Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pompey_3

Disconnect penalties

13 comments in this topic

[TCCN]
Members
1 post
9,386 battles

This afternoon I was disconnected from the server while a battle was loading. When I tried to reconnect I got a "Server Unavailable" message. When I finally was able to reconnect I found I had been assessed a 3 battle penalty for "not participating" in the battle. Later this afternoon the disconnect happened again and this time I was assessed a 7 battle penalty. Why should I be penalized for your server problems?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,088 posts
18,898 battles

Being pink is not a 'penalty'. It's not a punishment. It costs you nothing. No XP or credits are taken from you. Nothing happens. It's a warning.

As for why - this is (ostensibly) a team game. A player who drops connection - through their own fault or, in this case, not - is still leaving their team down a player.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
10,277 posts
17,456 battles
5 minutes ago, Pompey_3 said:

This afternoon I was disconnected from the server while a battle was loading. When I tried to reconnect I got a "Server Unavailable" message. When I finally was able to reconnect I found I had been assessed a 3 battle penalty for "not participating" in the battle. Later this afternoon the disconnect happened again and this time I was assessed a 7 battle penalty. Why should I be penalized for your server problems?

Try doing a file check.

[OTHF]
Beta Testers
7 posts
4,008 battles

It's been happening a lot to me lately also. Yesterday got kick 4 times one game and three another game. I wish they would get it fixed.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
6 minutes ago, silvirviking said:

It's been happening a lot to me lately also. Yesterday got kick 4 times one game and three another game. I wish they would get it fixed.

I suspect, its your GPU drivers...

Its sure not on WG end...

[-WS-]
Members
115 posts
6,831 battles
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

Being pink is not a 'penalty'. It's not a punishment. It costs you nothing. No XP or credits are taken from you. Nothing happens. It's a warning.

As for why - this is (ostensibly) a team game. A player who drops connection - through their own fault or, in this case, not - is still leaving their team down a player.

Kinda odd when the GAME is at fault you get punished...happened to me many times lately and its annoying.

[-WS-]
Members
115 posts
6,831 battles
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I will try that next...ty for the suggestion.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,088 posts
18,898 battles
10 minutes ago, Scottsds said:

Kinda odd when the GAME is at fault you get punished...happened to me many times lately and its annoying.

The GAME doesn't know what happened. As far as it's concerned, you disconnected. It doesn't know what happened. Maybe you had a power outage? Maybe you raged and pulled your internet cable?

Thing is though, the GAME is rock solid stable for the overwhelmingly vast majority of players, leading me to suspect that the fault / disconnect lies elsewhere.

"But everything else works fine!"

Yes, but everything else doesn't take the same route to their respective servers that the WoWs packets take, and -

"But I have this good internet!"

... the vast majority of that route is outside WG and your ISP's control.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

We did this with my problem. I was crashing when relogging from a disconnect in air mode. The GPU drivers loaded from a clean box fixed that crashing problem. But never the disconnects.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
6 minutes ago, Wepps said:

But never the disconnects.

For this, I posted what to do in your thread but I will do it here as well...

In your case, its a ISP routing issue.. You can try to have your ISP change your traffic routing.. OR your last resort, get a VPN...

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
13 hours ago, Lert said:

The GAME doesn't know what happened. As far as it's concerned, you disconnected. It doesn't know what happened. Maybe you had a power outage? Maybe you raged and pulled your internet cable?

Thing is though, the GAME is rock solid stable for the overwhelmingly vast majority of players, leading me to suspect that the fault / disconnect lies elsewhere.

"But everything else works fine!"

Yes, but everything else doesn't take the same route to their respective servers that the WoWs packets take, and -

"But I have this good internet!"

... the vast majority of that route is outside WG and your ISP's control.

Here's the rub....I've been disconnected at least a hundred times since my return a couple weeks ago. I have never been penalized, even if the match ends before my return.

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
10 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

For this, I posted what to do in your thread but I will do it here as well...

In your case, its a ISP routing issue.. You can try to have your ISP change your traffic routing.. OR your last resort, get a VPN...

I don't know what it is. Perhaps it's because I use Windows 7.

Before, the game had always been perfectly stable to me. Disconnects were rare, and always they involved my ISP. The reason I don't think that's the case this time is because no other online games I play are affected. Only this one now since my return. I have a very good network. I've run extensive tests through that network in 15 minute increments of constant testing. There are no anomalies.

I've disabled any anti-virus when playing, so it can't be that. And yet typically I log on and might have 3 matches with no problem, then by the 4th I will be constantly plagued by the disconnects. We know it isn't my computer or resource usage, it never exceeds 20% when playing WoWS. We know the driver issue was resolved which caused crashes on disconnects when flying aircraft. None of the things I've done has affected the disconnects themselves.

It's something else.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,182 battles
14 hours ago, Lert said:

Why do you bother to post this nonsense?

Clearly, there are a great many people who have server issues with WG, as anyone who is actually playing the game knows. In nearly every match these days, people are speaking about it. 

It is a great myth that connection and network problems are to blame, beyond the control of WG.

I played Eve Online for years, and never once had the game play issues I have regularly with WG product. Not once. Not only that, such things were unknown in the community.

CCP games, the company RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PRODUCT, evidently knew how to make a massive online player experience without these problems.

WG are frankly shabby. Their marketing is shabby, their product is shabby, their customer relations are shabby. "Shabby" means second rate. It means others do it better, in the market. It means there are scandals, and lose ends, and things that never seem to work properly.

Now, that is not to "insult" WG, or their staff. They know they have quality control issues. They must.

If we are going to speculate about why servers are not handling the loads placed on them, it would be rational to suppose that WG are leasing "just enough" server space, and lack redundancy headroom to make up for peak activity. To cut expenses, they are likely pushing their leased server space to the limit.

We have all seen how this corporation prioritise customer satisfaction, and profit. The idea that WG would err on the side of redundancy in server capacity is frankly absurd. This is the company that gives out literally useless premium skins for ships that already have them, in exchange for real world currency. This is the company that brought you the "Research Bureau" as a new feature in the game. You think THIS group of traders is going to spend an extra dollar on server capacity?

Maybe they do, but the presumption has to be against them. WG do not deserve the benefit of the doubt, after their recent displays of values. They are on thin ice, as far as reputation is concerned.

Regardless of where the technical fault is, the professional responsibility lies with WG. It is their product. Nobody else is going to solve their problems for them.

I presume their executives get paid executive salaries. If I were a major shareholder, I would be fixing these recurring problems by making incentives that permitted the executives to fix them easily. Show me the incentive, I will show you the outcome.

As it stands, the product is shabby, and doesn't work properly for a large number of customers, a significant proportion of the time. This has been going on for a long time now.

Clearly the incentives for the executives are not aligned properly.

Edited by SidTheBlade
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this