help DD mains? Remove their chat feature. There will be less whining and the masses will start to care more. 

Just kidding!

Keep them close to the fleet and totally pointless to play since they are stuck to the fleet and not doing the list of things every other big ship expects them to do. Yeah that's a great idea... :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles

We do need something to incentivise spotting and capping by DD's more spotting EC ?? better AA ?  . Would like to see DD rewarded for team play ...Instead of getting wreaked 2 mins for doing the right thing .....

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
5,361 posts
11,868 battles
13 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

It used to be a 1 point capt skill, and it should be put back to that, its there if you want to use it but it will cost you 1 point

The whole reason is was removed and standardized is because it wasn't optional. 

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

I think implementing a Radio Range attribute into the game is a much smarter and more intuitive balancing method.

They could literally make it so if you are too far from an ally that is spotting an enemy, it only shows on your mini map.

Imagine having to be within 10km of that friendly DM to share the full spotting data when he pops Radar.

Imagine the CV itself having to be very close to his allies to give them shared spotting (increasing the risk to match the reward).. otherwise, they only see targets spotted by its planes on the minimap

Imagine the BB not having anything to lock on and shoot at if they sit in the back camping.

They could even get rid of the current RPF and simply make it a 4 point captain skill that boosts your radio range

That is one way to certainly balance the game a little closer to Risk vs.Reward

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
19 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

They made it a zero point everyone has it skill because it was a must have and it was IIRC a four point skill which put those without 10 points at a big disadvantage and not just BB players, try being a DD player that doesn't know if they are being looked at.

It cost 1 point and was typically the first point you chose; and often the only 1-point skill you chose because the rest of the 1-pointers were just bad.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It cost 1 point and was typically the first point you chose; and often the only 1-point skill you chose because the rest of the 1-pointers were just bad.

Ah, I forgot about it being a one point skill for awhile but it started out as a four point skill but it was a must take skill that everyone took.

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
42 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

I think implementing a Radio Range attribute into the game is a much smarter and more intuitive balancing method.

They could literally make it so if you are too far from an ally that is spotting an enemy, it only shows on your mini map.

Imagine having to be within 10km of that friendly DM to share the full spotting data when he pops Radar.

Imagine the CV itself having to be very close to his allies to give them shared spotting (increasing the risk to match the reward).. otherwise, they only see targets spotted by its planes on the minimap

Imagine the BB not having anything to lock on and shoot at if they sit in the back camping.

They could even get rid of the current RPF and simply make it a 4 point captain skill that boosts your radio range

That is one way to certainly balance the game a little closer to Risk vs.Reward

Radios could transmit for hundreds of miles.
Maps are less than  30x30 kilometers.

The "targeting data" needed for accurate firing solutions is part & parcel of the "time compression" used in the game, I think.  The data might take half a minute of "real time" but mere split seconds of "game time" due to "time compression".

The value of spotting is greater than the risk of continuously maintaining radio-contact with the rest of the fleet.  So, that constant flow of communication allows Radio Direction Finding to work.  (In theory, eh?  Because this kind-of goes out the port-hole when there is only one ship on a given team left afloat.)

Good luck.  Have fun.  :-)

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Radios could transmit for hundreds of miles.
Maps are less than  30x30 kilometers.

The "targeting data" needed for accurate firing solutions is part & parcel of the "time compression" used in the game, I think.  The data might take half a minute of "real time" but mere split seconds of "game time" due to "time compression".

The value of spotting is greater than the risk of continuously maintaining radio-contact with the rest of the fleet.  So, that constant flow of communication allows Radio Direction Finding to work.  (In theory, eh?  Because this kind-of goes out the port-hole when there is only one ship on a given team left afloat.)

Good luck.  Have fun.  :-)

Simple fact: This game is arcade and not a sim. Balance is paramount and this game has the worst seen.

Simple fact: When ships were spotting in real life they did not "lock-on" to holograms nor had an electronic heads up display showing a render of the enemy ship.

There is no point referring to anything historical nor what happened in real life. This game might as well be Star Trek on the water.

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,180 battles

12 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

This game might as well be Star Trek on the water.

[KOHAI]
Members
84 posts
3,100 battles

I think OP is on to something, with that said, WG will never remove the detected indicator. This is an arcade game and as such has many crutches that a simulator would not. I thought RPF was going to ruin DD play for me entirely, but it hasn't. It's sure annoying to deal with, but usually I manage. Radar, as a DD, is incredibly annoying to deal with, however, WG thinks it's a good idea to allow it to magically work 9-12km without line of sight. Basically, this game is full of crap that doesn't make sense, but makes life easier for us most of the time.