You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tim__2016

Tier 9 donskoi

15 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
383 posts
17,063 battles

Anyone here use steering gears 3 on this ship. I don't use concealment on hindenburg and I use steering gears 3. Hindenburg tough ship and donskoi not so. Thoughts?

[SIDE]
Members
4,708 posts

Donski isn't as protected as Hindi, especially in turns. I'd rather go dark, get concealed and turn than rely on a couple seconds faster turn response while spotted. The Don is very different from Hindi. It's much more specialized as a bow on gun platform and less flexible in other roles. Play it carefully and be mindful of concealment distances and times. I agree that concealment for either ships is preferable.

Edited by thebigblue

Members
111 posts
5,439 battles

Concealment upgrade only works if 1) you don't fire your guns for 20 seconds, and 2) a ship is within that 10% zone between your normal concealment and the reduced concealment with the mod. Considering that you are a long range ship that fires on cool down, the amount of time you can use that concealment is limited. It does help you sneak in closer for radar, though, and it does have the dispersion penalty for enemy fire.

Of course your armor is thin, and the rudder shift mod helps you mitigate damage through dodging at range instead of bouncing with your armor... but once an enemy has a bead on you or you are too close to reliably dodge its usefulness quickly falls off.

It really depends if you want to be a back line sniper or stick at a closer range.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles

It comes down to your play style but by maxing the rudder you will have to play like this and if you are constantly firing you will never go dark anyway.

s58TTiw.gif?noredirect

• Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,682 posts
9,528 battles

I find the extra concealment much more useful, allowing you go dark and reposition easier (you do not want to be caught in a turn in any Russian cruiser), as well as pushing your concealment closer to your radar range. Donskoi has the speed and accuracy to really ruin a DD’s day if you catch them with your radar.

Members
7 posts

I play Donskoi as an open-water long-range HE spammer. At 15km or so, with steering 3, she's very difficult to hit by anyone if you WASD out of the way and have room to move. Skipped conceal because having my guns firing constantly negates conceal bonuses anyway.

Nowadays I prefer Smolensk, who is much better equipped for these tasks than Donskoi, but Donskoi is still plenty viable for that style of play

Edited by ChillOutDudeItsJustAGame

[WOLFG]
Members
29,138 posts
8,353 battles
3 hours ago, ChillOutDudeItsJustAGame said:

I play Donskoi as an open-water long-range HE spammer. At 15km or so, with steering 3, she's very difficult to hit by anyone if you WASD out of the way and have room to move. Skipped conceal because having my guns firing constantly negates conceal bonuses anyway.

Same here. 

I was torn on which to use, (I use rudder on Hindy) but I had an extra rudder upgrade handy, so decided to try it, with the knowledge that I would spring for a concealment mod and switch if necessary.

So far, I'm ok with the decision. I'm running the range upgrade as well, so once I get the upgraded FCS in a couple games, I'll have 20.6km range. I have no trouble hitting with Hindy out that far, so the Russian guns should be no problem.

I figured I would tough out Donskoi, (wasn't fussy on the reload time vs. gun calibre) just to get a premium Moskva. But so far, I'm actually liking it, and it's still stock.

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLF4]
Members
383 posts
17,063 battles
4 hours ago, ChillOutDudeItsJustAGame said:

Nowadays I prefer Smolensk, who is much better equipped for these tasks than Donskoi, but Donskoi is still plenty viable for that style of play

I use steering 3 on Hindy and that is the way I play the ship. KIte and fire and use spotter plane.

Anyway after not playing the Donskoi for a long time I decided to play close support for dds at the beginning match or try anyway. So far been working pretty good. Also have gone dark couple times and caught  dds by surprise. (radar) 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
On 2/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, Tim__2016 said:

Anyone here use steering gears 3 on this ship. I don't use concealment on hindenburg and I use steering gears 3. Hindenburg tough ship and donskoi not so. Thoughts?

Don't bother with concealment you will be shooting all the time anyway

[-AGW-]
Members
980 posts
13,606 battles

Concealment is still good for some of those times you simply need to go dark. And when you run out of map you will need it.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I found donskoi to be downgrade to chapy due to slower reload and less useful radar.          I did worse the second time through the grind as meta has changed a bit.  chapy was still fun  though and I rediscovered how much fun shchor is.   its more fun than smolensk to me