Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
spmdougherty

Commonwealth BB tech line proposal

4 comments in this topic

[TFA]
Members
26 posts
7,073 battles

Here is my view of what a Commonwealth BB line should look like.

An interesting feature could be more AP focused, fast for their tier, but with a better than average heal a la higher tier UK ships and American style AA at tier 8 up. weaknesses could be poor torpedo protection, especially lower tier as all are WW1 era designs, and meh secondaries. Fast long-range sniper-style gameplay.

starting at Tier 4

HMAS Australia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Australia_(1911)

Tier 5

HMS New Zealand. Slightly tougher than Australia. Maybe with fictionalized post-Jutland 'what if no Washington Naval treaty' upgrades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_New_Zealand_(1911)

Tier 6

HMS Malaya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Malaya

Queen Elizabeth in her 1915 as built configuration as it's stock module, but with Queen Elizabeth stock module as an upgrade.

Tier 7

HMCS Acadia

This was a proposed Queen Elizabeth variant offered to Canada that was voted down by Ottawa in 1913. Uptiered fictional Warspite upgrade for WW2 service.

Tier 8

uptiered Hood variant. Call it 'HMS Erin'.

Tier 9

possible name could be 'HMS Newfoundland'. The Renown as rebuilt for WW2 service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renown-class_battlecruiser

Tier 10

possible name could be 'HMS South Africa'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G3_battlecruiser

what say you?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[F4E-2]
Members
486 posts

YES...to the ships, Especially the Acadia, But I think the Commonwealth tree should be more of a knife fighter than a sniper.  tankable armour, great secondaries, great heals, great accuracy at mid to short range. Just like the Perth and Haida. Basically make it so when then reds see the Acadia they all pile on cause they know they cant let it get close. The Q.E.s are t6. The only Canadian mods I have heard for them were strengthening the hulls for ice, which I asked a naval engineer about and he said it involved more bracing inside the hull and an extra layer of armour at the waterline, and raising the 6 inch casement mounted guns. The 6 inchers were replaced with turrets later anyway. So a Canadian Q.E. could have a bit more displacement and torpedo protection due to the hull strengthening, a slightly different armour scheme due to the moved 6 inch casemate guns, and a great heal cause Canadians get crapdone.  T7 though faces T9 and there are a lot of 16+ inch guns up there and all the fast BBs. maybe buff the turret traverse and reload due to the great crew training?  I havent found any proposed speed upgrades yet for the Q.E.s that would put them even close to 28-30 knots. If anyone has any or can lead me to anymore info on the Q.E.s and their evolution I would appreciate it.

[TFA]
Members
26 posts
7,073 battles

The current meta is very long-ranged, and long-range BBs would be a good complement to the tanky CL/CA and DDs, but you could nerf the heal in exchange for better secondaries, maybe with dedicated hulls?. The higher re-load would be good trade-off (a la Scharnhost) for the lower gun caliber for the tier. I was thinking a tech line like this could serve as testbed for eventually adding dedicated Battlecrusier lines to the game (especially UK and Germany, maybe even Japan with a re-arrangement of the BB line).

It would make a lot of sense to have tougher QE type at tier 7, with those upgrades.

[4-FUN]
[4-FUN]
Members
142 posts
9,001 battles

Commonwealth Navies have a lot of options in several lines as you mentioned,

Slightly off topic from BBs, but important to note;

CVs:
HMS Vengence, later renamed HMAS Vengence when the CV entered service in the RAN in 1952, after which she was replaced by HMAS Sydney in 1955.
- Vengence was a 1942 light fleet CV, putting it at roughly T7 onwards, similar to HMAS Melbourne. Vengence also went on to the the Brazilian Navy.
- Sydney is a later design of the same CV type which was called the Majestic.

Light Cruisers: RAN had three leander class ships including the Perth which we have.

- Pelorous & Town classes (roughly T2).

Heavy Cruisers: HMAS Canberra, Kent sub class heavy cruiser and HMAS, Australia and Stropshire which are roughly the T6 Londons.

DDs (could go up to TX)
There were also plenty of DDs from with classes entering service up to 1957, and several since, the latest entering service now is the Hobart. Considering the likes of the Smolensk and Calbert have entered (1950s ships), there is no reason a RAN DD line couldnt be developed up to the 1950s DDs, such as the Battle class (WW2/1940s DD and similar to the T9 Jutland) and Daring class. 

Edited by CC123

Sign in to follow this