Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
drunkenduncan

WG why not try something really different for a change?

6 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
117 posts
3,922 battles

WG is easing the game towards greater ‘accessibility’ meaning an arcade fps is becoming more of that (generic FPS)….  and less ship like with every change.   Most folks (probably) could care less if the latest ship has guns the length of the ship and does 100 knots.   Does it win?  That’s what counts…..   So that is one set of players.   There is another group, here for different reasons.  Try some stuff to see if they are a significant subset?  Worth catering to on some mode limited basis?  To find out try building something really different for a change, in a scenario or ‘halloween’ style mode.

Disable:

-          Priority target

-          Radio location

-          Health bars

-          Ship types/names

-          Ship icons, period

-          Blind/island fire (ie can only shoot at ship directly spotted)

-          Radar/hydro through islands

-          Lots of other stuff I am sure, eg reduce ship acceleration, variable visibility etc

Introduce:

-          longer games

-          nation vs nation lineups

-          low tiers in special modes which provide high tier xp credits

-          Historic battles (eg Heligoland bight “Mists of the North Sea” tier 2  brit cruisers and DDs vs german cruisers and DDs, etc etc etc)

-         variable visibility ie a 'dynamic' storm with visibility wobbling between say 4 and 12 k.  Or something.

Yes this is an arcade game.   Of course not all of the above, these are just ideas.  Pick out one or three…..   Point is WG never ever makes special stuff which eases towards greater realism.  Not ever.  It is always Halloween dripping ghouls or ‘space battles’ etc.   Or some mode where 70 knot DDs reload torps in 10 secs or whatever….  Isn’t there some subset of players who lean the other way?  I am one, most of the interesting historic ships are concentrated lower tiers.   And I would be interested to try greater realism even if only no PT or RDF and a historic early tier line up.     

WG has all the tools they need to really try some different stuff but being stuck on a powercreep+high tier+player churn game model they are ignoring what I feel is the potential draw of the ships themselves.   For example the Weymouth represents a class of WW1 cruisers with a very active and interesting RL history.  However to WG the Weymouth represents useless tier 2 content that was barely worth creating….  Hmmmm  I sense a contradiction.   They need to remember they have a niche game, what is the niche?   And they do have a captive set of players who are here because of ships.  Not Halloween ghouls… ships.  So try tossing a bone to what are probably some of the most loyal players?  Because interest in ships only takes you so far when all changes for years on end are in the direction of ‘accessibility’.

I also think they will ‘lose’ trying to make a generic FPS as others do it much better.  They need to emphasize strength not weakness.   The masses will never give a crap about ships so in the end other faster and better balanced FPS will ‘win’ in that marketplace.  So forgeddaboutit already.

No I have no ideas how to monetize the above, how did space battles make them dollars?  Same idea different ‘clientele’.   And I agree it is obvious their current gameplan involves nothing even remotely like the above.  They seem committed to making sure the game meta is in constant flux, that powercreep promotes dollars to keep up, that player churn is fine, that there must be a FPS market out there they can tap into, etc.  I get all that.  Just floating a different approach because why not?  It could be a cheap experiment for them and who knows?   Maybe more folks interested than they assume.

• Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[TARK]
Members
6,606 posts
2,522 battles

Yeah, ive been thinking lately that the other game does the more simulation stuff and this game is doing the more arcadey stuff to not compete against the game that shall not be named.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,108 posts
5,508 battles
32 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yeah, ive been thinking lately that the other game does the more simulation stuff and this game is doing the more arcadey stuff to not compete against the game that shall not be named.

True.  This game even advertises itself as an arcade shooter as opposed to a simulator.

Members
5,160 posts
60 battles

WG has already made abundantly clear that they will not have their games to be a simulator-style games, just to make this game "more competitive" & to compete against a game that I'm not gonna name.

Sure, you may think your idea is good for the market & maintaining player base, but it's not good for WG to maintain game balancing as well as to what they stood for. They knew that game is in complete mess & they're not going down to that path

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,481 battles
2 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

it's not good for WG to maintain game balancing

With 5,109 posts and 60 battles, play the game and you will eat those words fast. 

3 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

as well as to what they stood for. 

Stood for? Profits over players is the only thing WG stands for. 

4 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

game is in complete mess

Yes it is.

Who talks like this? Get back to work and fix your broken game. 

Sign in to follow this