You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Scharnhorst HE or AP

10 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
129 posts
4,543 battles

In several battles I have been against enemy battleships coming towards me bow on. I am playing the Scharnhorst, I noticed several times that AP was not doing much damage. However, when I switched to HE, I did much better, especially when starting fires. I love the 20 second reloads, especially when the enemy battleship is not paying attention to me and I can light them up!

Edited by WM1957

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,911 battles

Both. Due to the caliber, your not likely to get overpens on superstructure, so AP is still viable on bow in targets.

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
341 posts

Yeah, you're better off firing HE at bow-on BBs in many BBs, depending on the BBs in question. But you're pretty much always better off doing that in the Scharnhorst, given your small-caliber guns. Those guns are built for murdering cruisers, not so much BBs. Though it's true that if you have a good shot at the superstructure with AP you should definitely take it.

Edited by Hermetica

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,911 battles
9 minutes ago, Hermetica said:

Yeah, you're better off firing HE at bow-on BBs in many BBs, depending on the BBs in question. But you're pretty much always better off doing that in the Scharnhorst, given your small-caliber guns. Those guns are built for murdering cruisers, not so much BBs. Though it's true that if you have a good shot at the superstructure with AP you should definitely take it.

Yep, said better then me. 

Also, depending on target distance, aiming center mass with AP will cause a bunch of shatters. Aim at the bow, aft, or superstructure at 12km-15km.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,581 posts
15,693 battles
37 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

If Im in a heavy T9 BB game in my Scharny, sometimes I only shoot HE

This

31 minutes ago, Hermetica said:

This

19 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

depending on target distance, aiming center mass with AP will cause a bunch of shatters. Aim at the bow, aft, or superstructure at 12km-15km

and this

Depending on being bottom tiered, equal tiered, or top tiered. Especially in the Scharnhorst. It is probably one of the easiest BB's to slip into battlecruiser or open water heavy cruiser mode in the game.

Beta Testers
3,110 posts
25,929 battles
46 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

In several battles I have been against enemy battleships coming towards me bow on. I am playing the Scharnhorst, I noticed several times that AP was not doing much damage. However, when I switched to HE, I did much better, especially when starting fires. I love the 20 second reloads, especially when the enemy battleship is not paying attention to me and I can light them up!

It all depends on the target and the circumstance that you are in and that opinion  goes with any ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

The answer is yes, use the one that works for that situation. If AP is working, few bounces or over penetrations use AP that and if that is happening use HE.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

If you can aim well (above 25% hit rate)  ,  use AP  for 80% and 20% for HE.  if you are poor at aiming (hit rate of low 20%)  go with HE.     I tend to use AP most of the time even in   t9 unless it is    nosed in  soviets BB  lol.      most other bb can pen at upper belt at side and  super structure for good dmg.  

[SALVO]
Members
24,800 posts
25,884 battles

Scharnhorst, AP or HE?  Yes.  :Smile_trollface:

Seriously though, it's VERY situational.  It's not a lot different than if you're in a non-IJN super cruiser at tier 9 or 10.  You have to choose the right ammo for the situation.