Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Burnsy

Players Who Really Like Operations, A Question

26 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts

If you haven't heard, some months ago WG had said that fixing the missing operations or adding new ones, is not a current priority.

I sort of get it.  The playerbase for them is smaller than randoms and it doesn't directly make WG any money. 

What if it did though?  What if there was such a thing as a premium operation?

Say it costs about the same as a T8 premium ship, around $50.  Also say that it's a really good operation.  Very well done.

What you get for your money, is 24/7/365 access to the operation.  It never rotates out.  Maybe it is also multiple tiers, maybe you can select what tier to queue up for and it scales to that tier?  Maybe it gives a small percent more XP than a normal OP of that tier?  Like a premium camo. I dunno just throwing out ideas here to give it value. 

You also get exclusive access to the operation.  Meaning that unless you purchase it, you cannot join it.  This helps to keep out players that aren't so serious about operations.  Maybe the types of players who ignore the cruiser doing transports in Narai and sink one of them in their BB from the middle of the map because either "lulz", or they simply refuse to learn why that is a bad thing.

Before you say it, yes I know about the hoperations group and they are a fantastic bunch of guys.  I learn from them nearly every time I join their group and I really enjoy playing with them.  They set the gold standard of how operations should be done. My schedule doesn't line up with theirs all that much these days though.  It's a shame but it is what it is.

Anyway, WG gets money, the players get permanent access to good operations with a bit of a "filter" on them to hopefully cut out some of the less serious operations players

Win/win?  Would you buy it?  Would you buy it if it was say, $30?

I know I will get some flak for even mentioning this but such is WoWs forums. I expect it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
15 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

No

3 minutes ago, idropdimes said:

Terrible idea.  

Some feedback on why your would or would not would be cool.

Members
57 posts
8,627 battles

Because you want to put Operation content behind a paywall.  Kind of a kick in the nuts telling people who already paid for premium time that they have to shell out more money just to play on a map.

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
4 minutes ago, idropdimes said:

Because you want to put Operation content behind a paywall.  Kind of a kick in the nuts telling people who already paid for premium time that they have to shell out more money just to play on a map.

Thanks.

I don't personally see a lot of difference than say buying premium time, then buying a premium ship or camo to stack with that premium time.

I appreciate your opinion and thoughts.  Admittedly, this very well could be a terrible idea.  Wouldn't be the first one I ever had :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
4,300 posts
4,564 battles

I'd say spending a bit of extra sub money to earn victory rewards even in a loss would be more interesting. That way your time doesn't feel wasted. Add a weekly or monthly scoreboard/hall of fame rewards for doing well or doing well in all four classes in that time span.  

Edited by Yoshiblue

[-PVE-]
Members
588 posts

I spent real money for premium time and I have to pay again just to be able to take part in an operation?

No.

Reminds me of the Research Bureau. Even though it is technically free, one can see the thinly veiled goal of getting players spend real money to skip the tedious grind just to get those "rewards".

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
491 posts
11,264 battles

I enjoy operations and am one of the rare folks on forums that have no issues with most of WGs ways of monetizing the game, but monetizing Ops doesn't sound like the best way to go.

It would be a small $$ ROI for the amount of howling and pitchforks that would likely occur.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,724 posts
21,431 battles

I'm not sure the queue times wouldn't be too long. Wouldn't want that at all.

[4HIM]
Members
3,013 posts
12,518 battles

Eh, if you want to monetize them just return those retired Ops and make them where only players with premium time can access those.  IIRC, I read somewhere that WG makes more selling dubs and premium time than selling pixel boats.  

But WG cares not.  They're too target fixated on subs right now to care about anything else. 

• Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,362 posts
10,396 battles
3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

<snipped for brevity>

Win/win?  Would you buy it?  Would you buy it if it was say, $30?

I know I will get some flak for even mentioning this but such is WoWs forums. I expect it.

If I've already purchased "premium time", I expect access to all the "premium" content.  :-)

What may be more aligned with your "bring back the operations" theme is "crowd-funding".  People pay money into a fund specifically towards having one or more operations brought back into the game or for the creation of new operations in the game.  The operations are available to everyone with the usual/current restrictions.

Why this game doesn't have "design your own map" tools (like StarCraft did) is anyone's guess.  ;-)

[EQRN]
Members
2,023 posts
17,372 battles

I’d like Operations like Cold Waters - a single player PVE campaign-like event.  Jingles did a series of videos on it.  

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,755 battles

I see several comments above to the effect that "if I paid for a premium account I shouldn't have to pay again for a premium operation".  Without commenting on the merits of OP's idea...paying for a premium account doesn't exempt you from paying for any OTHER premium content, does it?  Last I knew, those who have premium accounts still pay the same for premium ships as everyone else...don't they?  Ditto for the various special premium cammos, and everything else.  So, I guess I don't understand the reasoning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "free".  I spend (almost) no money on the game.  I also understand that WG HAS to make money; that isn't optional.  But that's a whole other philosophical conversation, which has already been debated to death.  My point is just that, while I personally wouldn't be likely to pay for a premium operation, I don't get the argument that "it should be free because I have a premium account".

[SYN]
Members
15,855 posts
12,803 battles

for $40, you can buy a full campaign naval combat game, Cold Waters. It is rated 9.2/10

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,147 posts
16,812 battles

Image result for no thank you meme

I honestly don't think that charging to play operations would ever work. I get thinking outside of the box and all, but paying for premium time and the occasional premium ship, and then having to pay to play the game would probably kill my enthusiasm to do so. I would love to see old operations brought back however I understand that it's not a priority for the developers at this time. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,991 posts
9,972 battles
3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Thanks.

I don't personally see a lot of difference than say buying premium time, then buying a premium ship or camo to stack with that premium time.

I appreciate your opinion and thoughts.  Admittedly, this very well could be a terrible idea.  Wouldn't be the first one I ever had :Smile_teethhappy:

Because even without paying for Premium time I still can play every aspect of the game... PVE, PVP, Operations, Ranked and Clan Battles.

[O_O]
Members
673 posts

These Operations are not coming back for two reasons:

Research Bureau: WG will no longer allow easy free experience farming in a PVE mode

CV Rework: WG will not take the time to install and then balance the new aircraft into the Operations.

The sooner we come to terms that these Operations are not returning, the better.

[SBS]
Members
5,896 posts
40 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I’d like Operations like Cold Waters - a single player PVE campaign-like event.  Jingles did a series of videos on it.  

I've always thought a PvE campaign would be something I might pay for.  A series of operation style missions that could be played single player or with others.  

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles
5 hours ago, Burnsy said:

The playerbase for them is smaller than randoms and it doesn't directly make WG any money. 

I buy ships.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,013 posts
12,518 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

MagzTV plays it regularly.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,692 posts

No.

It would further balkanize the player population into different stuff.

It's another paywall, and more content locked behind walls.

WG should worry less about whether each minutia of the game generates income directly, and more about whether the overall game is one players will want to spend money on at all. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,111 posts
13,721 battles

I sort of get it.  The playerbase for them is smaller than randoms and it doesn't directly make WG any money. 

While you can run "naked" in ops most use signals & camos it get the most out of operations.

For a single operation I would have to say no. It would be more enticing if there were more than 2 or 3 ops in the package. Some details would need to be worked out.

Sign in to follow this